All member reviews for Just Listen

Teen angst and serious issues; best for mature teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySosie98 April 3, 2011

Just Listen and Keep Listening!!!

This book is deep and seriously great.If you ever want a book that's dramatic, funny, and definitely sad, this is the one for you. I would absolutely reccomend it to a friend. The messages are great, and Whitney's overcoming of her eating disorder shows that anything is possible, as well as Annabel's admission during the trial of Will Cash. Owen is a great support system and shows that sometimes great friends come in weird packages. I would not reccomend this to younger kids however, because it definitely is a little iffy for a younger age. I did put a highlight as educational because I think it educates children on bad decisions and other things they might need to know for high school.
Teen, 14 years old Written byerinl_2008 July 15, 2010

LOVE

Loved this book! SO much!
Adult Written bywildsoftbal0614 April 9, 2008

I seriously could not put this book down!

I usually am not much of a reader but for some reason i bought this book. When i started reading it, i just couldn't stop! I read it in one weekend, which is pretty amazing for me! It is a really great book I would recommend it to all girls around 16-25. It is sooo good!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byHopeinJC February 19, 2010
Not at all appropriate for middle schoolers and I am angry my 7th grader's literature teacher is recommending it to all the girls.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymetry January 9, 2012

Theme

As a freshman in high school, I think that this is a great book! but parents should know that there are inappropriate scenes and messages. Although there are good role models, such as Annabel and Owen, Annabel is not a role model in the beginning but is one at the end. The theme is to tell the truth and do not always keep everything to yourself...there will always be someone to help you carry the burden no matter if it's big or small.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaraturtle February 12, 2010

Great book for kids over 13!

I loved this book. Annabel and Owen form an unlikely friendship and it teaches kids to talk about their problems. My only concerns are the rape, but that also teaches kids to be aware.
Teen, 15 years old Written byerinadorereadin122 July 22, 2009

Simply Adore.

Im gonna start off by saying i absoloustly adore this book. I love how Dessen uses things that actually happen in High School. How deceiving things can be and how life always has new turns. Showing how parties can turn out to be dangerous and how there are people out there who suffer from eating disorders and such really puts an affect on the reader. The book also shows how the "outcast" could always turn out to be your best friend if you just give them a chance. I love the message this book has even if it has to use some unhappy things to portray it.
Adult Written byDJgirl April 9, 2008

Just Read It!

In Just Listen, Sarah Dessen creates a realistic world that any teenager would be familiar with and explores it fearlessly. She neither dumbs down nor cleans up her protagonist Annabel's high school experience, so there are some bad words and risky behaviors included in the narrative. While sensitive issues such as rape are dealt with, they are presented in an intelligent and thoughtful way. Girls will empathize with Annabel and hopefully learn something from her story. I would strongly recommend this and other books by Sarah Dessen to girls ages 14 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNo one is alone. November 6, 2010

Its good for anyone who feels the need to relate to someone

Its a good book and i think most teens can relate to it even adults when you suffer pain you dont usually think that anyone else is in pain but when you read it you understand your not the only one and that your only human to feel what you feel
Adult Written byDawnslight03 April 20, 2010

Magnificent read for freshmen and up....

This book is very well-written, and Dessen does a wonderful job covering difficult topics. She handles an attempted rape with a conservative intelligence. Although I believe the language is too harsh for younger teens/tweens, anyone fourteen and above should be able to handle it. Annabelle and Owen are interesting characters, and their ability to live separate lives makes their relationship more realistic. The Truth About Forever is my favorite Dessen work, but Just Listen runs a very close second.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Must read for teens

This book is a wonderfull example of a good book for teen girls. The characters are complex and believable. The language, the discussion of rape and severe eating disorders, and the overall maturity of the book makes it inappropriate for tweens.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySydni329 March 8, 2012

you never know (:

I think this is a type of book that teens can relate too. Whether rape or being sexually assulted has happened to you or to your friends, you'll be able to understand what it feels like. And having someone that you never thought in a million years would be there for you when you needed someone. You never know what kind of people are out there.
Educator Written bylibrarychic April 9, 2008
Teen, 17 years old Written byForeverlyInk April 9, 2008

Speach-less

Okay, I am totally picky! I find a good book every 3years and I found this and I cannot put it down. It is PERFECT! Seriously buy it! It's an awesome story that everyone can relate to. I felt like i was watching the movie while reading it. I felt like I was the main person in the book I could seriously be seeing the words and reading the book but i was seeing everything the main person was seeing. It was soo good that im hate it for not haveing a second one to it! TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE PICKY LIKE ME...READ THIS BOOK!
Adult Written byvictorianmermaid August 6, 2015

Great book

This is a great book for the very mature young lady. It deals with subject such as rape, underage drinking and smoking. Definitely not for everyone. I personally really enjoyed this book but I didn't read it til my junior year of high school. Read with caution.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPride and Prejudice November 10, 2014

Loved it!

I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan. I've never read a book by her that I didn't like, so definitely check her out. I own Just Listen and thought it was really wonderful.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGeorgielovesbooks January 7, 2012

Amazing book, small rape scene.

This book is really inspirational. I read it a couple of weeks ago because my friend recommended it, and I loved it. The one thing I'd look out for is a small almost-rape scene. The man does pull her trousers down, but then he gets caught in the act, at the end he does get sent to prison for it. Worth the read though!
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2011

Just Read!

Amazing book. Sends a good message for speaking out. It had many adult situations and cursing. For mature audiences. Age 13+
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbbyLynn!!:)<3 October 7, 2011

AWESOME..!!:)

This is a GREAT book!! I loved it so much. I really didn't know Annabel and Owen would hook up..!!:)&lt;3
Teen, 13 years old Written byjaliep15 September 27, 2010

Perfect for teens

Loved this book, although the beginning is quite sad. but all of Sarah Dessens Books are about a person being knocked down and then growing to their full potential again.