All member reviews for Looking for Alaska

Award-winning novel of life and death, for older teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJade the unicorn March 31, 2016

Okay, heres the thing.

I love John Green, he is a very good author and I have read all of his books. This book was amazing. But, when reviewing a book, I ask myself, would I want my daughter/son reading this? No. Mature content. Suicide, other stuff that no kid under 13 should read unless their parent or guardian is okay with it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnonymousPlease March 14, 2016

Unban this book!

This book has been banned in school councils in Tennessee and in some parts of New Jersey. I'm a student in Japan researching about this book. I think that this book should be unbanned because of it's messages and it's values. This book teaches valuable life lessons. And this affected me in a good way and I'm pretty immature.
Teen, 17 years old Written by123456a February 17, 2016

Favorite book ever and really interesting.

Teen, 17 years old Written bybooklover1234 December 13, 2015

Great Book! Must Read!

This is an amazing book. Even though there is a lot swearing, it kind of makes you aware that you shouldn't do drugs and it talks about relationships and friendships between the characters. I wouldn't recommend it too small kids since it is a little inappropriate for them but I would recommend this book to mature tweens 12 and over.
Adult Written by_bianca_ December 9, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byisabella02 October 27, 2015

disappointed

Having read all of John Green's young adult books at this point, I'm sad to say this is not one I enjoyed. Though it had potential for a good story, it sadly was riddled with sexual themes and bad language. It puts off a strong message for sure, but just didn't come together for me. I would recommend that a parent preread this before allowing their younger child to read this book.
Kid, 11 years old October 1, 2015

Mature

There are scenes that are controversial for children under 14. Including drinking, sex, and smoking. Although the characters smoke, drink, etc, they are still great role models because they're smart and understand each other. The sex scene is graphic, but it just uses the real words and no slang.
Teen, 13 years old Written byalexski6 September 17, 2015

It's Great!

I read this when I was 12 and it was great. It is my second favourite book of all time (so far).
Teen, 16 years old Written byunikoala August 23, 2015
I read this when I was 14, It was a little to sexual for my comfort zone but it's a good story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThePro27 August 18, 2015

My Favorite John Green book (so far)

l loved this book, and I think if adults read it, it can tell them what it's like to be in that stage of life.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybballfreak567 August 17, 2015

great look at things are like as a teen

I think this is a book every mature 13 year old and 14 year old should read
Teen, 14 years old Written byBobollyBee August 9, 2015
Adult Written by♡gīłłīåñrøšę♡ August 5, 2015

terrifyingly real characters

*SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW* I'm 18, I first read this when I was 15. My sister is 14 and just read it. This book is beautifully written with very realistic characters. Pudge, the main character, idolizes Alaska but it's made very clear in the book that she and the other characters are far from perfect. It discusses real issues, it has very realistic characters, and it has very important messages. There's a lot of smoking and drinking in the book but no other drugs (some other review mentioned weed, it's mentioned maybe twice and to my recollection never used by the main characters) but these aren't in a negative influence way. At the start of the book, Pudge has never smoked, but he feels pressured into it and becomes addicted anyways, and Alaska literally says "I smoke to die" - it shows that it's bad for you, it doesn't glamorize it. Same with the alcohol to an extent. Although for most of the book it's just teens getting drunk to have fun, the book also focuses on the poor decision making that happens when your drunk, and (HEY MAJOR SPOILER HERE) a main character dies driving drunk. It shows that there are consequences to these things. Also, it's not like your kids don't already know about cigarettes and alcohol. Don't try to shelter them, they're exposed to it during high school regardless of whether or not they read this book, and this book might help them make better decisions about drinking. (If you REALLY think your kids can go through high school without knowing about underage drinking, you're an idiot, and your kids probably already drink.) As for the sex scene, yeah, it's there. But again, it's realistic (sorry parents, it is) and it serves and important purpose for characterization. One really important thing to know though is (SPOILER) this book deals with suicide. If that could be triggering to your kid, possibly direct them away from this book. Also, it can be a lil fake deep at times. But we all need a lil fake deep.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjessedimeglio July 29, 2015

Best I have ever read

The aspect that sets this story apart from all others is the honest and endearing voice of Miles 'Pudge' Halter. It is rare to find a story that simply tells it how it is rather than monitoring the emotions that we as humans are entitled to feel. Green writes with the feelings of love paired with anger, disappointment, confusion, loss. With his words he does not hide the truth of these feelings and the truth is that with these feelings we often find ourselves making rash decisions, speaking with a foul mouth. If you are afraid of honest living and afraid of the "real world" then I apologetically do not recommend this story for you. That is sad however because this story is one that we would all be lucky to read. Full of characters we would be lucky to meet. Looking for Alaska is an amazing book to all literary aspects as well as emotional aspects. It has become a huge part of me and I highly recommend it for anyone who is brave enough to read a genuinely honest story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGmadigan July 18, 2015

It's a really great book, that you never know what's gonna happen

This book was great, I read it at the age of 12 but there are some explicit scenes, but I mean I read The Great Gatsby at the age of 11, but whatever this book alway manages to keep you on the edge of your seat, and always surprises you, highly recommended
Teen, 14 years old Written bygreenloversara July 17, 2015

Amazing book with a great story.

John Green continues to amaze me. This book Looking For Alaska is for mature teenagers and John Greens book that contains the heaviest material. The book had some graphic scenes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTorrey123 June 25, 2015

utterly amazing. pure awesome.

I read this book first when I was 11. some sex, some underage drinking and smoking (sort of glorified it too) but it has an amazing plot line and is just a great story. I have read it 5 times now and it is probably my favorite book. Good role models and just a great story.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySubham Modi June 15, 2015
Parent Written bybethhoule June 9, 2015

Okay

I first heard about this book from my friend, who talked about it A LOT. She said it was super good and that I should read it. Eventually I did, and I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. There isn't really a message, besides the fact that you should never drink and drive. I would not recommend this book for kids under the age of 13. There is a ton of sex, alcohol, and I don't think it gives college/boarding school a great message. Don't give this book to you kids for their birthday or some other special occasion.
Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2015

I loved Looking For Alaska!!

Swears appear multiple times on the pages. Blow jobs are brought up and the main character receives one. Alcohol is drunk and cigarettes are smoked. Suicide is brought up. I read it at twelve. I understood every bit of it. Looking For Alaska is definitely not the most appropriate book ever written, but it's definitely one of the best books ever written.