All member reviews for Legend, Book 1

Stylish dystopian thriller in a not-so-future Los Angeles.

Teen, 17 years old Written byKatnissSwift6 June 17, 2012

Love this book

This one of the best books I have ever read!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycuriouslurker April 20, 2013

Good for tweens/younger teens

This book is an easy read for adults and fairly tame, compared to other popular dystopian YA fiction out there. Other than the relatively mild violence, there is little for the average parent to worry about. There is a little romance, but nothing more than attraction and a kiss or two. There are no "big" swear words. It was a bit simplistic for my more mature taste, but I can see why the tweens love it. I would definitely let my 10 year old read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjenjen15 February 19, 2012

Refreshing Read

This was a pretty good book. It was very entertaining and captivating, seeing I finished it in one day. It was incredibly fast paced and action packed, but at the same time, it was very easy to follow what was happening. Legend wasn't exactly what I had expected it to be, a thrilling dystopia about a girl who scoured the country for this one boy who is the prime suspect in her brother's murder. I had expected the two main characters to battle it out constantly and eventually find a burning passion for each other in an unexpected turn of events. I had expected one of the characters, June perhaps, to have a terrible hate for herself when she discovered her true feelings for Day. In Legend, I found some of what I had hoped, but mostly I found a generic average post-dystopian plot. I was a little disappointed, and thought the story line could have been a little more climatic and engaging, but I was still satisfied. This book reminded me of Uglies by Scott Westerfield, except faster paced and more interesting.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySlyScarletWard June 11, 2015

Epic Book

I brought this book with me to a week long field trip, and four people, including me, read it. I finished it in two days, and got the person sleep under me to read it. Later, my best friend read it, and gave it to someone on the airplane home. All four of them loved it, and recommended it to even more kids at my school. Even though there is violence, it doesn't go into detail, and most books geared toward this age group have fighting. The book has a great message. After June watches her country do some questionable things, she starts to wonder about what they are doing. In the end, she stands up for what is right, and doesn't follow blindly. As a side note, one of the characters call everyone "cousin," and now my best friend calls me that to drive me insane.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypondo June 20, 2012

better then even the hunger games (and this is coming from a huge HG fan)

legend tells the story of 15 year old june, and 15 year old day, when junes brother is killed, june goes undercover to find her brother's killer,day, when she meets a handsome boy who lives on the streets while shes undecover, just as june and the boy are falling for eachother, june realises, to her horror, that the boy is day, the boy who killed her brother, this thrilling dynostopian is the first in an upcoming trilogy, exciting and un-put down-able, this is a must read, i rate this on for 13 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookreader4Christ August 3, 2013

Good Role Models

I find the dystopian fiction genre very fascinating. Unfortunately, it's find one in the genre that isn't so chock full of violence that it becomes unentertaining. So I found "Legend" to be a very refreshing read. There is some violence, but nothing on the level of many of the other dystopian fiction novels out there. POSITIVE MESSAGES Despite the not-so-moral Republic, the characters in "Legend" are brave, loyal, willing to sacrifice for others, and aren't afraid to stand up for what's right. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS Switching between the point-of-view of Daniel (Day) and June, we see both sides of the story. Day is willing to do anything for his family. However, he doesn't kill. He steals and runs from the Republic, but he doesn't kill anyone. He's strongly against the Republic, and he's had some pretty nasty things done to him, but he isn't bitter or spiteful. June is determined to bring Day to justice for what she thinks he did to her brother. She's a strong, smart girl, willing to fight, but she still has a soft, caring side. She doesn't want to see innocent people get hurt. Day's friend, Tess, is sweet and caring and you instantly like her. John, Day's brother, is willing to do anything for his family--even if it means he gets hurt. Metias, June's brother who is killed, despite working for the Republic, is a brave, caring person who would do anything for June. We also see the stereotypical bad-guys, the cold, uncaring Commander Jameson and Thomas, whose biggest joy in life seems to be hurting others. VIOLENCE Metias is murdered "off-camera"; we don't see the murder but we are told about it later. There is some brief torture in "Legend". Day is frequently wounded, but rarely described in graphic detail. June is stuck competing and a fight and is wounded, although she defeats her opponent. Several characters die. SEXUAL CONTENT A few kisses. LANGUAGE Language is very mild. DRINKING Day and June both go into a bar on separate occasions, although neither drink anything but water. Later, though, both drink wine. OVERVIEW I would definitely recommend "Legend". It may not be the most thought-provoking dystopian fiction I've read, but it was still an entertaining read. The novel had good role models and was hard to put down. Looking forward to reading the sequel, "Prodigy".
Teen, 15 years old Written bySofia Rose May 30, 2015

Amzing Book

Awesome story! I finished the book in two days.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjuju riv April 10, 2014

Awesome

This book was one of the most thrilling books that I have read. Love it.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2013

Fully detailed Legend Review on vilene, positivity, and romance content

I am a mature 12 year-old who loves to read, especially in the dystopian/post-apocalyptic genre. Marie Lu is an amazingly fast-paced and suspenseful writer that I would recommend to just about anyone. She has two amazing characters as role models: June Iparis, and Daniel Atlan Wing, better known in the book as 'Day'. Day and June have incredible determination in this book. Day being determined to get plague cures for his little brother Eden no matter what, even if it means breaking into a hospital's laboratories to do it. He was born in the Lake Sector which is one of the poorer ones, and is incredibly determined throughout the book for his family's safety and well-being. June is a dedicated military prodigy who got a perfect score on her Trial (1500) which made her graduate from high school at age 12, skip sophomore year in one of the most prestigious colleges in the state, and graduate at age 15. The first half of the book is about getting revenge on who she thinks her brother murderer is: Day. *spoiler alert* The second half of the book is all about her search for truth about the Republic, the government she has practically worshipped her entire life as she realizes things are not as peaceful and black and white as they seem. The violence in this book does not deserve a 4 out of 5. True there is a lot of it, but it is hardly described, the bloody aspects never dwelled upon like in other popular books in this genre ie. Hunger Games and Divergent. *spoiler alert* June and Day have been directly affected by the Republic's cruelty. June's parents and brother are murered by th eRepublic because they found out classified information. Day's mother is unjustly killed right in front of him, and his brother, John dies in his place knowing that Day will be able to change the world for the remaining survivors ie. their little brother Eden. June and Day have three kisses, each described probably in one-two paragraphs, focusing more on the emotions than the physical action of kissing. What parents and kids need to know is that it is an astounding fast-paced novel with plenty of action and suspense to keep them on the edge of their seats for the entirety of the book. The main characters being stripped down to their very essences and their true values and morals layed out for everyone to see. This book will put into kids minds: "What would I do for what I believe is rihgt?"
Teen, 15 years old Written byZara360 September 2, 2012

AWSOME BOOK

I love this book!! though both main characters lose love ones. Day is thought to dead, but still provide for his family. June is the country's prodigy. When Metias (June's brother) is killed Day is suspected of his murder, June goes out for revenge. but both Day and June can't help a small attraction to each other that ends in a kiss.
Adult Written bymatthew Y May 26, 2015

YASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111THIS IS ON FLEEK!!!!!

I think this book is a thrilling dystopian novel. It is the first of marie lu's legend series and seriously portrays the struggels of a teen living in refuge in the future chicago
Parent Written byArtemisFDaughter May 11, 2015

Really good!

It's a great post-apocalyptic YA novel. Some close family members do get killed and there is some violence, but not too horrible.
Teen, 13 years old Written bychloe011120 March 24, 2015

Not very good

Book reviews Legend Spoiler alert. Legend starts off with some potential, but the potential is lost within a couple of chapters. First off, the two main character have inhuman abilities and are both stunningly attractive and are perfectly fit, while no one else has any unordinary abilities (although some are "attractive" and fit). Usually, I'm fine with main characters in books having special abilities and looking well, but there is a limit to what any human can do and look like, Day can jump out of a window three stories high, survive, then easily run. He also having perfect teeth while living in the slum where I doubt dental care is important. June for example is getting stabbed in the side, but just having little pain and not much more and still having beautiful complexion. Another thing is that Day and June are very alike. Same reactions to events, and similar background events. Day, a rebellious teen, causing trouble within the "republics" has a brother with a Disease and is doing whatever he can to protect his family. Day is also very intellegent, and scores a perfect score on his test. Both parents and a brother end up dead. June, also a rebellious teen, is in school training to go into the army. June is also very intelligent and, like Day, has scored perfect on her test. Her parents and brother are dead. Some differences are that Day has a little more emotion. Another thing, is that it is somewhat clichéd. It is not as bad as some books, but still isn't very original. The un-clichéd part is the country split in half and a lot of talk about the government. But the rebellious teen, the romance and the betrayal is all to familiar. Many people have fallen "in love" with this book. I can't really see why, but just give it a try for all you know, you might just like it.
Kid, 11 years old March 11, 2015

FANTASTIC-as good as the hunger games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved this book.There were thrills left and right and action.My favorite scene was the part were she got involved in the street fight.It was wonderfully written and full of action and a tweak of romance.READ THIS BOOK-IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byUna14 January 19, 2015

A very good book!

This was a very good, action packed and fast paced book. Would definitely recommend for ages 12 and up or a mature 11 year old.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLanjb203 December 1, 2014

Amazing

I highly recommend not only this book, but the whole series. I couldn't put them down and found myself done with them in a month. Marie Lu did NOT end the book with a complete cliff hanger that leaves an empty feeling inside, instead she ended it with an actual ending that reassures you of the characters. I would rate this 100 out of 5. Amazing job. Well done Marie Lu.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymarshmallow_on_fire November 24, 2014

Kid, 12 years old July 3, 2014

Okay...

I'd advise fans of the Hunger Games to read this. Day and June were very well-developed, but tend to spend too much time kissing, especially in the sequels, and the romance parts bored me to death. A lot of people get shot, but the book is still well written and a good start for fresh face Marie Lu.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJLW12 May 9, 2014

Book 1 was good (not amazing)... But the series as a whole (Book 2 and 3)was the best!

Legend was definitily an attention grabber. I read it in two days and it was very entertaining. The first installment lacked some intellectual volume, and there wasn't a lot of world building which left me a bit confused about how the Republic of America was formed. But although the first book wasn't my favorite book, I read the rest of the series and after reading the next books. Legend became my favorite book series! The book isn't risque in the least and I think anyone, fourth graders to seventeen year olds will like this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzmee April 23, 2014

Fantastic writing. If you're a Hunger Games fan, you will love this!

I still liked the Hunger Games better, but this is a great read. Marie Lu does an amazing job. I finished the book in like three days, so for me it was very engaging. I think this would be a good book for 9 or 10 year olds because it doesn't have long chapters, there aren't many bad words (only biblical ones), and there are ONLY two kisses not anything more. I can't wait to go to the library for book 2!