Parent reviews for Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth: Junie B. Jones, Book 3

Impulsive Junie faces Career Day -- early readers.

Adult Written byWaterNymph March 23, 2011

Ahh, the fond memories. :)

Every time we had a book fair in elementary school, I would get a new Junie B. Jones. They were my favorites! Yes, Junie B. can be very silly and sometimes a bit of a "brat." But she's no different than any other normal child, and that's the beauty of this series. Children can relate to her, and Junie B. is always taught a lesson, therefore the books DISCOURAGE the "bad" behavior that Junie B. has, not encourage it. I remember a book that was about Junie B. stealing stuff from the "Lost and Found" box, and she eventually returned what she had taken and was truly sorry for doing it. What's wrong with that? In order for kids to learn something from a book, there has to be a little bit of bad behavior exemplified. Language? There is none. I don't know where that came from, but don't listen to people who say there's language. These are great for any age. In fact, I still enjoy reading them every now and then and I'm 18. lol

Educational Value
Adult Written byFSURICA June 29, 2011

Not a good example at all.

My daughter is almost 7 and is already a trouble-maker. I don't need her reading books about trouble-makers to learn more ideas. We read one book together (the one about the stupid smelly bus). She's not allowed to use the word "stupid" and yet is reading it in her book? That was difficult to explain. Then, Junie hid in the teacher's closet and missed the bus. That's EXACTLY something my daughter would do. Again, this book just gave her more ideas to get in trouble.
Parent of a 3, 10, 11, 12, 16, and 17-year-old Written byAlyssa_299 August 12, 2010

BAD! SOOOOOOOOO BAD!

This has words that you don't want your children to see/hear.
Why would you call a person dumb, dumb bunny, and stupid!
And why would you hide in school when your supposed to go home!
Is this even okay for your children!?!?
Horrible!

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byChuckBV January 29, 2010
(This review is specifically for "JBJ and the Yucky-Blucky Fruit Cake") Junie B. Jones takes the wrong tack to the problem of being amusing to both young children and the adults who read to them. Junie B. is over the top, and her mangled grammar and complete lack of self-discipline is admittedly funny for both adults and kids. However, I prefer to speak to my daughter in the in the way that I want her to speak, not in a way that will prolong the cute babytalk phase. I found myself correcting grammar on the fly in this book. Junie B's disrespect for friends and family sound familiar but, even with a lot of "should she have done that?" and "how do you think her friend feels?", it sends the wrong message. Our first of these books will be our last.
Parent of a 5-year-old Written byJulieMis October 18, 2009

Maybe 8 and older, or be sure that the adult explains rules.

My son is reading this series in kindergarten, and he just said, "dumb dog" for the first time. He said Junie B Jones says, "dumb". Not pleased that he is learning bad words from a book his kindergarten teacher is reading to him!
Adult Written byPoneloya April 9, 2008

Awful

I am left of the left when it comes to most anything in this world. And, I eagerly encourage my children to read and love books. HOWEVER, Junie B. Jones is the closest I've ever gotten to banning a book in our house. The grammar/language is just horrible and the stories of misbehavior are way too numerous and validates, for a preschooler,rude behavior.
Parent of a 5-year-old Written byKFonda22 January 11, 2021

Teaching kids to using insulting language

I was very dissapointed in Junie's frequent rude and innapropriate language. She uses the phrase "big fat mouth" and "stupid" often and never once does an adult reprimand her or tell her that it's rude and mean to refer to other people in that way. We teach kindness in actions and words in our home and when my daughter's teacher started reading this series to her kindergarten class I was very surprised by Junie's attitude and behavior.
Adult Written byBook reading dad May 17, 2020

Terrible influence for young children

Barbara Park should be ashamed for writing such awful “children’s” books! Terrible grammar, words like dumb, stupid, hate are strewn throughout so much that I have to skip entire sentences on every page because I don’t want my kids being exposed to this drivel. These are now banned books in my household.

Adult Written byMelisamae18 November 10, 2019

Dumb, Stupid and more

So I bought set of chapter book for my 2nd grader.
She was reading beside me and we both looked each other when she read offensive words!
I stopped her and didn’t want her to finished it. Just not right! We teach our kids to be good person but this book unfortunately is not! Don’t buy this book!!
Adult Written byMadison T. May 7, 2018

Best Children's Series

Growing up I vividly remember reading the Junie B. Jones series. I am currently 20 years old and one year away from getting my BA in English which will then take me to get my Ph.D in Speech and Language Pathology. Clearly, the books poor grammar did not traumatize me and, if anything, it only inspired my love for reading and writing.

For the reviews that state that the Junie B. Jones series is excessive and too mature for children are overreacting. Similar to most children series, this novel is FICTION. The bad language included in the series such as "dumb" and "stupid" are far less inappropriate than the language that has probably slipped out the parents mouths at some point. Nonetheless, I believe that the child should be taught that it in inappropriate and/or mean to call others dumb and stupid rather than secluding them from the words/themes that they will come across in the classroom anyway.

It truly is unfortunate that some children are not allowed to read this series as it was such a large part of my childhood.

Overall, I suggest you try the series out with your child and see if it is suitable for your family or not, but remember not to judge too quickly as Junie B. Jones does get reprimanded for her naughty actions.
Adult Written byelliek February 19, 2015

READ ALOUD!!

This is fun for kids because this is silly. Park had (I understand she passed away last year ) a great ear for the way kids interact. This is enlightening for grownups because if you listen you might finally understand some of what you may have thought was mystifying reasoning on the part of your kids. And, ok this is me, it is an absolute hoot to read aloud to a kid!
Adult Written byMuttly13 March 23, 2012

Great family fun!

Most Junie B books contain some language and name calling you may not want your younger kids using, such as "stupid" and "Dumbbunny". Words are also purposely misused or mispronounced (this is in fact positive for young readers, but I will leave the professional talk to the professionals). All of the seemingly negative stories mentioned here are in fact covered in both a comical, touching and ultimately, positive fashion. If you can parent your way past that, these books are great fun. My children have never laughed as heartily as they have at these stories. They are all excited to read and reread these stories and they never seem to get old. Great for family, out loud reading or K-1 level readers on their own.

Parent of a 5 and 8-year-old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

This is great!

I would suggest to read this WITH your child so you can point out grammar mistakes and not OK behavior. But this series is very fun and cute really for any age.
Adult Written byTechnocrat September 29, 2011

Unacceptable Language

The character in the book uses words such as "stupid" and "dumb" liberally to call individuals. It also uses name calling on other kids. These are not what I want to teach my kid.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bysethypoo2000 March 8, 2011

Good For Kids, Teens, And Adults

It Is Pretty Good

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byohya August 22, 2010
Parent of a 7-year-old Written bytullyjohn May 19, 2010

Don't go judging Junie B.. she's just a fictional character that's fun!

parents get up in arms about the way she talks and her "naughtiness", but, come on... did the 3 stooges act appropriately? Lucy from Charlie Brown cut him down constantly and yanked his football away! It's funny and it's FICTION! As a kindergarten teacher of 25 years, I read ALL of her stories every year after lunch at quiet time..... I simply change "stupid" to "silly" and "hate" to "don't like". (personal preference on my part) The lessons Junie B. learns are timely... to return things, not to jump to conclusions, etc. And as for the way she talks, kids hear OTHER kids talk like that all day, I listen to kids talk like that all day... doesn't make ME talk like that~!
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byBMCDERMOTT February 16, 2010

I think this book is very cute, my 7 yr old loves it. She loves all the Junie B Jones books.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written bylabtop909 February 6, 2010

BAD ROLE MODEL

Junie is apealing but also a bad role model. Her languge includes words I don't want my kids saying(Not curses... but not good) Her stories include hideing out in the supply closet after school, her mother being pregnant, giving herself a haircut, and dragging a dead fish on a leash and calling it a pet. Junie also is a little voilent. Although her actoins are great comedies, it is bad role modling. I would not let my kid read this.

Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written byJazzerGyrl December 16, 2009

My Daughter Loves Junie B.!

Junie B. Jones is a great series for the early independent reader. I love the different situations that Junie B. winds up in, and I love that her parents are stern with her sometimes akward behavior. These books read like a conversation with a first grader, which is appropriate for little ones just learning to read chapter books, but it drives me nuts... =) My daughter has every book and absolutely loves reading them again & again.

Educational Value