All teen and kid member reviews for Just Listen

Teen, 14 years old Written byerinl_2008 July 15, 2010

LOVE

Loved this book! SO much!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySosie98 April 3, 2011

Just Listen and Keep Listening!!!

This book is deep and seriously great.If you ever want a book that's dramatic, funny, and definitely sad, this is the one for you. I would absolutely reccomend it to a friend. The messages are great, and Whitney's overcoming of her eating disorder shows that anything is possible, as well as Annabel's admission during the trial of Will Cash. Owen is a great support system and shows that sometimes great friends come in weird packages. I would not reccomend this to younger kids however, because it definitely is a little iffy for a younger age. I did put a highlight as educational because I think it educates children on bad decisions and other things they might need to know for high school.
Teen, 15 years old Written byerinadorereadin122 July 22, 2009

Simply Adore.

Im gonna start off by saying i absoloustly adore this book. I love how Dessen uses things that actually happen in High School. How deceiving things can be and how life always has new turns. Showing how parties can turn out to be dangerous and how there are people out there who suffer from eating disorders and such really puts an affect on the reader. The book also shows how the "outcast" could always turn out to be your best friend if you just give them a chance. I love the message this book has even if it has to use some unhappy things to portray it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymetry January 9, 2012

Theme

As a freshman in high school, I think that this is a great book! but parents should know that there are inappropriate scenes and messages. Although there are good role models, such as Annabel and Owen, Annabel is not a role model in the beginning but is one at the end. The theme is to tell the truth and do not always keep everything to yourself...there will always be someone to help you carry the burden no matter if it's big or small.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNo one is alone. November 6, 2010

Its good for anyone who feels the need to relate to someone

Its a good book and i think most teens can relate to it even adults when you suffer pain you dont usually think that anyone else is in pain but when you read it you understand your not the only one and that your only human to feel what you feel
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaraturtle February 12, 2010

Great book for kids over 13!

I loved this book. Annabel and Owen form an unlikely friendship and it teaches kids to talk about their problems. My only concerns are the rape, but that also teaches kids to be aware.
Teen, 17 years old Written byForeverlyInk April 9, 2008

Speach-less

Okay, I am totally picky! I find a good book every 3years and I found this and I cannot put it down. It is PERFECT! Seriously buy it! It's an awesome story that everyone can relate to. I felt like i was watching the movie while reading it. I felt like I was the main person in the book I could seriously be seeing the words and reading the book but i was seeing everything the main person was seeing. It was soo good that im hate it for not haveing a second one to it! TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE PICKY LIKE ME...READ THIS BOOK!
Teen, 16 years old Written byPride and Prejudice November 10, 2014

Loved it!

I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan. I've never read a book by her that I didn't like, so definitely check her out. I own Just Listen and thought it was really wonderful.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySydni329 March 8, 2012

you never know (:

I think this is a type of book that teens can relate too. Whether rape or being sexually assulted has happened to you or to your friends, you'll be able to understand what it feels like. And having someone that you never thought in a million years would be there for you when you needed someone. You never know what kind of people are out there.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGeorgielovesbooks January 7, 2012

Amazing book, small rape scene.

This book is really inspirational. I read it a couple of weeks ago because my friend recommended it, and I loved it. The one thing I'd look out for is a small almost-rape scene. The man does pull her trousers down, but then he gets caught in the act, at the end he does get sent to prison for it. Worth the read though!
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2011

Just Read!

Amazing book. Sends a good message for speaking out. It had many adult situations and cursing. For mature audiences. Age 13+
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbbyLynn!!:)<3 October 7, 2011

AWESOME..!!:)

This is a GREAT book!! I loved it so much. I really didn't know Annabel and Owen would hook up..!!:)&lt;3
Teen, 13 years old Written byjaliep15 September 27, 2010

Perfect for teens

Loved this book, although the beginning is quite sad. but all of Sarah Dessens Books are about a person being knocked down and then growing to their full potential again.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni September 7, 2010

More of the Same from Dessen

It seems that Dessen's books all follow the same storyline: A girl has a problem, meets a boy who enlightens her, and they fall in love. It's actually kind of insulting to women; we don't need boys to get over our problems. There are so many other solutions. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these books; just that Dessen sticks to one plot.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKelso:) December 3, 2011

Great Title! Totally fits in with the book!

This book is incredible. Me being 15 I felt like this book related to my life! I love this book with a passion. Im doing a book project for school now.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycnlm13 October 18, 2011

Incredible.

This book is really great for teens and young adults who understand and can fully grasp the concepts that are in this book. The book itself is simply amazing without being too in your face. All of Sarah Dessen's books are relatable and they tell stories that seem so real. It's a great read with a few swear words, references to sex and drinking.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybookkeeper July 12, 2011

One of Dessen's Most Popular- And Not Without Good Reason

Sarah Dessen books are popular but become formulaic, so read this one first- it's one of her best. In Sarah Dessen's world, everyone drinks, parties, and smokes pot. Themes are heavily hinted at, then outright explained, a disappointment for those who prefer to find the deeper meanings and make connections themselves. Owen and Annabel have a delightful relationship, interesting in all its twists and turns, but it was the subplot involving Whitney, the anorexic sister, that really captured my attention. Whitney overcoming her problems was much more exciting than Annabel overcoming hers. When I read this as a young teen, I didn't fully pick up on the hints at Annabel's almost-rape. A word on Sarah Dessen: As I said, Sarah Dessen is formulaic. Fathers are either absent or in the background; mothers are well-meaning but flawed and controlling; the protagonist is cynical or shy until a strange boy comes in and changes her perspective. You could get discussions out of any of these common features, to put a thoughtful twist on it all. (Sarah Dessen's novels are predictable enough that my friends and I use it as an adjective - "Then he kissed her in the rain! Such a Sarah Dessen moment!"
Teen, 14 years old Written byKyrabfftwer February 16, 2015

Great Lessons and Messages, Not very Appropriate

I loved the lesson the main character learned, but this book does include rape. The main character loses several friends due to hanging out with the wrong people, but learns to be honest and that hiding the truth is also considered lying. There is a little swearing but not much. The bond between her and her sisters that grows throughout the book is beautiful. I advise this be read by mature mid- teens.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 6, 2012

Love it!

Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors. I love this book. I'd say it's good for ages 14 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byi<3teenromancebooks January 30, 2012

lessons learned

i honestly think that this book was great! it really taught me a lesson about trust. Trusting people is a big life lesson and annabelle thought that she was safe with sophies boyfriend, before he abused her in more than just one way by almost mocking her at school and making her feel HORRIBLE! so i think what im trying to say is that this book shows that you cant trust everyone that walks your path and to really be aware of your surrondings because what annabelle went through was terrible.