Parent reviews for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Book 1

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Book 1 Poster Image

PG13 book for most kids.

This is a very enjoyable book. You have to like fantasy and a little bit of horror / creepy. Which I do. I put a 13+ rating because of the language. Most teens will have heard or said the things in this book. That said I have 2 children. One that is very mature, my daughter. My son is more sensitive and would not like this book because of the story and the language. My daughter however, this is right up her alley. But she not a teen. While she is certainly smart enough and mature enough to read this, I will not allow it just yet. Certain sexual jokes and innuendos I am not comfortable with her getting to know yet. So my rating is PG13 for most.

Not for children

The book was excellent for an adult. Every single curse word besides the “F” was used in this book. It cussed throughout. Talks about very sexual things a few times. Would absolutely not recommend for a child.

Meh

Gave this book to my ten year old to read on her own. She's a very advanced reader and even though there's quite a bit of swearing and mature content, nothing that she can't handle or hasn't heard of in school, really. I'd read it before I let her, and I was really debating whether or not to let her. Quite a horror story, and the language could've definitely been dialed back a lot and still have been good. But I'd say that mature and advanced 10 year olds could possibly handle it. Just read reviews and maybe read it yourself before you do.

A "horrible family tragedy" leads sixteen-year-old Jacob Portman to an island close to Wales, where he "discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children." As Jacob checks it out, he realizes that those children, thought to have died during World War II, were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. And impossible as it seems-they may still be alive. Perfect for teens and adults alike.

Poo

Sex.

Akiva L

Horrible

Good for a shaky, late night read to spook you!

I liked the book just fine. It wasn’t anything particularly spectacular, but it was a good story for if you want a little scare. This is the sort of book that makes you jump at small noises at night. However! There is a lot of cursing, so if you or your kid or parent is uncomfortable with that, don’t read this book, because it has plenty. But yes, I would recommend it. Good and haunting, with creepy pictures jumping out all over the place. Nothing graphic, just weird. Good luck with this spooky, mysterious series!

AMAZING!!!

Ah this book is amazing!! I've read it 4 times and watched the movie at least twice!! My daughter (14) has been reading the book since she was 11 and loves it!! There are a few swear words but she knew at that age she couldn't use them and still hasn't! The books theme is one I like and I really love how the characters are portrayed! I very highly recommend this book to everyone!!

there is some swearing but nothing a middle schooler hasn't heard. It is a complex story so an average tween might the concept difficult to understand.