All member reviews for Mockingjay: The Hunger Games, Book 3

Exciting, dramatic -- and bloody -- sci-fi trilogy finale.

Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2011

Definately my Favorite Book.

I had finally finished two of three books in the Hunger Games Trilogy. I strongly believed that they were the most fantastic books I had ever read. However, after I opened Mockingjay, I knew that I had been wrong. This book was packed with even more drama and detail than the books before it. The reason I think this book was better than the previous books, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, is because the situation is much more difficult than before. Instead of having the Hunger Games themselves as a conflict, the conflict in Mockingjay was an entire war, putting tens of thousands of lives at risk rather than just 24. Many characters that I feel like I knew and loved died over the course of the story. I shed many tears over the perfectly written pages. This book reached out farther than any other book had before, right through my heart. That is what I admire most about the series’ author, Suzanne Collins, the most. The way she writes makes the words come alive, makes the characters jump right out of the page, the landscape painting itself right before your eyes. Mockingjay is probably the most inspirational novel I have ever read. I would recommend this book to more mature 9 year olds and up. Younger kids might not be able to understand some of the elements in Mockingjay as well as older kids and teens. The book brings up deep subjects like war, assassination, drug abuse, and alcohol. Although the drug and alcohol themes in the book are minor, it may bother some people. Readers should expect plenty of detailed violence and gore. If you enjoyed the other two novels in the Hunger Games Trilogy, and enjoy a fast-paced book with an excellent plotline, I think you will find that Mockingjay is absolutely breathtaking.
Parent of a 4, 9, and 10 year old Written bymockingbird72 November 16, 2010

Torture scenes too intense for teens

**SPOILER** If I were to make a movie in which a main character sees a friend's limbs being cut off methodically or another friend being drenched with water and then electrocuted repeatedly, there would be no question of an R or even NC-17 rating. Why are books not treated the same way? This is not young adult literature.
Teen, 14 years old Written byallisonh March 10, 2011

overall satisfying

this was my personal favorite in the hunger games serries. colins exibited a true understanding for the emotions katniss is feeling. at one point she is considering suicide and is refusing food. younger teens who havent been exposed to these trials may be overwelmed or burdened. throught the serries katniss matures and grows into the strong and detrmined woman that she is in the epiloge. it is evident that the strugles that she faced made her who she was ment to be. the violence in this final book is particularly explicit. durring a battle scene, a minor character`s eye is severly ingured and fully described. a certain leval of maturity is required to appritiate the love that peeta and katniss share, and some yonger kids may not understand. overall this book gives new hope and it was a privilage to read
Adult Written byJinOhio November 18, 2010

As an adult, I was obsessed with this series, which my 11 year old read and insisted I read, too. It is riveting and extremely thought-provoking and intelligent! As for age appropriateness, it is definitely very violent and grim. My daughter is more scared than average for movie watching, but was not affected by these books. I think this is up there with some of the classic dystopian novels I remember reading long ago when i was in 7th grade... Brave New World, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies. What is wonderful about it? Aside from being a really good story you can't put down... I am THRILLED to have a female hero who is really not at all focused on romance, though the reader is wondering throughout the trilogy if she will end up with Gale or Peeta. But Katniss "knows" early on that she doesn't want to marry, and she spends zero time mooning over boys. It is the boys who are interested in her! The references to Roman times add to the depth of the novel. I found myself thining about places like North Korea today -- this novel made me realize how incredibly difficult it is for a people to throw off a powerful, totalitarian government. It also portrays realistic responses to humans exposed to torture and war... they all have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. What's neat is we meet Haymitch and initially see him as a drunk and are judgemental of him... Once we are initiated to the Games, we realize he is suffering the inevitable consequences of having survived them. I found Katniss' decision to assassinate Coin to also be extremely surprising and brilliant and made me really think! Katniss was right, but I would not have been as smart as her. And one can have great discussions about: can one person be judge, jury and executioner? What if the person they are killing will otherwise become an evil dictator who kills children? While my 11 year old read and loved it, I think this book is better for teens and adults who want to intellectualize away! And unlike some other reviewers who were disappointed, please re-read Katniss' explanation of why she NEEDS Peeta and not Gale in the end.. Gale represents anger... the anger necessary for a successful revolution Peeta represents hope and rebirth, which is necessary for survival and carrying forward.
Adult Written bymarintx December 6, 2010

Good for older teenagers, but too much for tweens

I read the trilogy, and while I liked it a lot, I would not want my kids to read it before they are in high school. Particularly this last book, Mockingjay, contains some disturbing content and is quite violent. A number of essential characters are killed off in horrible ways, and the main character goes through horrifying experiences. I am not sure why this is being marketed to tweens. There is much more graphic violence than in the Eclipse books, for example.
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2011

Way to go Katniss!

This series really makes you grateful for what you have. Great ending to a great series. Peeta was always my favorite! Katniss needed someone calm but not wimpy to balance out her violent, rebellious side. Gale was too....violent and would've driven Katniss crazy listening to him rant.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKatrianra November 6, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byZairaFire November 15, 2010

Amazing but Not

I thought it wasn't very bad but it lots of places it was very depressing. It left me feeling that the book was seriously missing something.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycillee December 20, 2010

A good, albiet scary book - except for the end

Chances are, the ending won't leave the reader happy. The plot is very dark, very few people get out alive, and there are very scary images described. The book brings up an interesting idea about the "right" thing to do about war propaganda, loss of a loved one, and leading an army. Warning: this book isn't as good as the previous two, in part because she doesn't go to the Hunger Games. There is almost none of the previous books' humor.
Teen, 14 years old Written byILoveView December 20, 2010

Almost perfect

Not sure but it looks like Collins just got a new set of vocabulary since she uses not-so-complicated words in her first and second series. Some of the words might be too hard for tweens to understand but its good to keep a dictionary at your side while reading it. At first, I thought the book would "fail" since the plot from the start was REEAALLYY slow then slower when it reached the middle part then back to normal speed when on the last part. The best part actually was the last part and the epilogue, didnt really like the first and second and i felt like giving up reading it cuz its really boring.
Teen, 17 years old Written byXenon Vortex November 17, 2010

Hmm....

I didn't enjoy this installment as much as the previous two books. This one was violent, depressing, and slightly repetitive. SPOILER: (The ending wasn't satisfying in my opinion. I felt that Suzanne Collins did a poor job of wrapping her book up). My main concern is the drug and alcohol use.
Teen, 14 years old Written byi_belong_to_Him. November 7, 2010

Wonderful:) But ending makes me want something else :(

Love it! Lve the series! Love the author! The book is amazing until the last third. It was not that it was poorly written, but it was not the way I wanted the plot to go... Over all I love the book, though :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byShe-WolfAlpha September 27, 2010

SADNESS :(:(

AUGH!!!!! HATED HATED HATED THE ENDING!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2010

The best book ever!

I am soooo in love with this series. It rivals the Lightning Thief. Although in some parts it can get a little gory, it is fabulous. It is not only for boys though, there is a little romance between Katniss and Peeta (and a little with Katniss and Gale too!) It is better for kids with better reading comprehension (I didn't understand some parts) But all in all it is a marvelous story and I highly rcomend this book!
Teen, 13 years old Written byskiergirl202 November 19, 2010

This book is Amazing! I thought it was the best book in the Hunger Games series! I cried on the last chapter it was that good. Wonderfully written.
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2010

Bloody deaths

Too many people die, but still one of my favorites.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoveleater October 27, 2010

On.... for ages 12 and up.... mature 12- year- olds.

Bloody....... This novel is the most raw one of them all. Bombs are blown off, including a hospital. Many deaths of beloved characters. One man poses in his underwear. Many tears are shed, and a exciting. but scary chase scene in the sewers. It is really good, but blood is often shed, and described. I wouldn't pick this one up if you haven't read the other two. I am sad to see the story end this way, but I guess, its war, right? Katniss does choose who she will live with for the rest of her life, yay!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM January 8, 2011

Food for teens thought.

The WORST book in the Hunger Games, but with a hooking plot that keeps the anxious reader reading on into the blackness. This was VERY dark and depressing. Many beloved characters die, unimaginable torture and practices described, though not too heavily, you can hardly trust anyone, and the main character sinks deeper and deeper and deeper and deeper into a grave depressing state. Though I have to give credit to the author, Collins, for writing so well as to bring the reader fully into the story and its emotions. But overall, this is a book I doubt I'll ever reread because when I was finished I was just not satisfied with the ending and the story. In fact, one of the best parts of the books was when you learned Katniss, the main character, started becoming normal again and fell back in love with Peeta whom, I hope, became her husband and they had several children. Just by reading this you can tell Collins isn't very good at weaving happiness and genuine hope into a story, even giving the storyline and situations she could have made it more hopeful. On a happier note, the action was eye-gluing, the language pretty clean, and hardly any consumerism to look out for because... it takes place in the future! As for educational value, the reader's mind will be open to thought and discussion on future and tyrannical governments, sacrifices and bravery and tough decisions, and many more topics that deal a dark, futuristic world and justice. To look out for: heavy, though not too graphic, violence which includes torture, people blowing up, blood, and tons of other stuff that a normal thirteen-year old should be able to handle; some kissing and mentions of prostitution;one character drinks A LOT and morphine addiction in some characters; some negative messages about how to handle tough situations, how to treat your at-your-mercy enemies, and other dark subjects; most of the characters in this books are downright bad role models, but readers would normally excuse that giving their condition, and they hardly ever act hopeful about justice and peace. This is definitely NOT Suzanne Collins best book, but it was a gripping conclusion to her infamous Hunger Games trilogy. The story and setting gave plentiful food for thought about a world where its poorer subjects live in dystopia, considering many today live in that condition, and what just governments are. However, violence, drinking, bad role models and messages, as well as mature themes, add to the higher age rating, but if you put this in front of a tween I assure you they will read on for the justice of the rebellious characters and for the pure genius of Suzanne Collins writing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiNSPiRED February 21, 2011

Twist ending

I liked this book a little more than any of my friends did, even if the book made me extremely angry and even a little teary all the way through. Collins made me crazy by killing off half of my favorite characters, but still manages to create a happy ending that at least I was OK with. Still, a great book!
Parent Written byBookOak October 23, 2011

Not a PG-13 book.

I am appalled by this and the preceding two books in the series. Maybe I got stuck in time somewhere, but this level of violence, even if fake, is simply not acceptable in my opinion. When I read these books I am constantly wondering how my daughter's perspective is being changed. I am trying to talk to her about this and that we should guard against violence of this nature. We've talked about Roman gladiators and the torture of Christians in Roman times, about witch trails and about the holocaust, as well as torture in dictatorships and other situations. I'm constantly trying to tell her that violence is NOT an OK choice and that we abhor violence and especially torture and creative ways of killing human beings. What I fail to understand is how this book is appropriate for 12-year olds. All I want to do is toss the entire series in the trash can, where I think they belong - right with slasher movies and the like. If this book was made into a movie, it would not carry a PG-13 rating, but an R or NC-17.