All member reviews for Lush

Heartfelt look at drinking's impact on families.

Teen, 16 years old Written bydestthebest123 December 12, 2010

awsome book

hey,im 11(turning 12). im in 6th. the book it totally fine 4 at least 10+. im sure by now, they should no all these stuff.THE BEST BOOK EVA!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrightRose8 August 8, 2011

It was insightful

This book does have some sexual content when the daughter goes to parties and stuff but it's very insightful on how life is with a drunk as a father. And the ending has an uplifting tone... I think it was a good read.. I read it when I was 12 and I took it fairly well.. I think you just need to know your kid before you let them read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymelissa8298 March 27, 2011

great messages, good for 13 and up

i thought it was great and it taught about acholism
Educator and Parent of a 6, 10, 12, and 12 year old Written byComplementing Critic April 8, 2012

Good read.

Something teens and mature tweens should read.
Kid, 11 years old November 1, 2011

?

Its nice... You should try a similar book by the same author. Its is called Perfect!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina September 14, 2010

"There's the thing with kissing, why lips? Why not noses or eyebrows? -Sam

One of the best books I've ever read! Its hearfelt and realistic, especially today. Sam is a funny character, who cares about her family and friends, and knows her limits. She's witty and funny, and a little unconfortable with her new 'development' Her friends are a loyal clique of girls, one is sensitve, one is discusted easily, and Angie, the sort of leader, is the wild girl (but not in a badway) she does meantion sex a few times, but mostly to gross out the discusted girl, like meantioning white stuff coming out. Her dad Patrick is a drinker, but he cares about his family, (I'm trying not to spoil) he just refuses to except he has a problem, and Sam's pretty stubborn with him when he pretends nothings going on (she also doesn't blurt out about her fathers drinking) she ends up meeting a teenage boy (they get a relationship rather quickly) and at a party she got drunk and he tried getting her to have sex, until she got nervious and blurted her age, which caused him to bug out and leave. Later she's molested by a few boys (she can only remember minor things) Anyway, she also gets in a car with an almost complete stranger, but nothing bad happens. This book is highly recomended, its pretty good and she is respectful. But if I spoiled some stuff, sorry! Read it anyways! Oh, for violence: the molesting thing, and the dad hit Luke with a bottle (made me cry!) Language: "Jesus Christ" "Who*e" "sl*t" "hell" "Oh my God"

Teen, 15 years old Written byMrs.NickJonas11 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byhellomynameisjello May 30, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byDirectioner101 February 18, 2014

LEARNING

Take Caution Parents!

This is a great book, but it includes some things that you may need to talk to your kids about before letting them read. It is a book about a young girl and her brother, and her mother, and her alcoholic father. The dad often walks in at 2 in the morning and wakes up the family when he yells and screams when he comes home drunk. Towards the end of the book, he hits his young 3-4 year old son, resulting in the boy having a serious injury in his head. This girl talks to a stranger and tells him/her about her life and agrees to meet and get in a car with him to visit her father in rehab, and meets a man who gives her the letter X, possibly standing for X-rated, which is mentioned in the book, implying he's a pedophile. The main character, the girl, also meets a boy she's been warned about and makes out with him often, and doesn't tell her mother or anyone else about him. She lies to her friends and ditches them to go to a party with him, where she gets drunk and finds herself naked with him as he attempts to have sex with her until she reveals she's only 13, and he's 16. He leaves at this point, leaving her alone. Then three boys come in and attempt to molest her, when they are also 13. The mom doesn't seem to care much about what her daughter does, just giving her medicine and not punishing or saying anything about the situation. Boys rate girls on best butts, boobs, sex, etc. High school and middle school boys alike stare at the main characters breasts and make sexual comments on it to her, and she doesn't mind. Teens smoke, have sex, party hard, and drink. Dammit, GodDammit, hell, and crap are used often. I think if you have a mature child, say yes if they can understand what goes on. If not, then it's not a good book for a kid.
Kid, 11 years old September 29, 2012

A 6th graders outlook on Lush

I think that "Lush" is a GREAT book , it's very inspiring and tells about a girl who has to deal with and acholic father , she's very strong and makes it through everything. Every kid should read lush.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymjacobs22 September 29, 2012

Amazing.

Natasha Friend is my favorite writer. All of her books are truly amazing. I enjoyed Lush very mush, and loved the story line. I highly reccomend Lush, and Friend's other books as well.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKelby80 November 21, 2011

Lush; Natasha Friend

Lush was a very good book, it did have some inapropiate parts in it, it is definitly for ages 12 and up, but otherwise it is one of the best books I have read!
Teen, 14 years old Written bytrustybook November 14, 2011

Lush

You should have the sex talk with your kid before trust me i know because i read it
Teen, 13 years old Written byMeliBatista29 August 30, 2011

An ---> AMAZING <--- Book !

i read this book when i was 11 (7th grade) , its an amazing book . it was in my school library , my reading teacher's and language arts teacher's book shelf .
Teen, 15 years old Written byshaunte' mariah July 11, 2011

.....

Parent Written byCommonSenseParent December 13, 2010

Perfect read for age 11 (6th grade) and up

Lush is a touching novel about a teenage girl who struggles with an alcoholic father. There is nothing sinful or explicit in this novel, and if you are at least eleven and in middle school, this is age appropiate.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBRIZII December 11, 2010

Hey im 13 im in 8th grade I <3 this book (=
Teen, 14 years old Written bygreeneygirl27 December 4, 2010

great for tweens!

Hi, I am 12 years old, and in 7th grade. I read the book Lush, and it was in fact, in my language art's teacher's library, so i think it was appropriate, and i absolutely loved it. I can't wait to get my hands on Bounce!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfatima07 November 17, 2010

i think this book can relate t a lot of teenagers in this century.