All member reviews for Julie of the Wolves

Cultural themes enrich thought-provoking saga.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bylacure February 12, 2010

A small part was sexually explicit and not suggested reading material for a 10 year old. The story itself is excellent, even the arranged marriage of course is still a part of some everyday cultures, but as I stated not the kind of reading material that I want my young daughter to be reading even in small doses.
Kid, 11 years old December 12, 2010

I thought it was a little boring at the beginning, but after i got into the book i started to enjoy it. I would suggest this book to anyone who enjoys a great story. Don't turn the book down after the first few pages, because if you do you will be missing out on a great book!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMama Monagram May 17, 2011

Not for my kid

I do not like this book at all I would not tell anyone to buy it. My kid had to read this book for school and she hated it.
Parent Written byRaisingReaders September 4, 2012

Julie is the "spouse" who is raped

Yikes! One reviewer indicates there's only one instance of "spousal rape". What they fail to mention is the "spouse" is Julie! The rape is key to the story, because Julie has run away. The reason she ran away (and encountered the wolves) is the rape. Parents strongly cautioned.
Adult Written byancientonce November 27, 2011

Give a beautiful book a chance!

I'm disappointed by other comments I see here. It's true that the book suggests one incident of spousal rape. It's presented, however, in an entirely appropriate light: not graphically described, not setting kids up for emotional trauma, not instilling negative sexual morals in any way. Yes, the presence of rape is a serious aspect of the book, and parents shouldn't just toss it at their kids willy-nilly. Give this book to your children. Let them read it or read it with them. Talk about the difficult aspects of it. Shielding them from the existence of rape won't be any better for their emotional health than letting them read about it. That said, it's absolutely true that not every child will be ready to encounter these kinds of issues, and that's up to you as a parent to decide. But in general, with parental support, this book should be suitable for preteens. And, in fact, not just suitable, but with a high potential for being a wonderful experience.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byAcarefulmama October 4, 2013

Parents cautioned - Middle school reading

I remember loving this book as a young teen, and in fact forgot about the rape scene until reading it with my younger children a few years ago. We skipped those pages completely. My 11 year old just brought it home from the school library and I'm not really happy about it. I think it is definitely is a great book for middle school age kids, but not elementary kids due to that content.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythundermuffin May 5, 2013

Boring book with a sex scene

I had to read it in 5th grade for school, and the rape section was really awkward. Everyone in the class remembered the page number and everyone was saying "Don't turn to that page!". It was a little inappropriate for 10 year olds. And the rest of the book was pretty boring. To this day, the only thing I remember is the rape scene, because, well, it stuck out alot, and the rest of the book was sort of blah.
Kid, 11 years old July 19, 2011

Not good for kids under 13

I started reading this book when I was ten and loved it at the start because it had lots of information about wolves and I love animals, but then when the book went on it said how her husband ( who she was married to whe she was only about 13) tries to rape her, i put the book away and I haven't looked at it since. I strongly warn people about this. Above they wrote this under violence. For parents, I would read this book before letting your kids read it.
Kid, 10 years old January 29, 2011

Not that good...

This is a bit inappropriate for 10-12 year olds because of the rape, but other than that it was good
Teen, 16 years old Written bybreezepaw October 17, 2010

great for middle schoolers

This was a good book. i think it is good for middle schoolers who can relate to the character who, like so many of them, is searching for their identity.
Educator and Parent Written bycautiousmom July 14, 2015

Respect and Resourcefulness

Julie's respect for her father and attentiveness to his wisdom and skills is what ultimately saves her life. She's a great role model for both my son and my daughter. I read this book to my kids when my daughter was 8 and my son was 9. We're reading the sequel two years later. My kids don't remember the rape attempt. I read enough to give them the idea that Julie needed to establish appropriate boundaries in one way or another. We discussed how that issue applied to their lives at that time, and it's only those lessons that they are mentioning now. They're remembering the learning, not the rape scene itself. This is a great book. Julie is able to handle what life throws at her, and she does it in respectful and mature ways. She is an admirable protagonist, and we can all learn from her awareness, flexiblity, resourcefulness, humor, and self-control.
Kid, 11 years old October 30, 2014

Boring.......

First thing - this book is a complete book. In part 2 of the book, the story just comes to a pause. The story doesn't move along at all..... Second thing- in part 2, there is also a scene involving the girl's husband abusing her Third thing- the ending is terrible and SPOILER ALERT: the girl finds her long lost father, her wolf friend dies, and she has to survive on her own in the wilderness for the rest of her life. DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byRockAndRollKid May 1, 2014

Book with mature themes. Be careful.

this book is outstanding. It really goes into the cutler of myax. Though the book is buetiful there are iffy moments. The book has mature themes about several topics kids may not understand. These subjects include rape,retardation andother mature topics. The violence is moderate. Many animals fight and kill each other. A long that there is blood and human peril. The fact myax is with wolves alone itself is pretty scary. Many Animals get eaten described in deateiled. And one surprisingly moment is where myax's husband who's mentally challenged gets filled into raping myax. Which is also in details. This book is amazing but be careful. Sex: 3/5 (lots of hugging and kissing,many references to animals mating,myax's husband rapes myax, myax gets married at age 12 which is very weird. Violence: 3/5 (many animals are described being eaten in very bloody ways,along with that there is a rape moments,and myax ends up being beaten up and treated harshly several moments,references to child abuse also. Drinking and drugs 2/5: myax comes from a tribe so obviusly theres lots of beer, Daniels mo. talks about the French introducing beer to them and that she drank to much while she was pregant which is why Daniel is retarded or mentally challenged. Language 2.5/5:Daniel is called several names including retard,slow,dummy,and stupid. Myax also gets some insults through out the book. Talks about Daniel cursing at Myax when he rapes her.
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2013

All good until page 102

This is a good book until... page 102 then Julie a 13 year old girl is forced to do you know what with her 14 year old husband. If people look over that chances are they didn't even read it!
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2012

Not the Kind of Book I Would Read on My Own, But Great

I think this is a great book! I'm reading it in school, and so far it's been really good. I don't think this is the kind of book that I would read on my own, though. It might be hard for little kids to understand, and, also, it's a little bit violent. Miyax (Julie) is a great role model because she is very responsible, brave, and smart; she knows all about survival.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaBears April 19, 2012

This book has it's ups and downs.

The book was fascinating and very informational. There were so many things about wolves that i had no idea of! But at around page 100, we find out why Julie, or Miyax, runs from her husband.
Kid, 12 years old March 17, 2012

Julie of the Wolves review

I've read the whole series.It's delightful and awesome.I love wolves and this series :D
Kid, 10 years old March 5, 2012

mixed feelings

This was a good book but a lot of times it was hard to follow.It was also super slow at first but then it gets difficult to put down.
Kid, 12 years old December 14, 2011

Torture Could Easily Be An Audio Tape of This Book On Endless Repeat

I read this book when I was in sixth grade (2010) and I, along with the rest of my class, thought this was the absolute worst book any of us have ever read. I will remember this book for all time as the single most boring and stupid book I have ever read. To start, our class rated the book 1-10 (1 being terrible and 10 being amazing) and out of a possible 200 (there being 20 students in the class) it received a 17. Many people burned this retched novel after completing the final test. As for me, I shredded it. This book makes absolutely no since, has no plot, and nothing to keep you interested in it. The main character (myax) has an arranged marriage by some aunt of hers after her father leaves her and her husband rapes her telling her his friends were laughing at him because he couldn't "mate with his wife". She then runs away and finds wolves and acts like wolves- barking and kneeling on all fours, and they trust her and feed her and trust her with their cubs (like that would happen). She spends most of the book describing how bitterly cold the arctic is and how white it is, along with what the puppy Jello did. The resolution to the book is her wolf friends are killed and she roams the arctic alone. DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!!!! And if anybody would like a free, used copy of this terrible book just comment on this about wanting the book and I can arrange for that. I will even pay for the shipping because I NEVER want to see that book again. I may have shredded (and then burned the shreds) mine but my sister also has a copy when she was in sixth grade.
Parent Written bycswndrw November 9, 2011

Not for children

My 11 year old was given this book by a teacher. I do not think it is a good choice for children due to talk of drinking, abuse and rape. Should not be given to children to read by teachers.