All member reviews for Messenger: The Giver, Book 3

Mythic vibe in engaging story of boy with healing powers.

Kid, 12 years old February 25, 2011

Blend of Genres: Messenger

The perfect blend of mystery and sci-fi, with a pinch of dystopia, and a semi-fantasy filling is Lois Lowry’s very own: Messenger. This novel is just the thing if you need a passionate plot, but not many pages. As for story line, you will get intrigued at some point. Even though the viewpoint is in third person, but is very appealing given that it is based on a kid’s view. Matty has a very bubbly and unique personality; his perspective throughout the story is very interesting. It’s fun to see his old styles back from Gathering Blue, and how he changed as well. Many other characters from the prior trilogies are back. Jonas from The Giver is now “leader”, Kira from Gathering Blue is an important feature at the end, and Christopher (Kira’s blind father) is Seer, Matty’s guardian. This is nice for a little reunion, but also brings a little déjà vu. To its credit, Messenger has some good things to say about selfishness and how it can corrupt an entire society. But it also brought up some weird, unanswered questions. You can only assume, and just go with it. The book's idea is that it takes major sacrifice to change things for good--and yet that touching thought gets a little elaborate in the storytelling. Only your imagination and theories can give you a clue and possibly allow you to continue. In both good and bad ways, Messenger is obviously fiction. It’s nice to look into a realm of greenery as being alive, and with hands and vibrations. On the contrary, too much fiction makes the scenes feel illusory. Some parts seem like a joke, as they have no possibility in reality. It’s best to read the books in order; otherwise, the endings of the first two will be ruined by Messenger. And, this one relies on the prior two books to have a complete story, whereas the first two could stand alone as books. In final words, Messenger would be a great compelling story with many genres all bundled in a cozy amount of pages. It would be perfect “just for fun” read, or something to choose for a book report. If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it(:
Teen, 13 years old Written byP Lacey February 25, 2011

A Great Book

The Messenger, the last book in the Giver series, was a great book. Although I thought that there were some parts that were hard to follow, I really thought it was a great novel. It was, to me, a look into the future to see what would happen to the world when we are gone. I liked how Mrs. Lowry included Jonas from the Giver but his new name was Leader. Out of 10 I would give this book an 8 because since this is a look into the future I don’t believe that people could have these special gifts.
Adult Written byFlamingoX April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2009

I cried tears of reality

Some people would say this book is "Meaningful, but... I don't get it." Others would say,"Sure, it's good..." and leave it at that. To me, this book is the imaginitive reality of the world. Everybody has a certain job, placement, character in this world. Although none of us have a special superhuman talent, we all have gifts; we can all do at least one thing better than somebody else. MESSENGER is another MUST read on my list of novels, as is THE GIVER and many, many other stories. I would recommend the series to all middle schools if I was old enough, and definitely will when I can. Please, please please read this book and the books before it, I am positive you will have a similar reaction.
Adult Written byFelipe Carmona January 27, 2015

The Journey

This is a story about a boy who had grown up and now is name Matty. What his objective is to bring the Seer's daughter to the village before it's to late. Matty's task to bring Kira back to the village will be difficult because of how forest is looking. Now that forest is fighting back Matty has difficult time by passing to forest. Reason he is doing this task is because then he would something that will give him respect. Some BIG miracle would happen to change all at the end. The central conflict about the Messenger is how all of the people from the village where Matty lives change their personality by something called a trademart. A theme that fits this book is courage because of how Matty kept fighting forest. I say this book is the best i have read beside Pegauses. The reason i like this book is how Matty sets a promise to bring Kira back to the village no matter what. I would recommend this book to other people because of the it teaches how to keep going and not giving up.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycicoriac January 1, 2011

Okay read

I enjoy Sci- fi/ dystopic/ futuristic books, and Messenger was a good one. However, many questions remained unanswered, and the story seemed to suddenly end. Lowry wrote a great book, but the ending should have been more concluding.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLaurenO February 25, 2011
The Messenger is a realistic fiction book that my class has read. Our class has also read the other two companion novels, The Giver and Gathering Blue. I would recommend this book to read for educational purposes, but not for leisurely reading. The book is contains some impossible feats and powers, but otherwise it is realistic because the characters have real human emotions. The main character, Matty, has a power to heal. Some other characters that have powers are Kira, a crippled girl, and Leader, the leader of a village. People of the village were trading away their inner self. People of Village were becoming dirty and ugly. I think this book is a very good book for teaching that you should be yourself, not give it away.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2011

best book EVER

i LOVE this book! it may not be good for younger kids, because it is sad, but it is one of the most powerful books i have ever read! i inturpurted it as Matty being christ. i think that this was a AWESOME book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMichele23 February 26, 2011

Messenger Lois Lorwy

The Messenger companion novel in The Giver series is a wonderful novel. This story brings back: Matty, Kira, Seer (blind man) and Leader of Village. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best I would rate this novel an 8. This story has a very interesting plot line. Having a returned character, Matty does many important things. Then the excitement begins by having the Forest come to life and entangling people. I think that this story teaches us never to give up, because when Matty was in the Forest he never gave up.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaru90 February 25, 2011

Messenger Review

Messenger Review Brandon J. 7th Grade The book, The Messenger, which is written by Lois Lowry is a series book because it links to her previous books, The Giver and Gathering Blue. The main character of The Messenger is Matty who appeared in Gathering Blue. Also, there is a person who leads the Village in The Messenger whom we call Leader but is actually Jonas who’s the main character in “The Giver.” Even though it’s series book, it doesn’t really matter if you haven’t read all of them because it’s not like continuing story of previous book. I didn’t even read all of those series but it doesn’t really matter. Even though I recommend all of those series books you don’t have to read all of them to read, The Messenger, because it’s not like Harry Potter series. Anyway, The Messenger, is majorly talking about an adventure of a boy name Matty through forest that actually acts (responds) like people’s situations those who live in Village. Like if people’s hearts are being rotten which means being bad or mean, then the forest acts just like that to every people (forest even kills people) and the forest also rots itself. Matty goes through forest to bring Kira, who’s the main character in Gathering Blue, to the Village before the closing of Village from new comers. The forest is already being agressive and attacking Matty. Will Matty bring Kira back to Village safely? You’ve got to read this book. I, Brandon J. highly recommend The Messenger, also these series books by Lois Lowry. It’s so great that after I read the entire The Messenger, I felt like I just finished watching a great movie that remains in my head all day long and I want to share this kind of feeling with you. Thank you for reading my review.
Teen, 17 years old Written byThe Messenger review February 25, 2011

The Messenger By: Lois Lowry

The book Messenger by Lois Lowry is an amazing book. The main character Matty discovers that he has powers. This book is like a roller coaster with all the twist and turns. Would Matty and Kira be able to make through forest?
Teen, 13 years old Written byYunaC. February 25, 2011

The Messenger

Messenger written by Lois Lowry is a fantasy novel and a very mysterious story. At first, I thought it was boring and uninteresting, I was ready to give up reading the book. After we read a few more chapters, it got fascinating. It is a companion book to The Giver and Gathering Blue. At times, it is very emotional, but other times it was serious. This book was kind of like a roller coaster with all the turns and twists of creating an effective plot. The ending where a character has to face many bad events is touching and very sad but at the same time, one of the best endings I’ve ever read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJackie45 February 23, 2011

Great for 6th Graders and up

The book the Messenger was an amazing book which I personally fell in love with. The Messenger ties together the novels Gathering Blue and the Giver. Many questions that you might have had from the Giver or Gathering Blue will be answered in the Messenger. Even though questions will be answered many questions will be asked. If you read the messenger you will probably feel the same tension and suspense that the characters feel. Lois Lowry will definitely keep you wanting to read on.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywriter42 June 20, 2016

Awesome book!

I loved Messenger. It really lives up to The Giver. There is so much mystery and suspense, that it really can't be put down. Again, it sends great messages of sacrifice for the greater good and loving everyone, no matter what they look like or how different they are. This one is a lot more violent, describing wounds and attacks graphically, but older kids can handle. The end will leave you depressed, but wanting more. Read!
Kid, 12 years old May 1, 2016

Class Review

Matty is still under the guidance of Seer, who is the blind man. Matty is figure out his true name in the village. Unfortunately the village is the not the same as it was when Matty was first introduced. The village is going to create a wall to block out any visitors ; no one can come in or go out. This means Seer and Matty may never see their loved ones outside the village ever again. Matty sets out on this journey in hopes of coming back to the village before it is too late. The Matty struggle against the village about making a wall betwee the village and the outside . One of the central themes that the story was the bigotry. The village was a safe haven for those cast out of previous dwellings. It is a place that welcomes anyone in need of help. However intolerance sets in, and the people of village decided to close their boundaries to strangers who may not be good enough to live among them. I thought this book was weird because of the whole story concept, and I just thought it was weird how Jonas was called leader and Kira was also in the book. I would recommended this book if you are into fiction stories. I thought I would recommended to 11 year old because I thought that kids would enjoy this books that in the future. I give this book 3 stars because not only did I think that the concept was weird but the story itself was okay. I pick great messages because Matty and others had use their power and they use their power help the community then to seek for personal gain.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymetzgeremily February 4, 2016

Messenger

If you’re interested in an attention grabbing, fictional, and futuristic plot when picking out a book, The Messenger written by Lois Lowry may just be the story for you. The Messenger is the third book in The Giver series. The Giver and other novels of Lowy’s have received many awards, including the Newbery medal. The success of her books can be attributed to the well written, easy flow of writing that relates to readers and keeps their attention. Lowry’s writing style is an attention grabber, often with plots using post apocalyptic/sci-fi scenarios. The Messenger fit this category. Set in a futuristic society where nature is alive and people are born with gifts, the novel goes through the internal and external struggles of a young man’s life. Unlike many other authors, Lowry’s plots are usually unique and have many dynamics. For example, The Giver series connects all four books, each linking to each other in some way. Along with plot development comes character development. Lois Lowry’s characters in The Messenger are static and have deep internal and external problems they must face. Lowry uses relatable emotions to portray a sense of connection with the reader, and puts effort and detail into the creation of these characters. The characters also vary in age and personalities, putting a variety to the community within the novel. If you enjoy dark fiction and difficult situations, this novel is a perfect fit. The Messenger throws many problems into the main character’s life, not holding back anything. Lowry does not seem to have an issue with killing off characters like some novels do. This makes the book much more realistic, despite the darkness. Overall I would give this book five stars, and recommend to anyone interested in the description to read it as soon as possible.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySALLY S. October 23, 2013

The Messenger

This is an awesome book in the Giver Quaret, but its most understandable to people who understand other but a good novel for all, though it ends with the main character giving up his life for other
Parent Written bylaxnabby March 18, 2012

It left more questions than answers

I'm rather baffled at all the 4 and 5 ratings on The Messenger. I was REALLY enjoying the book, but it ended with more questions than answers. I was annoyed that this book spent so much time reviewing our main characters. I felt that Matty's character could have stood alone w/o all the backstory. Perhaps a little less looking back would have left room to answer so many questions left unanswered. Like what happened to Trademart? And what is going on with the Trademaster. How could he trade people for looks, love, and material items? What is he getting in return and why does he want it? What does this have to do with Forest? There needs to be another book. If not, then don't even waste your time reading this one. The Giver and Gathering Blue should stand alone if The Messenger is the end.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMeganeCheren February 25, 2011

Maybe for kids in middle school...

Compared to every book I’ve read with my class, The Messenger by Lois Lowry ended with the most questions asked. What I was not interested in was the amount of fiction. The story line was okay, but confused the majority of my class from the middle to end. When we finished it, I felt like complaining because the age rating seemed wrong. I felt like it was too much of a tragedy, but what we enjoyed were the character personalities. They seemed to have changed since the previous book, Gathering Blue. My recommendation for this book is that you should get it if you’re about twelve or older, and if you’ve read The Giver and Gathering Blue
Parent of a 17 year old Written bygius February 25, 2011

Messenger Review

Messenger is the third installment to the The Giver series that is written by Lois Lowry. It leaves many questions unanswered.It was good book because it is telling us that world is turning bad by humans. But it is also telling us that we can fix the world. I didn't like that Kira, Matty, and Leader have special powers because it makes the story very unbelievable. It was kind of turning into Harry Potter. I liked whole story except that Kira, Matty, and Leader have special powers.