All member reviews for Maniac Magee

Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2009

Grade 5 and up

I like this book. In 5th grade you read it (your teachers have to make the decision whether to let you know about african american discrimination for when you read this book in class). It is very sad at one point, i knew a few people who almost cried at that part.
Kid, 12 years old June 11, 2011

Awesome book **SPOILER**

An amazing book. Maniac is a kid living in a racist time and is the only one who doesn't understand. He regularly visits and for a good section of the book, lives in the "black" part of town. There is underage drinking, reckless behavior, racial slurs from both African Americans and Caucasians. Although the book is heartwarming, the book can be very sad, when Grayson dies, Maniac becomes depressed and eventually tries to starve himself. References to poop, roaches and other gross out stuff is abound, especially with the McNabs.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCampster888 April 9, 2008

Great way of telling a story

I liked how he mentioned that Maniac did not like the dislike between blacks and whites.
Kid, 11 years old November 6, 2014

Unexpected, emotional, wonderful!!!

Written with amazing skill, Jerry Spinelli catches you in this book when he tells the tale of an amazing boy looking for home. Maniac Magee observes things around him, but is also caught in his own twisting, heartfelt tale. Maniac's character varies from being a friend, a hero, a maniac, a fighter, a big brother, a son that never was, and the only white who dared to enter the east of the city. You won't be bored!
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2014

Kind of good book

This is a pretty good book but if kids under 11 or 10 read this they have to understand racism because Maniac lives in the black side of town and he kind of is raciest. The Mcnabbs smoke and stuff so that is a little bad for a kids book. Although this book has a lot of positive messages so i would maybe consider reading this.
Kid, 10 years old October 31, 2013

A awesome book.

I read this book in my school. I think it is a great book because it shows how Maniac( Jeffrey) is a role model of telling people why black and whites could be together. It also tells what was the general idea of what was happening when there was a racial discrimination between the black and whites. I think it is a great book for every body to read.
Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2013

Good book, but what genre is it?

I'm not sure if it's historical fiction or not... Anyway, two swear words, Mars Bars, and assorted MILD (!) violence might concern a parent. Still, I'm most unhappy about the genre confusion.
Kid, 11 years old September 18, 2012

Maniac Magee

A great book for kids and adults!
Kid, 9 years old July 11, 2012

Great book!!!!

This book is great book but is so boring!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykota51412 February 6, 2012

best book for 9 and up.

i love this book i don't realy read at all but i did think this is one of the book's that keeps a kid like my self looking forward to 5 period instead of being on a phone or playing around with friends i'am a tough kid what i mean by that is dont cry to often but this book almost made me tear up greyson is like the grandpa maniac never had and his ant and uncal didint cut it for his life style he had ran away and found a town that had two sides a black and white side manic ran to the black side because he saw something he realy liked but the people on that side keep sasying what you doing here makeing him fill like a was unwelcome so he went somewere diffrent in town he met a girl she was drack skined and he thought she would want to be his freind so from there on maniac got to the point he lived with the family after he told them he didint have a home so from ther on he runs into a story of problems just like a normal life!.
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2011

Pretty Good

I read this book in class, but I would not have chosen it for myself. If you are into fantasy or Mystery you might not enjoy it as much.
Kid, 11 years old September 20, 2011

maniac magee

i think this book is good for any age. because it is really intresating.p.s i am really 11 years old
Kid, 10 years old September 3, 2011

I hate this book!

I hate this book so much! It is really boring too short. The book was about 50 pages long and it barely had any storyline at all! Don't read it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahH. August 21, 2011

violent life lessons

it is a great book about life lessons but a bit too violent. Its a good book to read, but it seemed boring at the beginning but got interesting on the way.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookwormwriter August 21, 2011

My Favorite of the Author's

I read this book in 8th grade, and I really loved it. It was a little easy for my reading level, but it was still really fun. I think that it is Spinelli's best book. I've read almost all of his books, and none compare. This is a really good book. The racism issue could be a little confusing for younger kids, but it's really simple. Happy reading! :)
Kid, 10 years old April 29, 2011

Great Book!!

Favorite book. Perfect for tweens and younger kids. Slight cursing.
Kid, 11 years old December 30, 2010

Really good!

I loved this book! It has a great message: People with dark skin and people with white skin should be able to live together. It's about a boy who runs away into a racially divided town. My only concern is that the McNab childern smoke and swear. They also say some racist things, but kids who are old enough to understand the book will realize that that family has a lot of bad role models. Maniac is a very good role modle, because he's brave and believes that despite skin color, everyone can live together. Also, Greyson didn't give up while learning to read.
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2010

it good but sad and bad
Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2010

My Review Of Manaic Magee

Manaic Magge By Jerry Spinelli Was So Funny, The Best Book Since Owen Foote, Soccer Star, And Best Book In 1990 And 1991
Kid, 10 years old July 11, 2010

Good for elementry school kids

so far I only read half of it.But its kind've racist so I wouldn't think that would've been a positive message but so far the book was ok,some parts were boring but some parts were good.