All parent member reviews for Looking for Alaska

Educator and Parent Written byMcCat June 14, 2014

Not for young teens...

This goes beyond, drinking, smoking, and sex. Many of the books middle schoolers read have those topics and the theme outweighs the vices. This however, gives some pretty graphic details of oral sex and I don't feel like the under 16 crowd needs this in a book.
Educator and Parent Written byKristalkaye February 25, 2014

All the hype, no come through

The book was hyped so much. It was a disappointing read from beginning to end. Lacked original imagination. (something that has been done 100 times before and better) Didn't create, nor stick to the mere story line or the "plot". I feel as though the book had a whole lot of nice words and sayings but not worth the read at all. The outcome of Alaska was utterly stupid and just when the book seemed to be picking up interest. Hopefully fault in our stars is a much better read..
Adult Written byrealistic March 2, 2013

Best book! educational!

Best book, My daughter recommended this to me, (she was 15 at the time). we share our passion for for this book together! this book teaches/inspires /helps you to live with a question mark, and not worry!
Adult Written byJohn.green19 July 15, 2012

Fantastic for mature audiences

This book is FANTASTIC If you are open minded to mature content and can see metaphorical resonance there within.
Educator and Parent of a 6, 10, 12, and 12 year old Written byComplementing Critic April 26, 2012

Beautiful book.

John Green is a wonderful writer and this book is quite well written. My 12 year olds read it, and it is a great book for mature tweens and teens.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written byKotaro May 23, 2010

It was pretty good, but I don't think any young children should be reading it. Emphasis on YOUNG. I mean, I was a pretty messed up child, and I wouldn't have been bothered by it, or learned anything new, even if I had read it at the age of seven. But I was still pretty screwed up, so don't take my word on it.
Adult Written bygggggg123 April 20, 2009

Interesting and entertaining, despite how deep it can be.

I thought this was a beautifully written book. It is about Miles, a sixteen year old who goes in search of something new and different to help bring him out of himself, a thing which he dubs, "The Great Perhaps." The whole story is centered around his stay at the new boarding school he attends, the friends he meets, the new experiences he has, and the things he learns about life and tragedy and happiness and dealing wit sorrow. I know it may sound too deep or sentimental or corny, but really, it's not. I read it just for fun, because I liked the picture on the cover, and I found it interesting and hard to put down. It tells all this sentimental stuff in a very non-sentimental, engaging, low key, and funny way.
Adult Written byLizBriz April 9, 2008

A Modern Day Separate Peace

Our whole family listened to this book together and it was rivoting. There are certainly tough issues and frank discussion about sex, the frequent use of alcohol and tobacco by some of the students, but all presented realistically and from a teens perspective. Very enlightening for any age. We loved how it was written, that there was mystery, humor, sadness, all in one book! Great read.
Adult Written byLemonMrang April 9, 2008

NO WONDER IT WON A PRIZE

LOOKING FOR ALASKA is an awesome awesome book! It stirs up the reader's emotions. It made me get misty-eyed. You become completely drawn into the life of Miles, the narrator, as he tries to find his "Great Perhaps" by enrolling in a boarding school. His roommate introduces Miles (ironically nicknamed "Pudge") to his friends, including Alaska, and a whole lot of crazy stuff ensues. They all smoke a lot and get drunk a lot. But I found myself laughing a lot! The language can be pretty rough at times, but it wasn't horrid. Green (the author) really knows how to throw in surprises. And he portrays the characters' emotions really well. LOOKING FOR ALASKA is a great book that I would recommend for readers 12 and up.
Adult Written byamandamarie44 April 9, 2008

Great Read

I found this book when doing a research project for one of my education classes, and am now actually presenting it to the class. I could not put this book down! While many of the issues in the story are touchy subjects, in reality many teens are dealing with them, if not experiencing them, everyday. However, the manner in which these issues are presented do not take away from the main focus of the book, which is beautifully written. I would not be sure about using this book as a unit as a teacher, but would most definately recommend it to a reluctant reader, or a student dealing with some of the book related issues.