All parent member reviews for Looking for Alaska

Adult Written byBook_advocate September 15, 2010

The perfect book for mature minds

I read this book as it was banned from our school and after reading it and heavily avaluating it I fought to put it back onto the selves of MCHS. I loved this book with every inch of my soul and I would recremend it at the top of anyones list.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byMissK September 3, 2010

An honest connection for teens

This is one of those books that has all the makings to interest kids/students...the very things that we might deem inappropriate...but through the questionable content, teens will be able to connect to the characters. We'd all like to think our teens are sheltered and above the peer pressure situations, but those of us who live in the real world know that, by the time they graduate high school, most kids will have been exposed to alcohol, drugs, and even sex. Even those kids who aren't taking part. This book provides honest connections in how to cope, as well providing an outlet for some of the darker thoughts that teens are often too nervous to share. Overall, I recommend it to my upperclassmen on a regular basis.
Adult Written byrunchie July 5, 2010

a great story for teenagers!

I ABSOLUTELY loved the book!!!! It was sooooo good! Great job John Green!!!!
Adult Written bybethhoule June 9, 2015

Okay

I first heard about this book from my friend, who talked about it A LOT. She said it was super good and that I should read it. Eventually I did, and I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. There isn't really a message, besides the fact that you should never drink and drive. I would not recommend this book for kids under the age of 13. There is a ton of sex, alcohol, and I don't think it gives college/boarding school a great message. Don't give this book to you kids for their birthday or some other special occasion.
Adult Written byrealistic March 2, 2013

Best book! educational!

Best book, My daughter recommended this to me, (she was 15 at the time). we share our passion for for this book together! this book teaches/inspires /helps you to live with a question mark, and not worry!
Adult Written byJohn.green19 July 15, 2012

Fantastic for mature audiences

This book is FANTASTIC If you are open minded to mature content and can see metaphorical resonance there within.
Educator and Parent of a 6, 10, 12, and 12 year old Written byComplementing Critic April 26, 2012

Beautiful book.

John Green is a wonderful writer and this book is quite well written. My 12 year olds read it, and it is a great book for mature tweens and teens.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written byKotaro May 23, 2010

It was pretty good, but I don't think any young children should be reading it. Emphasis on YOUNG. I mean, I was a pretty messed up child, and I wouldn't have been bothered by it, or learned anything new, even if I had read it at the age of seven. But I was still pretty screwed up, so don't take my word on it.
Adult Written bygggggg123 April 20, 2009

Interesting and entertaining, despite how deep it can be.

I thought this was a beautifully written book. It is about Miles, a sixteen year old who goes in search of something new and different to help bring him out of himself, a thing which he dubs, "The Great Perhaps." The whole story is centered around his stay at the new boarding school he attends, the friends he meets, the new experiences he has, and the things he learns about life and tragedy and happiness and dealing wit sorrow. I know it may sound too deep or sentimental or corny, but really, it's not. I read it just for fun, because I liked the picture on the cover, and I found it interesting and hard to put down. It tells all this sentimental stuff in a very non-sentimental, engaging, low key, and funny way.
Adult Written byLemonMrang April 9, 2008

NO WONDER IT WON A PRIZE

LOOKING FOR ALASKA is an awesome awesome book! It stirs up the reader's emotions. It made me get misty-eyed. You become completely drawn into the life of Miles, the narrator, as he tries to find his "Great Perhaps" by enrolling in a boarding school. His roommate introduces Miles (ironically nicknamed "Pudge") to his friends, including Alaska, and a whole lot of crazy stuff ensues. They all smoke a lot and get drunk a lot. But I found myself laughing a lot! The language can be pretty rough at times, but it wasn't horrid. Green (the author) really knows how to throw in surprises. And he portrays the characters' emotions really well. LOOKING FOR ALASKA is a great book that I would recommend for readers 12 and up.
Adult Written byamandamarie44 April 9, 2008

Great Read

I found this book when doing a research project for one of my education classes, and am now actually presenting it to the class. I could not put this book down! While many of the issues in the story are touchy subjects, in reality many teens are dealing with them, if not experiencing them, everyday. However, the manner in which these issues are presented do not take away from the main focus of the book, which is beautifully written. I would not be sure about using this book as a unit as a teacher, but would most definately recommend it to a reluctant reader, or a student dealing with some of the book related issues.