All parent member reviews for Looking for Alaska

Adult Written byFreet December 21, 2010

Yet another excellent novel by John Green. I have finished all his books and have yet to regret picking one up.
Adult Written byBook_advocate September 15, 2010

The perfect book for mature minds

I read this book as it was banned from our school and after reading it and heavily avaluating it I fought to put it back onto the selves of MCHS. I loved this book with every inch of my soul and I would recremend it at the top of anyones list.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byMissK September 3, 2010

An honest connection for teens

This is one of those books that has all the makings to interest kids/students...the very things that we might deem inappropriate...but through the questionable content, teens will be able to connect to the characters. We'd all like to think our teens are sheltered and above the peer pressure situations, but those of us who live in the real world know that, by the time they graduate high school, most kids will have been exposed to alcohol, drugs, and even sex. Even those kids who aren't taking part. This book provides honest connections in how to cope, as well providing an outlet for some of the darker thoughts that teens are often too nervous to share. Overall, I recommend it to my upperclassmen on a regular basis.
Adult Written byrunchie July 5, 2010

a great story for teenagers!

I ABSOLUTELY loved the book!!!! It was sooooo good! Great job John Green!!!!
Adult Written by♡gīłłīåñrøšę♡ August 5, 2015

terrifyingly real characters

*SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW* I'm 18, I first read this when I was 15. My sister is 14 and just read it. This book is beautifully written with very realistic characters. Pudge, the main character, idolizes Alaska but it's made very clear in the book that she and the other characters are far from perfect. It discusses real issues, it has very realistic characters, and it has very important messages. There's a lot of smoking and drinking in the book but no other drugs (some other review mentioned weed, it's mentioned maybe twice and to my recollection never used by the main characters) but these aren't in a negative influence way. At the start of the book, Pudge has never smoked, but he feels pressured into it and becomes addicted anyways, and Alaska literally says "I smoke to die" - it shows that it's bad for you, it doesn't glamorize it. Same with the alcohol to an extent. Although for most of the book it's just teens getting drunk to have fun, the book also focuses on the poor decision making that happens when your drunk, and (HEY MAJOR SPOILER HERE) a main character dies driving drunk. It shows that there are consequences to these things. Also, it's not like your kids don't already know about cigarettes and alcohol. Don't try to shelter them, they're exposed to it during high school regardless of whether or not they read this book, and this book might help them make better decisions about drinking. (If you REALLY think your kids can go through high school without knowing about underage drinking, you're an idiot, and your kids probably already drink.) As for the sex scene, yeah, it's there. But again, it's realistic (sorry parents, it is) and it serves and important purpose for characterization. One really important thing to know though is (SPOILER) this book deals with suicide. If that could be triggering to your kid, possibly direct them away from this book. Also, it can be a lil fake deep at times. But we all need a lil fake deep.
Adult Written bybethhoule June 9, 2015

Okay

I first heard about this book from my friend, who talked about it A LOT. She said it was super good and that I should read it. Eventually I did, and I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. There isn't really a message, besides the fact that you should never drink and drive. I would not recommend this book for kids under the age of 13. There is a ton of sex, alcohol, and I don't think it gives college/boarding school a great message. Don't give this book to you kids for their birthday or some other special occasion.
Adult Written bybookwormfirst May 29, 2015

amazing

John Green has amazing ideas which he has cleverly intertwined in this book , and there is no refuting that he is brilliant, but I would have loved it much more if there wasn't so many explicit scenes in vivid detail, that I skipped. So basically, I read half the book, but whatever I read was BRILLIANT!
Adult Written byrealistic March 2, 2013

Best book! educational!

Best book, My daughter recommended this to me, (she was 15 at the time). we share our passion for for this book together! this book teaches/inspires /helps you to live with a question mark, and not worry!
Adult Written byJohn.green19 July 15, 2012

Fantastic for mature audiences

This book is FANTASTIC If you are open minded to mature content and can see metaphorical resonance there within.
Educator and Parent of a 6, 10, 12, and 12 year old Written byComplementing Critic April 26, 2012

Beautiful book.

John Green is a wonderful writer and this book is quite well written. My 12 year olds read it, and it is a great book for mature tweens and teens.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written byKotaro May 23, 2010

It was pretty good, but I don't think any young children should be reading it. Emphasis on YOUNG. I mean, I was a pretty messed up child, and I wouldn't have been bothered by it, or learned anything new, even if I had read it at the age of seven. But I was still pretty screwed up, so don't take my word on it.
Adult Written bygggggg123 April 20, 2009

Interesting and entertaining, despite how deep it can be.

I thought this was a beautifully written book. It is about Miles, a sixteen year old who goes in search of something new and different to help bring him out of himself, a thing which he dubs, "The Great Perhaps." The whole story is centered around his stay at the new boarding school he attends, the friends he meets, the new experiences he has, and the things he learns about life and tragedy and happiness and dealing wit sorrow. I know it may sound too deep or sentimental or corny, but really, it's not. I read it just for fun, because I liked the picture on the cover, and I found it interesting and hard to put down. It tells all this sentimental stuff in a very non-sentimental, engaging, low key, and funny way.
Adult Written byLemonMrang April 9, 2008

NO WONDER IT WON A PRIZE

LOOKING FOR ALASKA is an awesome awesome book! It stirs up the reader's emotions. It made me get misty-eyed. You become completely drawn into the life of Miles, the narrator, as he tries to find his "Great Perhaps" by enrolling in a boarding school. His roommate introduces Miles (ironically nicknamed "Pudge") to his friends, including Alaska, and a whole lot of crazy stuff ensues. They all smoke a lot and get drunk a lot. But I found myself laughing a lot! The language can be pretty rough at times, but it wasn't horrid. Green (the author) really knows how to throw in surprises. And he portrays the characters' emotions really well. LOOKING FOR ALASKA is a great book that I would recommend for readers 12 and up.
Adult Written byamandamarie44 April 9, 2008

Great Read

I found this book when doing a research project for one of my education classes, and am now actually presenting it to the class. I could not put this book down! While many of the issues in the story are touchy subjects, in reality many teens are dealing with them, if not experiencing them, everyday. However, the manner in which these issues are presented do not take away from the main focus of the book, which is beautifully written. I would not be sure about using this book as a unit as a teacher, but would most definately recommend it to a reluctant reader, or a student dealing with some of the book related issues.