All member reviews for Life as We Knew It

Gripping, terrifying disaster tale will inspire discussions.

Educator and Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byLucy Lou June 16, 2010

Surprised at the 4 Star Rating

I teach in a parochial school, and my 5th and 6th grade kiddos would have a hard time with this book. As an avid reader of juvenile fiction, I think there are better choices for 5-8 grade kids. This is heavy subject matter. The author does a wonderful job of painting a bleak, dreary, frightening picture of a global disaster, and that's exactly what's wrong with it. The imagery that it creates is a heavy and grey, as if you can feel the weight of these characters around you. Sammi goes off with a 40 year old man so that her parents don't have to worry about feeding her, and her parents seem fine with that, given the circumstances. Megan starves herself to earn redemption for her sins by an unforgiving God. This perception of God is taught to her by a preacher who takes food from his congregation as they are dying from starvation. So much food that he still appears not to have lost any weight at all. I think the message of God and His church in this book is extremely negative. The main character, Miranda, chooses to give up her life by walking out in freezing temperatures in a weakened state so that her family's food can last a few days longer. Luckily, that doesn't occur, but that's about the happiest thing in this story. The ideas of taking care of your family, loving your mother and father, and selflessness are all good messages, but it's told at such a dark, emotional level that I'm afraid some children would be haunted by the tale.
Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2011

For 12 and up

I love it my whole school is reading the whole series this book is awesome!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2011

Great Book!

One of the best books ever. A teacher shared it with me in the 6th grade. Great book. High marks. A little language here and there, the whole concept really makes you put things in perspective.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byjillyme February 2, 2014

Fun disaster book with a few iffy topics

I would not give this to anyone under 14. While it is a fun, quick read it does have some mature topics such as sex, an underage girl going off with a 40-year-old man, and eating issues (one girl starves herself to death because of her view on religion). It is not a book I would give to my young teen to read on their own.
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2011

One of the best books i've ever read

When i read Life As We Knew It, i had just picked it out randomly at the library. It's a fantastic book and the second and third ones don't live up to the first one!!!!
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2013

Good but Cheesy

This book is very good. My social studies teacher had us read it. Miranda (Main Character) is a very good role model and expresses her opinions in her journal. She realizes throughout the book that life is so much more precious than it seemed before the incident. In my opinion though the ending to this book is cheesy. Nothing that leaves you hanging. For the last few chapter to, Susan Beth Pfeffer seemed she done with the book and just wanted to finish it, which may explain the ending.
Parent Written bylilubooks684 August 11, 2011

MY NEW FAVORITE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after reading this book in three days, it got me thinking what i really find important. i kept thinking i needed to conserve the food in my kitchen i got so wrapped up!
Parent Written bykatadams55 July 27, 2011

Good disaster Novel will really make you think.

When I first saw this book at a school book fair and read the back (as I always do), I was positive I'd like it, and I really did. The story is about a teenager who live in a time not too far in the future, and her world totally changes when an asteroid knocks the Moon closer to Earth's orbit. It was very dramatic to see the main character's world change from a normal life to a severe fight for survival, and the story (which is expressed through journal entries) really makes you think about what would happen to you in this situation. Inappropriate content: For this kind of book, there isn't too much too worry about (unlike the last book in the series). There are some scary moments and the occasional cuss word. Overall this is a very solid title, and I think if you're a teenager older , this is definitely worth a buy. Overall rating: In for ages 12 and up and 8.5/10
Teen, 13 years old Written byKarebearreader2011 June 29, 2011

One of the best books ever

This book is one of the best books that i have ever read. There is language here and there, but not seriously offensive. Miranda and Dan share a few kisses. A parent does commit suicide after her daughter dies from starving herself. After I read this book, it did kind of freak me out a little because I kept thinking about all that I have, and how grateful I am for all those things my mom does for me.. It even made me think about how the world could end up like that.. Anyone around the age of 11 & up can read this book.
Adult Written byFutureEnglishTeacher May 29, 2011

Gets you thinking. What would you do?

I really enjoyed this book. I think it gets you thinking about what the future might hold you. When you read about Miranda growing up because she has to and you see what life could be like without all the luxuries we have today, I think it is a real eye opener. I also felt like it was a fast read (I'm also 21....). the chapters go by fast and it is very easy to follow and understand. Some parts were sad but I think it's important for kids to realize all they have to lose. I'm more grateful for what I have now that I've read this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byily325 May 17, 2011

the best book ever

Omq i love this book i finished it in a week once you start reading this book you will never want to put it down.......<3
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm500a.d March 18, 2011

it's really good! When i started reading it i couldn't put it down at night i looked up at the moon and started wondering, if that happened us what would do?? I want to read it again but i'm scared to i don't know why
Kid, 10 years old November 24, 2010

Too scary for Kids around ten or preteens.

The first time I was able to read it, I was SO excited! My Mom warned me that it would be scary, but I thought I could handle it. "There'll just be a scary part here and there." I thought. But when I began reading, I started to get scared. I was in the very beginning part and it scared me so much! It was so scary that I tossed it onto my floor, and then I went to Mom and told her it was WAY too scary, and that I was THROUGH reading it. I told Mom that whoever made this book was a genius at horror. The possible chance I'll be reading it again is in seven years when I'm seventeen. Maybe...I don't know...
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byRunWithMe35 July 22, 2014

Makes You Think About What is Really Important

I wasn't too happy when I learned that my soon to be sixth grader has a summer reading assignment for his pre-AP English class next year. Haven't we worked our overachievers enough this school year? My aggravation disappeared when I read the book. The book is extremely well written. It is a book that a kid would want to read for entertainment. It doesn't have to be force fed. I agree this book covers a terrifying subject, but the message in the book is strong. The book makes us think about what is really important in life. I see this summer reading assignment as a great opportunity to approach important subjects with my son when he gets back from Christian church camp next week...yes, we are religious. We do not fear reading materials that make us question someone's devotion to God. I have no doubt my avid Christian reader will finish this book in one day long sitting. The book is that good. I look forward to hearing his thoughts about the characters, and the choices that they make.
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2014

Amazing, Gripping, Unforgettable Book

As the main charachter Miranda embarks on a journey to save herself and her family, you will find yourself right next to her hoping she and her family stay safe. There is a little bit of content that is slighty innapropriate, but overall it's a great book that kids and adults alike will love.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypetewentzlover69 September 28, 2013

please no

this book is not for kids, its not for anyone. no one should read this book. this is the worst book i have ever read. it makes me want to throw myself off of a cliff. its terrible. please do not read this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySavannah-j August 22, 2013

Life as we Knew It Must Read Book

This book is my favorite book of all time. I enjoy the apocalypse type books because i can get so into the book. It is frightening enough to keep me interested, and really get me to think about everything the book discusses. The first time i read this book i was 13 and it was for school. I fell in love with it and quickly moved on to the second, and third in the series. It is a great book for classes, or just leisure reading. I have since re-read the book (i am now 15) and it is still just as wonderful. It is a fairly easy read for strong readers of 13 and up, but even if you are 15 or 16 the story is still interesting. It can be scary and morbid at times for younger readers but it is an all around good book. There is only a bit of language, and only kissing, no sex. This is definitely a book you will want to keep on your shelf and re-read, i know i do.
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2013

An amazing book, but make sure you know your child before letting them read this.

This is an amazing book! It had a great theme and a great plot. The third book is the best (and scariest!) but don't bother with the second one. Before you let your child read this book, make sure that you know them and their reading ability well. There are cuss words and a lot of violence, death, and suicide. Miranda is 16 and her mom is always fearing that she will get pregnant, though Miranda swears that she would never "do anything". In the third book her older brother gets "married" when he goes to a motel and just meets a girl. He comes home and exclaims that "they're married." My librarian's son read it and she told me that he said that it was dark and dense for him, and he's 20. Make sure you know you're child's reading ability very well to see if they can handle it. The book describes that as Miranda walks down the deserted streets, she sees piles of dead bodies of teachers, friends, and neighbors. In the third book there is a very gruesome scene where they walk into a house and found a newly dead dog that had eaten his owner alive, and there is a sad scene where a beloved character dies. Though, if you feel comfortable with your child reading Twilight or the Hunger Games, this book should be OK.
Teen, 13 years old Written byK bug August 5, 2013

Woah

It was an amazing book. Incredibly relateable even though I haven't gone through a disaster like that. I thought Miranda and her family were VERY strong and brave and that it shows a great family bond. The one iffy thing about it is how the church is shown, Common Sense is spot on in that aspect of the review. I think that anyone 13 and up will enjoy this very much.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bydlorenz May 17, 2013

Must read

Just finished this book and loved it. It was very well written and hard to put down. Disturbing but not in a way that would traumatize anyone.