All member reviews for Matched

Fun, provoking start to dystopian series for teens.

Kid, 12 years old January 20, 2011

B-O-R-I-N-G

I was very disappointed in this book! I went out and bought it for the hard cover price because everyone hyped it up and stuff. I thought it would be fast paced and engrossing! NO. It's so slow paced, I stopped reading it for a while and then I didn't even finish it!!!
Educator Written byTeachMuch April 13, 2012

Matched is a great discussion starter...

Parent of a 11, 12, and 13 year old Written bykmburdick April 16, 2011

Middle school must-have

After getting my students (grades seven and eight) hooked on dystopian novels like "The Giver" and "The Hunger Games," Condie's novel "Matched" seemed like a perfect fit for summer reading, and I was right. It draws kids in, even reluctant readers; not a single parent had an issue with it's content and in fact, many enjoyed reading it themselves. It has wonderful mesages that fit in with our curriculum (both English and social studies). I'd like to actually have a chance to teach it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byATanck April 20, 2011

So sweet. Could NOT put this down. One of my favorite books of the moment. Too bad the second one comes out in November. I wanna know what happens between Ky and Cassie
Parent of a 9, 11, and 17 year old Written byMDmomof3 December 21, 2011

Great for tween/teen book club-great discussion possibility

I pre-read this for my daughter and loved it. It was fascinating to ponder all the implications of societal engineering and how the presumably good intentions to make a society where everyone lives a long, healthy, successful life comes at the price of personal freedom and choice. Of course, kids may not pick up on some of those messages without some discussion. Read it WITH your kids! The main characters do discuss love and there are a few kisses, but even the narration doesn't begin to discuss anything sexual or even sensual. My daughter is 11 and this is completely appropriate for her (and we guard her media choices closely). She is slightly mature for her age.
Adult Written bybethhoule June 9, 2015

POINTLESS!

I DON'T LIKE THIS BOOK. Cassia is really annoying! All she cares about is herself and her love life. At first she is really happy because she is going to be married to her best friend, Xander. But then she sees this other boy, Ky, and decides she likes him more than Xander and breaks his heart. Its pathetic. There isn't a message, and Cassia is a HORRIBLE role model. Don't bother buying or even checking it out from the library, it will just be a waste of your time.
Teen, 16 years old Written byraphael's_girl July 13, 2011

Matched

"Matched" is a fantastic sci-fi novel along the lines of "The Giver". The plot is exciting and well crafted, as are the likeable characters. Romance is a central part of the plot, but it's never overdone, giving time also to the inner workings of The Society and their dark secrets. The book also includes great messages about love and fighting for what you believe in, and the main character's family rallies together and supports one another numerous times. Cassia is an excellent role model who questions The Society's unfair laws and tries to help those she loves, even when it's hard for her. "Matched" is also a clean book, a welcome surprise in an age where most books for teens include profanity and sex. I highly reccomend "Matched": you won't be disappointed!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykris9star June 3, 2011

Creative but easy to stop reading

Very creative, a little over exaggerated with the age rating on here. There was nothing sexual other than a kiss here and there, no language, hardly any violence. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a good book to read. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byClearastheSea April 22, 2011

5 stars!

Read it in less than 24 hours!!! Great story with themes that will grab readers. The idea of a society where everything is carefully controlled is both chilling and intriguing.
Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2011

A slow but a must read book!

A slow, but great book. Couldn't stop reading! Teaches a lot about love and how its not all about crushes and flirting; There are a lot different sides and challenges to it. And readers can see that through a good life-like character/role model who goes through so much then a normal person would. Can't wait to see what happens next- great work of Ally's.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMz.DeDe April 25, 2011

anyone can read it

i really dont care for the book personally but it could be good for a young teen. it takes a long time to get into it but eventually yu will some what get the message
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJAM22 March 9, 2011
Teen, 13 years old Written byNaya B. February 4, 2011

Just plain.......ok (and I love boooks!)

This book.....I bought the hard-cover, I figured it sounded amazing (I love the whole future distopia thing) and this book turned out to be decent. It wasn't inapropriate, but be aware it was very slow paced. Not much action and kind of...eh..on the boring side if you cant keep up with the whole romance thing. I liked the setting and the creations of the world more than the characters. The writing is good, nice description, but the main girl, Cassia, bugged me sometimes. She over thought stuff and occasionally was a little dramatic over the whole "which one should I choose?" Almost the whole time she wasn't really sure what she thought, but in the end she figured everything out a little too late. Plus, the end of the book is sucky if Ali Condie doesnt hurry up and write a sequel.
Adult Written byPioneer Girl February 3, 2011

Good read for those around 12 or older

My daughter and I really enjoyed it. It is a good clean read, but surely makes you think about the government and it's role in people's lives or of the role it could have if we don't speak up and pay attention.
Teen, 14 years old Written byUna14 January 19, 2015

One of the worst books I've read

A complete waste of time and was very very very boring! Don't recommend this for anyone.
Kid, 12 years old June 3, 2011

Incredible. The epitome of any novel

Phenomenal book. Absolutely incredible. This book is about a Society that controls everything, from what you eat to who you will marry. Cassia is a very positive role model because she follows the rules, is respectful, and obeys her parents however she does believe that there are some flaws in the Society and she wants freedom. Ally Condie struck gold when she wrote this book. This book helped me to realize what things we take for granted! Even the little things like wearing colored clothing and working where we want, it just shows how it's the little things that make our life better but the little things are what we dismiss most often and unconventional and unimportant. Read the book. You won't be disappointed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCloudwatcher1727 May 12, 2011

Best book ever!

Love it
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina April 4, 2011

Great book couldn't put it down but younger kids will find it boring.

I loved this book it was great I could not put it down serisouly I was reading whereever even in bio class (I know I shouldn't read in class but I did). It was thrilling a true page turner you never knew what would happen next. I truly loved it. Anyone should read it only problem is that I know younger kids will find it boring so more mature kids should read it 13 and up I say.
Kid, 10 years old June 28, 2015

Matched: A romance starter

Matched is a romance book. Your child SHOULD read this. It's teaching lessons on when you become older-when in high school. This book is appropriate for ages 13 and older because it's a book for teenagers. 13 is considered a teenager. EDUCATIONAL VALUE : 2/5 stars because it teaches lessons but is not the MOST educational book because it does not cover all topics of educational value. GREAT MESSAGES: 1/5 because its telling you to run off with a random guy. I am 10 and this book is good, but I would never abandon my family for a boy! GREAT ROLE MODELS: People say Cassia-the 17 year old heroine- is a good role model for young girls. Well, partly. But she is sort of pathetic and she lets things go by her fast. Although, she believes in what she wants. She's a go-getter. So I would give this category a 3/5. VIOLENCE: 0/5 because although they poison the grandfather's food, it's not violent. SEX: 2/5 because there is a mention of kissing games and partly detailed kissing, but otherwise, it's clean. SWEARING: There is NO swearing! This book is clean- 0/5. CONSUMERISM: 0/5 because everything is free. All they do is TRADING! DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING: 1/5 because there are pills that are issued to every citizen to take. In this they are called tablets. The green tablet calms you. The blue tablet makes hunger go away. And the red tablet makes you forget.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAllCanadian November 4, 2014

One of my favourites

A very stunningly unique book, Cassia breaks unjust laws to do what's right. The most sad part of the book is when Cassia's grandfather dies. The only sexual stuff is a few kisses.