Lets readers walk in the shoes of a tweenage girl.

Adult Written bysazaka April 9, 2008

I am not sold on this book

I read this book because my daughter was required to read it for school. Despite the editors claim that Lily's lying would be understood by the reader - that never really happened. The fact that the author was determined to "show us" how her lying was OK - acceptable even - really bothered me. I don't know why this book won a Caldecott Award accept for it's war time setting. The writer is talented but I question the moral message here.
Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2013

A Really Good Book

Some say this book makes kids think that lying and sneaking around is ok, but it really doesn't. Lily gets and trouble for sneaking around and a life is almost lost for her lying- the author portrays that that stuff is bad! This book is wonderful and has great historical fiction- read it!
Kid, 12 years old September 2, 2013

Just a review

I'm 12 and chose this because it was short but I myself read books 18 year olds would read.
Kid, 11 years old July 31, 2012

Lily's Crossing

Great Book
Teen, 14 years old Written byjliu198 February 25, 2009

Lily's Crossing is good in terms of story, but it doesn't make clear exactly what and when everything happened.
Teen, 14 years old Written byprimolover November 13, 2008

I had fun

I loved this book so much that I cried humorously
Adult Written byVeryThankfulMom September 8, 2010
Great descriptive writing but not for kids. Young readers likely to walk away from book thinking that lieing and sneaky behavior are acceptable. Uses a four letter word in the first chapter. If writing for children, the author must have forgotten who the audience is. As a parent, I do not recommend this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykaelalove April 9, 2008

this was awseome

it kind of confused me couse i was also reading willows run but over all it was awesome i would also recemengd pictures of hollis woods i also that that book was wonderful
Adult Written bynewjoy2day July 3, 2013

Lily's Crossing as an Introduction to WW2

I read this book for Battle of the Books in 5th grade and I feel it is a very appropriate for that age range. It is a work that is a bit slower so it takes some time to digest for younger kids. It takes place in WW2 and therefore has moments of grief as Lily deals with the death of her mother and the war overseas. This book is a gem and a great read, the only reason I say 8 and up is because the pace is rather slow for a children's book so it is wise to take the attention span of a child into consideration. I feel this book is an extremely good introduction to the topic of WW2 and should be treated accordingly.
Parent Written bywolflordz194 December 27, 2011

don"t overlook classics!

first off "it swears in first chapter" give it up good reading is always close to reality. welcome to real life!
Teen, 13 years old Written byswirlyQ April 9, 2008
This was a great book. I was required to read it for school. I liked the story and the message. Another similar book that i would definitly reccomend to people is Number The Stars by Lois Lowry.