All member reviews for Love That Dog

Terrific for reluctant readers, discussion groups.

Adult Written byleahanddusty12 May 11, 2009

A must-read-book for everyone 1-100!!!

this book is personly my favorite of all!!! It's great for all ages and it only takes about an hour to read. you know it's a good book when it makes you cry, laugh, smile, or you read it a lot faster than you usually do with most books. I did all of these.
Teen, 14 years old Written byholesiscool April 9, 2008

good book

if you like poetry than you will like this book, Love That Dog. I haven't finished this book yet but i think its great!
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

Love This Book

We don't know if Jack is a reluctant reader, but he's certainly a reluctant poetry-writer. As he tells his teacher Miss Stretchberry, "Boys don't write poetry. Girls do." When she persuades him to give the art a shot, he comes back with, "Can't do it. Brain's empty." Eventually though, Jack learns to appreciate poetry, and readers do so along with him. Jack explores similes, metaphors, rhythm, and other poetic conventions. They help him deal with the death of his beloved dog Sky, and transition into a new life phase. No cautions at all except the death of the dog, which might upset readers younger than the target audience. Teachers will find tons of poetry prompt fodder inside.
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2011

I love it!

I love this you have to think in this book what the potery means!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySCLove222 December 7, 2010

Loving and Touching Story

I love this book and thought it was very touching and amazing.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 28, 2010

A Gem

I have to be honest - the first time I read this book, I didn't like it. I had to read it two or three times before I really understood it's magic. Jack is very easy to relate to. The story of him and his dog Sky is a touching one. I like watching Jack's development as a poet. This is a good book for kids who may be reluctant to read and write.
Teen, 15 years old Written byclass of 2012 May 29, 2010

omg i cried when i read it. beautiful book.
Parent of a 8, 13, and 16 year old Written bydebk190 February 6, 2010

All ages love it

This book sparked an interest in all forms of poetry in our house. I read it to my 8 year old and then reread it to my 13 year old son. We can't wait to read Hate that Cat coming soon.
Kid, 10 years old September 25, 2009

touching, warming, and sad book

this is possibly the best book ever but i also cried like a baby when i read it. its simple reading but toddlers may be very upset and not understand why the dog died. they might be very concerned after that
Kid, 8 years old May 25, 2009

Touching book.

This book is such a touching book. It's sad at some parts, but I recommend it to anyone. It is such a good book! Any book by Sharon Creech is amazing and great!
Teen, 15 years old Written bylala8796 April 9, 2008

a must read book for people of all ages

i loved this book. it's short and gets right to the point and is a great book for kids of all ages a must read for everyone

It was a very, very good book!!