All member reviews for Maximum Ride, Book 1: The Angel Experiment

Teen, 15 years old Written byTrinly April 5, 2011

Maximum Ride, a fitting title for an epic series

This will forever be my favorite book series. When I first bought the books, I read them in one day each. The first three, however, were by far the best.
Teen, 17 years old Written byEliasador February 18, 2011

Worse than Twilight

I cannot believe that anybody would actually think this is a good book. It is an easy read (poorly written). It is a shallow book with no profound or original messages. The plot is all violence, and the violence is repetitive and gets the plot nowhere, so the book is a bore once you get past the blood and grime. The characters have little personality and are unoriginal. The romance is a joke. The plot does not fit together well. The whole storyline is lame. I mean, they are being chased by a band of genetically modified werewolves that shoot laser beams out of their eyes! The role models are horrible and reckless. If you want to read a book with a masterful plot and unforgettable characters, read Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, or the Underland Chronicles. Maximum Ride is not the way to go.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycass402 April 26, 2009

Amazing

An amazing book. I love it. There is a lot of violence and some bad language such as "Hell" and "crap" and things like that. Max, the main character says she curses a lot. Not the best message with the violence and stuff, but it is a good message at the same time. The kids are independent and it talks about the true meaning of family.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMaxCrazie671 April 11, 2010

LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS BOOK. DON'T listen to what the people on this website say, except me- of course! This is the best series I have ever read!!!!! This is a fiction book, does it matter if they stole a car? Most kids don't even know how to steal a car, and remember, they are doing this for survival. Do you want to say you died because you didn't steal a car? Oh wait, you couldn't, because you would be DEAD!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatherineDianeHord July 14, 2011

Please PLEASE Read This Comment. May Change Your Mind!

I am 13, my friend is 12, my brother is 11, and my other friend is 11. I got them all Hooked on this series. I finished the whole series in less then 3 weeks. This book was amazing and i could not set it down. This book is the best book i have ever read and please, give it a chance. Finish the first book and I know you will be begging for more. Once again LOVED it and hope you will too.
Kid, 12 years old March 28, 2012

Not that good

It's not exactly BAD, but not good. It gets a bit boring, even with all the violence. I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't say it's horrible either. It's just that it didn't catch my interest, even after reading most of the books.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRM011420 March 2, 2012

LOVE IT :)

Silence to the haters. This has been my favorite book series that I have ever read. I own every book of the series and I am open to admit that I am obsessed with the series. I hated twilight just because of the topic of vampires and wolves, but this is nothing even close to twilight for those who compare. But whether you liked twilight or not you should read this book. Mutant kids living on their own who are 98% human, 2% bird. Now this honestly seems like an original idea to me. My best friend said the book sounded stupid until I forced her to read the first book, then the next thing I knew she was borrowing the whole series from me! So please, go and read The Angel Experiment.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Person Guy July 12, 2011

GREAT!!!!

I can not believe that CSM says this is a bad book, it's GREAT!!!! It's one of the best book serieses I've read!!!! Please give it a try, it is very good and yo won't regret it one bit!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykoobbook01 March 9, 2011

look out twilight! heres MAX!! teens will love it!

i really am enjoying this series! i wonder why people dont like it but then again everyone has their own oppinion but i thot this book was amazing! i coud really relate to the leader max i found that we have similar things in common. deffinatly a good book if ur inot sci-fi and scary things i deffinatly would recomend this book! its a huge page turner. WAY better then twilight! this beats twilight into the ground :) i cant wait to continue reading this series! i hope this helped!
Kid, 11 years old November 11, 2010

maximum ride awsomeness

awsome!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byoh what cares May 2, 2010

A Maximum Ride Review

I liked the first book it was great i didn't want to put it down be warned though as the series goes on it slowly gets worse and worse until some of the characters don't even act like them selves any more and some even leaves with new coming in its clear that either Robert Patterson isn't sure what to write any more or that he just isn't taking his time hoping to get more cash --- over all it isn't so bad ---
Kid, 12 years old March 16, 2010

Awesome Book!!!!!! :-)

I really liked this book, it was very imaginative, very actiony, and very Suspenseful. Awesome Book!!! :-)
Kid, 11 years old November 5, 2014

Awesome and good

I personally am hooked on the seiries and i think is personally gorgeous for 11 and up~~~ And once you start reading you will not stop. Trust me, It dose have alot of Iffy stuff but parents let there kids watch worst so that is not a problem. Anyway I hope you take my review into reasoning.
Kid, 12 years old August 23, 2014

*Gasp*

Who would dare hate this book. It's AMAZING
Kid, 11 years old May 6, 2014

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a amazing book but it does swear a fair amount. There is violence but James Patterson has a way of making you feel like it will all be okay. Lots of broken bones, bleeding, and crazy people. A little bit of love/sex but it is very toned down. if you have read Harry Potter or Percy Jackson you are defiantly good to go!! James Patterson started the series great!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlienLifeform August 1, 2013

Amazing. Loved it

I was shocked when I saw how underrated this book was on this website. I loved the book so much I read the whole 400 pages in a day. The violence it nothing too serious unless you're a really touchy kinda person that can't handle 'bruised, scratches, nose bleed, cracked rib...' because there's not much more than that other than the 'broken neck' of a dead enemy. Max is a positive role model throughout the book, demonstrating protectiveness primarily of her 'family'- the Flock- as she risks her life to save Angel and makes decisions for the better of the Flock rather than herself, even hinting once that she had a plan in which they would all get out and be free except her, and that that was okay because her family would be safe. However, she doesn't only protect the Flock. Less than halfway into the book she again risks her life to defend a young girl, Ella, and while Ella gets away unharmed she suffers a bullet wound. The only use of bad language is 'crap', something I wouldn't even consider a swear word, and references to other bad language, such as Max's resolution to watch her language after hearing Angel 'cussing like a sailor'. The story is well written and I liked the very short chapters, about as short as half a page and long as three mostly. The only faults I found were : 1. it was never explained how the Flock got their food and clothing if nobody knew about them and they had no money and nobody living with them 2. How come nobody knew about them from the School if Jeb, their previous 'carer' who had supposedly been killed, had taken them? Why hadn't he just said where they were rather than waiting however many years it was to get them? Why did he get them out of the School in the first place? 3. Throughout the book and rest of the series the Flock always beat Erasers and other enemies in attack, so how come they lost so easily to them in the beginning of the book? I think at least a few Erasers should've been knocked out in that fight, because it made the Flock look pathetic that they so easily took Angel and it was almost laughable afterwards that they didn't lose once (although Fang does get badly injured at one point).
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2013

MAXIMUM RIDE ROCKS!

I am a huge fan of the Maximum Ride series! I have read all of the books, and I thought they were all amazing. This book is full of action, and you'll never want to put it down. There is some violence, but nothing an 11 year old or older can't handle. I recommend this book to people who like action packed books, or things in the fantasy or sci-fi genres!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookreader4Christ May 28, 2013

OK.....

This series had a lot of potential. It's got a superhero-esque plot, non-stop action, and is filled with laugh-out-loud humor. What's the problem? It's choppy. Chapters rarely get over three pages. Plot-line has loopholes. And unfortunately, starting with the fourth book, Patterson seems to lose focus and each book has a totally disconnected plot, an unnecessary love triangle (introduced in book 6), and Max's already iffy character goes even further downhill. So, books 1-3 are fine. An easy, exciting read...with a few minor concerns. Right now I'll just discuss my concerns with The Angel Experiment: POSITIVE MESSAGES The Angel Experiment is about six genetically altered kids--ages six to fourteen--who are on the run from the evil scientists. So...they have a distorted view of adults, which only increases as they are always being betrayed by those they trust (in book 7, Max vows to never trust an adult again). They can be snooty and disrespectful. They steal a car, justifying it by saying that the guy who owned it was a jerk anyway. In its defense, The Angel Experiment does encourage loyalty and defending those you love. POSITIVE ROLE MODEL As previously stated, Max thinks that all adults are bad. However, Max is loyal to the Flock. She is brave, willing to put herself at risk for others. Unfortunately, Max's character changes drastically as the series goes on--not in a good way. VIOLENCE Non-stop action. A little excessive. Rarely gruesome, though. There is one spot where Max stumbles across other genetically altered kids, and the description is a little disturbing. SEXUAL CONTENT Max and Fang kiss. That's about it. LANGUAGE Nothing horrific. A few uses of "crap" and the Lord's name in vain. There is a time or two where somebody is cut off before they say something worse. DRINKING None. OVERVIEW The first three books of the Maximum Ride series are...eh, pretty good, if you want an action-packed quick read. Nothing to really be concerned about, except for a few places of lacking ethics. I wouldn't recommend past that. You'll only be disappointed.
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2013

Maximum Ride Review

Great book for adults, teens or older kids.
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2013

Angel Experiment: A unique kickoff only Patterson could write

This fight-or-flight science fiction premise is one that may be seen or foreshadowed often, but James Patterson manages to take the plot and make an engrossing and adventurous novel out of it. The details of most of the fights within the book are the slightest bit grisly and gruesome, but the book manages to uplift this with its suspenseful drama and its bacon bits of light-hearted comedy. Despite some noticeable lack of steadiness within Angel Experiment, it is overall a nice kickoff to a saga with lots of potential.