All member reviews for Milkweed

Disturbing book on Holocaust provokes discussion.

Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2009

awesome book

i thought that the book was good but taught that w need so stay with our friends till the end
Teen, 14 years old Written bynerdgirl96 January 16, 2011

awesome, very educational

I love this book so much, and it's definitely one of the best Holocaust books there are (and I've read a lot). Somehow, all the tragic events are all the worse from such a naive perspective. It's the first book I've read that addresses the Warsaw Ghetto rather than the concentration (really death) camps. Definitely a must read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDently May 21, 2009

Holocaust

Jerry Spinelli has done it again! This book was very exciting and funny. It kept me Interested the whole time I read it. This is not only funny, it's a book describing the horrors and the insanity that happened during World War II. This book is definitely a great book for everyone ranging from the ages 11-16. It will well improve the knowledge of the war to all who read it. It is a great book and one of Spinelli’s best. ~Tyler
Teen, 14 years old Written byEve_Stargirl April 13, 2010

Perfect for people hoping to gain understanding of the holocaust

I thought that it was a brilliant book. I loved the way the main character seems to survive even though he the most ignorant. I think that even though it contained some bad role models, nudity and smoking, without some of these you really couldn't get a full understanding of the book and holocaust.
Teen, 17 years old Written byFUN.SIZ3.NiNJA February 24, 2010

Teenagers

I really liked the book. It was a very catching story. I read it in 2 days. Very hard to put down. Its a sad book though. And i dont think its right for younger kids. I would say about 13/8th grade. Because by then youve heard about the war a little bit more in history class and stuff, so it wont rise questions or create confusion either. its a wonderful book though. Jerry spinelli is very talented.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynot much November 28, 2009

I am thirteen and had just finished it. I think it is an emotional journey and is a very respected book. I think kids everywhere should have this book.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byRain -n- Roses November 1, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byreader2014 July 15, 2009

More Should Read This!

MILKWEED, is a great book if you in to the history type thing. Also, if your just looking for a little excitement, and are in to the holocaust. Theres a boy in the story who goes by the name "stop theif" in the beginning of the book. Later on he meets another boy who goes by Uri. Uri gives stop theif a real name, which is Misha. Misha then learns that there are Nazies comming to take over there city where they live. At first Misha looks up to the Nazies. But when he finds out that these nazies or jackboots as called in the book, arn't nice people he looks down on them. He trys to help a family when there forced to leave the city and move to the Ghetto, and there, misha trys to figure out who he really is. in the end........ oop's i better not say the end. you'll have to read and find out for you selves. Jerry Spinelli, did a magnificent job writting the book Milkweed. I would not recomend this book for kids who are under the age of 12. But if you 14 or 15 this is an excelant book. You will be heart broken to find out how these people were treated and how they had to live. Read and fing out how this magnificent story ends......... :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byॐख़ॢPinkRosesॐख़ॢ June 10, 2009

A must read book

Milkweed is a gripping book which takes place during the holocaust and is about a boy named Misha who tries to find out who he is. This book may be a little graphic about the holocaust at times, but I think 10 is the youngest age children should read this book because there are a lot of young mature readers out there waiting to uncover the holocaust. I am startled about the negative reviews. I have read a few books written by Jerry Spinelli and know he writes his books with great effort. Jerry Spinelli was not trying to teach a history lesson in Milkweed. I have read this book twice and I enjoy it. I think this book deserves more. A film should also be made in addition to this book.
Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2009

good book

This book is very interesting in the fact how Misha has no remembrance of his past life and seems very new to life. I especially liked how they ended the book by telling you what happened instead of letting you “make up your own ending”. Even though this book was based on a sad time I found it funny for when Misha would run up to Buffo and call him “Fatman!” I especially like this book because it reminds me of one of my relatives who is completely clueless to what is going on around him. I also liked the author’s perspective of Misha always having a go with the flow attitude. One more thing that reminds me of something outside the book is when Janina and Misha weren’t “brother and sister” they were best friends but once Misha started living with the Milgroms they started to act like actual brother and sister, getting in fights all the time over stupid reasons. So, all in all this has been one of my favorite books.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChinitaBaby97 February 7, 2011

Goodddddd Booookkkkkkkkkkkkkkk . (:

Love Ittttt !(:
Adult Written byiholland95 February 6, 2011

I think this is a good book.
Adult Written by_lilone November 19, 2009

i was actually about 14 or 15 when i read it.. the words are fairly simple and easy to read, so you'd think it's for younger people.. but the things it deals with, are events talked about more in high school.. if i remember correctly. when it's somethign already being spoken about, or somethign they've already been introduced to, the book may not make such a huge impact, though it still had quite an effect on me. i chose 12+ but feel it probably should be more 13 or so +.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjdog April 9, 2008

I hated it

I didn't like this book is was boring and there were many ppl dying all over the place. Misha steals and doesn't evern know it's bad, i uderstand that he needs to survive but i just don't think that that is appropreit. i don't reccomend this book.
Kid, 12 years old November 27, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written bysharka14 May 7, 2014

Want to read a good book?

Try reading Milkweed!
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2013

Common Sense Media does it again (and not in a good way)!

Now don't get me wrong, I love Common Sense Media, but I think people should be more careful when approving reviews. This book takes place in the holocaust, so naturally you get those themes like hunger, death, and torture. But all in all, this book was spectacular. I say one of Jerry Spinelli's best. To say there is just a bit of positive role model just proves that the reviewer wasn't a good reader. Misha is risking his life constantly risking his life for orphans. If this isn't positive, Earth has become one terrible place to live. Everything in this book is just so beautiful and the ending is a real tear jerker. But reading the kids reviews, several eleven year olds (like me) weren't quite getting how incredibly deep this book got. The metaphors were all over the place. So know your kids reading level, and wait a little if they aren't about an eighth grade level, so they can fully enjoy the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMeBeReal February 5, 2013

The Real Reason Of What I Think MIlk Weed Is About.

The Book First Starts Off Talking About A boy Name StopThief And Uri Because They Both Tryied To Steal A Loaf Of Bread From The Same Person. I Dont Think That Children Should Read THis At Elevem Years Old ,I Think That They Should Rather Focus On Their Other Education.
Kid, 11 years old December 8, 2012

MUST read

This my favorite book for sure! I am 11 and this book is the best I have red in my lifetime though the only one I have read about the holocaust I quickly caught on by asking my family questions. Such as "Do you know what the ovens are?" This is a sad but passionate. Just make sure to choose this for a MATURE child. A boy named Misha befriends a boy named Uri and his many friends. Misha survives from stealing and dodging bombs. Later in the novel they enter the Jewish ghetto. They die off 1 by 1 I could like to tell you the rest but your gonna have to read it yourself. ;)
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Really good!

Good book for tweens. It may be disturbing to some.