All member reviews for Little House in the Big Woods

Classic view of pioneer life through a little girl's eyes.

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bykaloren September 25, 2009

Great series, fun, historical and great family values.

I remebr reading these as a little girl. I loved the spunk of Laura and her little adventures. I alos loved the history and being able to learn about life during the pioneer days. Now my daughter ahs read the series and is re-reading them becasue she enjoys them so much too!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bywholegrainmommy June 22, 2010

Even really young ones can love it.

I started reading this to my 3 year old and found that she LOVES it. She has certain chapters that she likes me to read over and over again, like each chapter is a self-contained book. I dont skip anything, but I do abbreviate certain parts that lose her attention (eg the detailed description of the smokehouse, how Pa cleans his gun and makes bullets, etc.) She can't sit still while I'm reading it (because there are no pictures to look at) but I know she's paying attention because we discuss it after we read. If you've got a child who loves being read to, you might be suprised how much they can get out of this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMisty waterfall January 4, 2011

Ok book for me

I have 2 say i think its for people that arent like me. I dident like it that much.Maybe its just me. I hope other people like it better than i did.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byorangehamster June 10, 2014

Enjoyable for 4 year old if edited

Finished this with a sick just-turned-4-year-old in one day! She enjoyed it and was very keen on starting Little House on the Prairie today. I skipped over the racism (reference to "darkies"), the most blatant sexism, and the beating of children. I also shortened some of the lengthier descriptions of how some tasks and chores were carried out, like smoking the venison and the cheese making, but didn't have to do that as much as I thought I would. I didn't have to edit out all of the animal slaughter: she knows how meat gets to her plate and isn't bothered by it for now. She was happy to listen to the story of Grandpa and the panther, which I would've thought was too scary. The only thing that upset her was the picture of Clarence all wrapped up after being stung by the yellowjackets, "because he can't go and play."
Kid, 10 years old March 6, 2013

Sweet Book

This is really a sweet book I read it when I was seven. It does talk about hunting and wolves but, I think it is fine if your child is not easily scared
Adult Written byTeacher and lov... October 30, 2010

My favorite as a child

A wonderful story of the life of a pioneer family. Teaches the value of work and the simple pleasures of life.
Kid, 10 years old June 30, 2009

pretty good

cute book!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaisyisAmazing May 19, 2015

Little House In the Big Woods

This book is utterly amazing and I have read it about 50 times! It shows what life was like back in the olden days and I would definitely read it again!
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2011

Best Book For You

A good life lesson
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrystle98 September 25, 2010

perfect

very great i loved it my little sister loved it i read it to her at night. there is a little violence with animals but thats fine to some ppl
Kid, 7 years old August 24, 2010

interesting book

it was good!!! it had serious subjects. it was a little long.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bysteffo February 11, 2010

Wonderful story, great family discussions of older times

My girls loved the story and adventures of the sisters! It's never too early to expose children to historical references in a fun way!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygilgamesh August 20, 2015

This really got me interested

I loved this book. One of the best.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byDogLover in DE May 17, 2015

Nice book to read with your 9 year old

I am currently reading the series with my 9 year old. We probably could have started it a year or two ago, but had a stack of other books to get through. Great for discussions on comparing our lives to those on the prairie. She seems to really enjoy them
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

Pretty good

It is pretty good. I read it to my 5 and 8 year old kids and they liked it for the most part. Some parts they found boring (and I did, too) but they liked it. There were parts that we discussed how things are different now. For example, how Laura so much dislikes her brown hair, how it was typical to smoke, how the kids were spanked, etc. The educational value is very good. It teaches history in an engaging way.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bydoubledecker29 April 6, 2011

Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2011

Good for 8+ readers

I didn't like this book that much. Laura and Mary are great role models! Laura thinks of herself as ugly compared to Mary. In one of the chapters Laura thinks that her brown curls are dirt ugly while she is thinking Mary has beautiful long blonde curls.
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byMamaRo July 18, 2010

The story is about a 4-year old girl. As long as the child has the attention span for chapter books, this should be a good one.