All member reviews for Little Women

Classic still charms despite outdated gender roles.

Adult Written byMomOfaReader August 9, 2009

Wonderful Role Model for Girls!

My eight-year-old daughter loved this book and would act out scenes, with her dolls acting as the March sisters. She especially identified with Jo and enjoyed comparing herself to her. It was good for her to see how Jo's temper got her into trouble sometimes and how Jo handled that. I especially appreciated how the March girls modeled love and respect for one's parents! I highly recommend this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFantasyFiend12 October 20, 2009

This book is absolutely gorgeous! I am normally more of a fantasy girl, but I must say, everyone should read this book. It's genius. Louisa May Alcott is brilliant. Once you read Little Women, you'll have to read all the sequels and, like me, you'll go through a major Alcott stage and start crazily reading all her books. I am starting to tear up just thinking about it. This book is so sad it gave me fever for crying so much!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymargle October 13, 2009

I have loved this book since forever and I also like all of the sequels. I would recommend this book to any girl.
Kid, 9 years old July 17, 2012

awesome book

awesome
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovie_lover7 April 29, 2014

One of my all time favorites!

Little Women is a wonderful piece of literature, I read an abridged version in 4th grade and absolutely devoured it in one night. The next day at school I asked the librarian if our school library had the unabridged version, it didn't, but my librarian brought her copy and allowed me to borrow it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got my own copy of Little Women and the sequels and have read Little Women 3 times and Little Men twice, Jo's Boys only once. Little Women is about the struggles and triumphs of the March sisters. Sweet Beth, Amy, Meg, and the tomboy Jo, they are such wonderful characters. The themes include, sisterhood, friendship, love, and family. Beautiful book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybinny September 19, 2010

for all 11+ girls

I LOVE the book as it gives many positive messages
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2010

Beautiful Book!

I love this book! It is a beautiful story about the bond of sisters & their famiy. They are always trying to overcome their own faults and be the best they can be. I cried when reading this. It's so sweet:) Stories like this never get old!
Teen, 14 years old Written bya teen book lover February 15, 2010

Good book for young teen girls

I liked the book.but not that much.i thought it was very slow and boring in spots.And i dont think boys would like it.My younger brother read it.And hated it.so i say girl only.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion August 6, 2009

Wonderful, Positive, and Moving Read for Any Age or Gender...

Parents need to know that this book is a must-read for everyone. It is a very historical look on life during the Civil War, and all characters are great role models. Honesty, love, kindness, and tolerance pervade the book. Though the title is LITTLE WOMEN, the book is written equally for both sexes, and has plenty of material to please both boys and girls of any age.
Adult Written bySarahMadison January 19, 2011

I loved Little Women by Louisa May Alcott! It is such a great story about family and friends, and an especially great read for girls. I am in High school and I love it. I could see younger girls reading it, as long as they can understand the kind of formal and kind of slang dialect. The relationship between Teddy and Jo and the other sisters is the best, because you can see their friendship blossom and how close they are throughout the entire book. Although their dad goes off to fight in the war, there are no battle scenes. Readers will fall in love with the March family.
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2011

Great Book

I really loved this story. Little women was a perfect combination of romance and adventure. This charming classic will still entice audiences today, despite its outdated storyline.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiggy12345 November 21, 2014

Little women

I think little women is a very boring book about goody-2-shoes who do nothing. I suggest no one to read it so you save your self from boredom.
Teen, 13 years old Written byindia June 30, 2014

how do i know

well people i not used to this but i havent read this book and i would like if someone give me more details on this book because i need to know if its a great book to do a book report on thank yoo
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 6, 2012

little women

Families can talk about the emphasis on "housewifely" duties for women. How are opportunities and expectations different/similar for women today? Would kids have liked living during the 1860s and '70s? Why or why not? The type of clothes and objects the girls desire are different than today, but can kids see similarities in their own lives? What lessons about consumerism do the girls learn? The writing style is more didactic than most literature written for children today. The author also breaks in with first-person comments. What do readers think of this style? How does it compare to contemporary novels?
Teen, 14 years old Written bynovember27 January 12, 2012

Amazing can't live without reading it

The best book up there with anne of green gables. I read the first book when i was 8 and than read good wives. I didn't think about these books for ages and than I found little men and Jo's boys and read them. Each book has a bit of comedy, romance and one tragic bit which makes me cry.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGreenMaple January 1, 2012

Great for tweens

A real view at life, and although not everything is peachy, you can still achieve your dreams and be optimistic. Some very sad parts, but very easy to relate to for many young girls.
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011

Amazing Book

I love the book! It really gives the moral of family and friends and how important they are.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarah_soda March 6, 2010

A novel recomended for all girls 12+

I really enjoyed this book. It had very rich text and had an enthralling plot. The life style of the era was extremely enthralling; and I recomend it to all readers who can understand the style of writing Louisa May Alcott has provided us with. Younge children may be confused at reading it, one friend of mine tried reading it at a younge age making her confused, now she refuses to try and read it now that she is a better reader. My mother enjoyed this book too, so both younge and old will enjoy.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySomebodysMe August 4, 2009

A must-read!

I first read this book when I was eight and LOVED IT!!! In my opinion, this is a must-read for anyone. It is the ULTIMATE chick read. (read: It's kinda a boy-meets-girl story, but it's written so well, you darn just don't notice!"
Teen, 14 years old Written byUSHNA JAVED July 30, 2015

LITTLE GIRL

I THINK IT'S AMAZING FOR UP TO 11 AGE STUDENTS BECAUSE LOUSIA WRITE AMAZING NOVEL SERIES AND I GOT MANY LESSON FROM THIS AND I RECOMMENDED TIHIS TO ALL UP TO 11 AND 11 AGE CHILDREN S