All member reviews for Looking for Alaska

Teen, 15 years old Written byArtichokes-United May 29, 2011

Read it!

There's alot of controversy surrounding this book, and I can certainly understand why. Sex, drugs, and a couple of f-bombs can be found within the pages of this book, but I'm glad they're there. What people often fail to understand is that these things are a part of life, and teens are often faced with them quite frequently. I'm not saying that all us teens lead a secret drug and sex filled life (although you'd be suprised), they're things that we do have to deal with. Looking for Alaska is by far one of the best books I've read, and I know many adults will agree with me on that. The great story that Green lays out is not one of sex, smoking, or drinking. It's one of life, death, and finding yourself, but without those things it would be only a mere shadow of the truth. Before you realize this you can never truely enjoy and comprehend this wonderful work of literature.
Teen, 13 years old Written byuglyfudge January 26, 2011

Beautiful and Moving

John Green's debut novel may have been the most amazing piece of literature I have ever had the opportunity to read. It does include one part that parents should be aware of (but it is literally about a paragraph long) and they may want to
Adult Written byJess02 April 20, 2010

Sure the book has sex,drugs,and language. But it goes through a teens life. What do you think most teens are doing today? Plus, just because the book has some explict content,doesn't mean its a terrible book. I have read this book, and so has my mom and we both enjoyed it! The book gives a postive messgae at the end. Besides most kids who are 13+ already know everything that's in that book. It's not like they've never heard those words before in school or else where.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGibygi April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bydreamer98 November 27, 2012

Simply Perfection. John Green you have been amazing.

Oh my gosh. This book was absolutely AMAZING. It targeted a lot of issues that affect teens such as drugs, sex, self-uncertainty, popularity, and a lot of another concepts that many teens deal with on a everyday basis. Miles, The Colonel, Takumi, and most importantly Alaska were an amazing group of teens that DID admittedly behaved badly but were so REAL and looked at life as though it were something you just had to take my the hair and tug it in whatever way the you decided. Alaska shouts to The Colonel "DO NOT OBJECTIFY WOMEN'S BODIES" and I felt myself going "YOU GO ALASKA! SHOUT WHAT'S RIGHT GIRL!" through half of the book. After the tragedy I literally bawled my eyes out; That's how much i totally fell in a deep love for all of the characters. But there was many references of innappropiate behavior but the books was just perfection. READ IT! I will forever look at white daises and think of you Alaska.
Teen, 13 years old Written byandasif June 17, 2012

Even better than the Hunger Games

It is the best book i have ever read. It is even better than The Hunger Games. It is much sadder when a chacter you like dies in the middle of the book than at the end. It is very moving. Alaska is a troubler maker and turns Pudge into one too but is actually a good person. I cried when i read this book and no other book has ever made me cry. It has alot of middle school stuff in the begining. This book makes you think that you need to do alot of stuff when your young so you get to excepenise them.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykara b. June 15, 2012

To read or not to read?

I really like this book. I read it and I'm 14 and I'm a freshman in high school. It's kind of blunt when it comes to smoking and drinking and sex. But it isn't anything I haven't heard at school or in health class. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone under the age of twelve. It's one of my favorites books and it's one that I can actually re-read. I also like the fact that Pudge and the Colonel both memorize some really cool things and I love how many books Alaska has. I also really like how Alaska got her name.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWyndom Dare October 17, 2011

Alaska

Out of this entire book I loved Alaska's quote "How do I escape this labyrinth of pain straight and fast" which is actuall a haiku
Parent of a 19 year old Written bydarkfang911 March 16, 2011

Love love love this book

I personally loved this book when it came out. It is extremely interesting and provocative entertaining!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykcorreiakfc March 4, 2011

Perfect for kids going into there teens

Teen, 16 years old Written byRainy Day November 8, 2010

A Subtle, Moving Mystery

"Looking for Alaska" is a book that changed my life. It deals with themes like loneliness, heartache, and teen love with such raw emotion that the words become transcendendent, elegaic and mournful in strange, mysterious ways. The character of Alaska Young herself is one of the most interesting, self-destructive heroines in young-adult literature. As a young writer, John Green's first novel inspires me each day to write "deeper," and to pierce new ground in terms of creating meaningful stories. And I can’t think of another novel that ended so beautifully.
Adult Written byamicia September 28, 2009

this book is really good. i am 13 and i read this book when i was 12. i dont see why people think it is so inappropriate. in the book it deels with many issues that teens face daily and while they are "dark" and "inappropriate" the book teaches very good lessons and is very realtable.
Teen, 16 years old Written byClobrim January 19, 2014

It's for older teens.

It's aimed at people who are the age of the characters or around that age, who could probably actually relate to them.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytdizzle12345678 December 8, 2013

Amazing for mature ones

This novel features many "older" material but the over message of it is pretty good. It is told in the perspective of a teenager and it is meant for a mature audience, a very good read in my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKatReads December 7, 2013

I would change a few things.

Honestly, it was a good enough book. I think that the unnecessary sex scene is the only thing i would change. There were times when it was almost too much with the drugs, sex, and language...but besides that it was a well written book.
Kid, 10 years old December 5, 2013

Great Book!!! Definitely Recommended!

While there is a teensy bit of not THAT graphic sex but quite a few instances of language just as it says. This is an awesome book and I would definitely recommend this book but do be wary about the language.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymaddie123dftba June 28, 2013

Must read you will cry of happiness and sadness and just for the fact you dont want it to end

I read this book and fell in love with the story and the author. It does have sex related parts and cussing but a 13 yr old can handle it. But don't limit this book to your child because of this. It moved me so much. I fell in love with the characters and it was if we were friends and I could relate to them and I cried tears of joy and sadness. You just have to read this book it is my favorite and it was one of my first books I read bc before this I hated reading but now im up to a book a week. Please read 14+ and even adults to. it also has the best lesson and you learn a lot. The last 10 pages are the best. I have a signed copy and my favorite quotes on my wall. oh yes and super funny you will laugh a lot too.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylovelife15 May 24, 2013

Not What I Thought

I'm 15, and honestly, the language and sexual content is too much for me. The sexual content is highly descriptive, which I found disturbing at parts. There's at least one f-bomb on every page or 2, and many other words. It's a captivating book, but it would be a lot better without all of the sex, language, and smoking/drinking that takes place.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoveleater November 6, 2010

Beautiful...

Everything from the cover to the narration to the plot to the last sentence is beautiful. I cried, I laughed, and most of all, I found a friend, who I could love, trust, and find comfort. The one thing that makes this novel perfect is the narration. Miles' voice is so boyish, so funny, and so real! Miles was like me (except the smoking and memorizing last words) and like any other boy who has ever felt lonely, misunderstood, or just want to read a book that will change their life, every boy older than fourteen. The only scene(s) that made me uncomfortable is the oral sex scene, and the many kisses! Some characters smoke a lot, and other smoke drugs in a little hut where students only know about. Most everybody had drank beer under- aged in this novel, and drunk driving has to do with the big plot. This novel will make you cry for miles (pun not intentional) on end. This novel helps teenager find out that they aren't the only ones out there who have felt pain, or depression. I feel that this novel really should really bring up some interesting discussions. Many cuss words are used often, some times shot at adults. A prank almost gets a character dead. Read and cry and enjoy!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAmbrosette December 27, 2009

TEENS HAVE BRAINS

What I love about this book is the fact that it shows reality -sex, underage drinking - and also is deeply mentally challenging with the whole labyrinth, and Great Perhaps and the meaning of life... And this is why I read it. John Green tells the story beautifully and it really made me think. And as for concerned parents, if your kid reads in today's society, she/he is smart enough to differ from morally right and morally wrong. That being said, enjoy the reading. Yes, it goes to you.