All parent member reviews for Matched

Educator Written byTeachMuch April 13, 2012

Matched is a great discussion starter...

Parent of a 11, 12, and 13 year old Written bykmburdick April 16, 2011

Middle school must-have

After getting my students (grades seven and eight) hooked on dystopian novels like "The Giver" and "The Hunger Games," Condie's novel "Matched" seemed like a perfect fit for summer reading, and I was right. It draws kids in, even reluctant readers; not a single parent had an issue with it's content and in fact, many enjoyed reading it themselves. It has wonderful mesages that fit in with our curriculum (both English and social studies). I'd like to actually have a chance to teach it!
Parent of a 9, 11, and 17 year old Written byMDmomof3 December 21, 2011

Great for tween/teen book club-great discussion possibility

I pre-read this for my daughter and loved it. It was fascinating to ponder all the implications of societal engineering and how the presumably good intentions to make a society where everyone lives a long, healthy, successful life comes at the price of personal freedom and choice. Of course, kids may not pick up on some of those messages without some discussion. Read it WITH your kids! The main characters do discuss love and there are a few kisses, but even the narration doesn't begin to discuss anything sexual or even sensual. My daughter is 11 and this is completely appropriate for her (and we guard her media choices closely). She is slightly mature for her age.
Adult Written bybethhoule June 9, 2015

POINTLESS!

I DON'T LIKE THIS BOOK. Cassia is really annoying! All she cares about is herself and her love life. At first she is really happy because she is going to be married to her best friend, Xander. But then she sees this other boy, Ky, and decides she likes him more than Xander and breaks his heart. Its pathetic. There isn't a message, and Cassia is a HORRIBLE role model. Don't bother buying or even checking it out from the library, it will just be a waste of your time.
Adult Written byPioneer Girl February 3, 2011

Good read for those around 12 or older

My daughter and I really enjoyed it. It is a good clean read, but surely makes you think about the government and it's role in people's lives or of the role it could have if we don't speak up and pay attention.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJAM22 March 9, 2011
Parent Written byjdanigel January 31, 2012

Matched

Very good dystopian novel and series for mid-teens. The protagonist goes through much of the same decision making and self-realization that many students that age do.
Adult Written byBrij1234 March 1, 2015