All member reviews for Life of Pi

Fascinating survival tale with animal facts, gory detail.

Teen, 15 years old Written bysoccergirl97 July 4, 2012

A Good Read, Gore Involved

Overall, a good read. Has some educational values, in that the reader learns about different religion and life for an average boy living in India. Much gore, but certaintly more stomachable than any other books about the Holocaust.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAgentBartowski June 29, 2012

Violent, vibrant adventure tale is not to be missed

Though it is bloody in places, Life of Pi is a brilliantly written, captivated adventure tale, told through the eyes of one of the most likable characters I have ever encountered in fiction. The fascinating detail Martel goes into concerning zoology and religion serves to make the book educational as well, though never in a preachy manner.
Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2012

Great Book

I thought Life of Pi was a great book. Pi is a great character, and his struggle to survive and learn to live with Richard Parker is an amazing story. There is some blood, but honestly it's nothing to be concerned about, there is only one scene that is gory. I think it is very interesting to hear about Pi's different religions, and how that faith helped keep him alive for so long. I found this book very well written, and a captivating read. I can't wait for the movie!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 6, 2012

Long journey with Pi, but worth it

The book is packed with religious metaphors, showing Pi's struggle to find something he believes in, and why is one better than the other? His staying on the small-island like raft with Richard Parker is one of endurance and crafty skills, like a "127 Hours" on water with better advantages. At the end you have to decide what was real and what wasn't on Pi's part, and reflect on all the lessons it brings to the table.
Parent Written bynetkabuki August 25, 2012

What if Gerald Durrell wrote the Hunger Games? It would be Life of Pi

The book starts out promisingly enough by setting up the conflict between the worlds major religions: why does each religion think it alone is the best way and all others are wrong? 16-year-old Pi is confused by this and takes the easy way out and decides he is all three: Hindu, Christian and Muslim. When he is cast adrift in the Pacific Ocean with a lame zebra, Orangutan, Hyena and Tiger for company, his ardent vegetarianism comes face to face with the worlds most fearsome predator - the Bengal Tiger. His story of survival is sometimes funny, sometimes pathetic, but mostly gory - and I mean explicitly gory. By a clever set of circumstances, Pi is left to carry his unbelievable tale with no evidence to back it up whatsoever to the folks who rescue him. The book does a good job of setting up the real question: why do we believe what we believe? This would be a terrific book for a mature teenager (especially one who is not squeamish about cutting up critters in AP Biology ) to explore. But the descriptions are so graphic, it would completely obscure the backstory - which in this case is the *real* story - for younger readers.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHugeReader123 November 28, 2012

LIFE CHANGING

Wow. Where to begin? This book taught me what it is to survive, how to live, in religion, in regular life, and on a raft stuck with four homicidal animals. This book changed my life. Literally. the first thing that strikes you is the beautiful writing, and the words of Pi and how he expresses himself. He is Hindu, Christian, and Muslim, and that just makes him more intresting. It has its parts, yes, when he talks of a parallel story to his reporters. He says stabbings and killings and canabalism. But it's so much more. It's the story of two peoples living together for their survival. Its a fictional story of the human will. The sun sets on on this book, in my brain, and my heart. This is the closest book to me, and I've read thousands. It has no cussing, no sexuality, so its perfect for any mature child or juvinile adult. If anybody else is reading this except for me as I'm writing it, read this book. It changed my life, for the better I think, and it will. It doesn't matter if your Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or Athiest. This is a book for all ethnic backrounds, for all ages. For the masses. I guess that's it. So READ IT. It's LIFE CHANGING
Kid, 12 years old March 25, 2013

Life of Pi = AWESOMENESS!!!

Its a really awesome story. Really life changing and it made me cry a couple of times. It's an engaging story and i never got bored even after reading the book fo 4 times. Its awesome.
Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2013

THE BEST BOOK EVER!

I am 12 years old and I read it when I was 11. This book to me was amazing!! I read it so many times and am now doing a book report on it! I found there was only one part that some "sensitive or squimish" kids might not like. It is when a hiyena attacks an oragotang and a zebra there is little discription about it only like 2 sentences. But over all i LOVED life of pi. If some people are a bit iffy on the idea of certain religions then I would just stay away. ( I personally would put aside that but people have their reasons) if i could i would give the book 10/5 stars and yes I meant 10 over 5!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycinnagurl February 23, 2013

Great book. Really Good

16?! i gotta say i was little surprised to see what age common sense put this book at. i Read this in 6th grade and i was 11! its really really good. worth it and educational. u might end up reading this for school but believe me this is a great read. (by the way i did not read this for school. i read it because my dad read it and he said i would like it and he was right)
Teen, 14 years old Written byGRACE_Bookworm June 23, 2013

Faith-filled story of survival

This was a well written and intense story about what it means to live, love, and survive. As a teen who loves dystopian novels, this was a different type of book than what I am used to, but I loved it anyway! It had enough spiritual content to be refreshing in today's secular society, but not to much to be overwhelming. Some parts were gory, but that is to be expected in a book about a boy surviving in the pacific ocean with a Bengal tiger. This was an amazing book for both teens and adults!!
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2013

AWESOME BOOK!

This book is amazing! Very gory, not for the fainthearted, with an intense plot and incredible ending.
Kid, 11 years old March 10, 2013

AMAZING but VERY violent and vivid and VERY gory

I loved LIFE OF PI and i think it is educational, has positive role models, even though it is very violent and graphic. in one scene pi is trying to kill a fish and he makes a great struggle and ordeal out of it because he does not want to hurt it but he has to kill it to survive. He ends up wrapping the fish in a blanket and slowly suffocating it and eventually breaking its neck. later in the book pi admits he learned to love a man that kills pi's mother and scalps and kills another man. in another scene a vivid amputation of a broken leg is described. In all though, even though this book is VERY gory it has very good positive messages some of them being, don't give up, another is do what you have to to live if its the right thing to do, and do the right thing.
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2015

Life of Pi-book review

This is a book that on surface level is a sophistacated adventure story that mixes dry humor and true scares, but if you read it at a more philosophical level is a book on the meaning of life. It truly deserves much more than 5 stars. The author in the persona of Pi brings many very deep ideas to an otherwise normal YA book. That said, there is a lot of sometimes graphic violence when a hyena killes several beloved characters ( also animals). Also, at the begining of the book, not that this is much to worry about, but Pi talks about how some hippos can become sexual deviants, and Pi ( whose real name is Picine Molitor Patel) is nicknamed Pissing Patel. But all-in-all, this is a must-read for everybody who can handle the mature content.
Adult Written byHashna28 December 21, 2014

My review on Life of Pi

Hi,as you may know i am Hashna28.I don't know about you but I just love reading fictional novels that include adventure!This book had it all.Yann Martel is an amazing author,as I have read other books by him (e.g. Beatrice and Virgil).So in conclusion I recommend you this book to read!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEbullientWombat September 3, 2014

Awesome :)

Can be read either as a straightforward adventure story but there are also various layers of meaning and insight that one can explore whatever age they are. In some of the psychology and imagery its a bit obscure, but even then it is very well written. There are some shocking incidences of gratuitous violence between animals, gory injury and towards the end, cannibalism.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2014

GOOD IDEA BUT A BIT BORING

This movie is a bit sad and adventurous - Sad when the boy's ends up alone. Good adventure when he finds a mysterious island. Scary for little kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykibble May 24, 2014

My flat-out favourite

The book, following Pi Patel and a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker, is induced with all sorts of wit and ingenuity. Of course, there is violence, albeit mild. Yann Martel is able to express his beliefs of worshiping God through Pi, and is able to tell a story that is encouraged to be read by tweens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter January 19, 2014

Inspirational

Very interesting book, a little slow in the beginning, but it gets much better. I do NOT think you should have to be sixteen to read this, in my opinion, that is being a little over protective. Awesome book, definitely read this book before watching the movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byshriya saini January 14, 2014

life of pi :) :P

this movie is very good to see ..................... i think u alll have to watch with ur childeren :) tell them about the positive site of this movie and allow them to purchase books of life of pi :) :P