All member reviews for Monster

Provocative book about teen on trial for murder.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHarryPotterandW... July 9, 2011

Great book; Easy to handle

I had to read this book for school, and I have to say it was good! It's formatted differently than most books which will appeal to non-readers. It was also a pretty easy read, but mature at the same time. The inference to sex and rape was mildly brief and if you are a young teen or older, there's no reason you can't handle it. Steve is a good role model, staying strong through the trial and never giving up on believing he's not guilty. A book everyone should read!
Adult Written byJesse419 July 6, 2010

Eye opener

Good Book. Took me an hour or so to read it. This was my first time reading a Walter Meyers book. I think it is appropriate for 8th or 9h graders. It can open there eyes a little. As for the sexuality, violence and language I think it sets the tone of the book without going over board with it because lets face it teens to early adulthood say far worse. I think a lot of ppl in general have been faced with some kind of peer preasure or wanting to excepted in there life and from what i got from it that's what this book was about. A teen growing up in Harlem who wants to be excepted by the so called "tough guys" of the neighborhood, but at the same time wants and has a bright future a head of him and from one mistake brings his hopes and dreams to a stand still of the possibilty of spending a very long time in prison. It was clear that he was guilty and pretty much just got lucky. This book shows teenagers and young adults what could happen if you get caught up in the wrong crowd and give in to peer preasure. This is a extreme case of just that but this kind of thing happens everyday, not just with ppl in Harlem but ppl from any where. I think more teens and young adults need to have there eyes opened to such things. We all know what it is like to be in similar circumstances maybe just not so severe. My thoughts are that Steve did participate in the crime. Maybe he chickened out at the last moment maybe he didn't but he did participate and in result was involved in felony murder. King knew he would participate because he knew Steve looked up to him. Osvaldo participated because he wanted to make a name for himself. King Participated because he looked up to Bobo. Bobo did it, well because he wasn't right in the head. King might have not shot the clerk but this is what happens when you hangout with ppl like them and think they are loyal because 99% of the time they're not and will tell lies on you/ rat you out to save there on behinds. That is pretty much what they all did. Bobo, Osvaldo and King all did that to get lighter sentences. Steve just lied and said he was no where around these guys and barley knew them when it was aparant he did and hung out with them. He got lucky. Do I think he should have got 25 to life? No, but I do think he should have been punished. Robbery is a serious thing. I know none of them expected it to go down like that but that is the risk you take when you do something of this nature. What I hope young readers get out of this book is this, all these kids were bad. There was no hero of this story. These kids commited a horrible crime, lied, cheated in anyway not to go down for it. Those so called "Tough guys" that you might idolize, hangout with or want to be like might not be so tough when the heat is on and authorties of any stature start asking them questions and acussing/ bust them. Names will start spewing from there mouth and they won't have an ounce of regret. So stay clear from stuff like this. Check your priorities and take a look in the mirror. It just shows how quick incidents take to spiral out of control and you're on the other end fighting for your life.
Adult Written bytheatreteach September 12, 2009

This story does deal with racism and a little bit of violence and sex, but it is very educational and interesting. Definitely a worth while read.
Written byAnonymous March 23, 2014

Rated OFF for strong violence and blood, references to people killing another and not being remorseful, and references to violent crime including rape and murder.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2010

a book with advice

It's a very good book with strong messages. If you keep getting into trouble, it becomes a habit. And your actions become worse as well as the consequences that follow. Just follow the rules and don't lie.
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2011

Awsome

I read this book in 6th grade in Mr.Hlavins class and i loved this book. One of the best books ever read!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bypollenine January 7, 2010

the book to read love and never forget - monster

i think that this was the best book that i have ever read i would have recomended this book to other people because i and them can learn from it. the book teaches a lot about what can happen to you if you were in steve situation and it teaches you that you should do babd or you get bad so that is the reason why it think its good.
Kid, 12 years old January 23, 2015

Wake up and smell the coffee

1.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've seen a lot of parent reviews that say that this isn't appropriate for a 13 year old. I even saw one that claimed the book was 'shallow'. Wake up and smell the coffee, people. Welcome to real life. If your child is in 8th grade, I will guarantee that they have heard this kind of language before. Are there sexual references? Yes. Did that make me and does that continue to make me uncomfortable? Yes. But if you only read things that say the world is perfect, and exactly how you think it is, you will never learn anything. --------------------------------------------------------------------2.The general consensus seems to be that kids love this book for telling it like it is, and I agree. I read this accidentally in 5th grade, not realizing what it was, and loved it. This is a hard book to read. Ultimately, the sun comes out, but you are left uncertain about Steve's innocence. There are references to rape and teenage sex, but it's really no worse than language used in a middle school. I highly recommend this book to strong 5th grade readers and above.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMattyboy292 November 30, 2012

I am amazed at what people will do to keep their child in a "perfect" life

I personally see why parents would not want thier kids reading this, but it has a very postive message. Stating that jail is it worth any amount of money. Isnt it a part of the American constitiution that we have the freedom to read what we want, to your parents dicression.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLena Cantarell December 20, 2011

When You Pick It Up You Will Never Let It go

Hi Im A 15 Year Old Girl Name Selena And I Think This Book Can Be For 7th Grader's.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykhiid munch May 10, 2011

perfect for kids who have an not so good life you should read it

this isthe greatest book ever
Teen, 14 years old Written byodem13 April 25, 2011

i had to read it for my 8th grade reading class and it is really good. as for the language and sexual stuff you hear worse every day in school
Teen, 15 years old Written bybend boots March 1, 2011

Teen, 13 years old Written byTamaraClarke85 September 25, 2010

About Middle School

I like because it tell you realty.GOOD BOOK!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjeennnaaaa101 November 23, 2009

I love this book. I'm in 8th grade and read it as a class. Although it talks about robbing, smokin, and getting a girl pregnant does'nt mean very much. It shows the consequences of each of those things done. Monster has a few themes; Be true to yourself and Think about your tomorrows. This book is a lesson learn and that you shouldn't give in to peer pressure.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywoodyactor May 21, 2009

this is an amazing bok i am thirteen and i lovedit

ok im not a reader as a matter of fact i realy hate reading but i am an actor iv been in over than 100 plays and i love it because it is like a script so im use to it and i love that i read almost 200 pages in a matter of 40 minutes i loved it it was a little sexual so i think 13 is the starting age to read this book all in all i loved it
Teen, 15 years old Written bycharmedone April 9, 2008

a must read for peoplewho love suspense and drama

a lit action a little drama but a whole lot of suspense you can't miss
Teen, 16 years old Written byVictoria13wm May 8, 2012

monster great

Monster is a very good book. very educational for the young black males.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykeenay March 8, 2012

learn from your mistakes teenagers

i think this a great book that teenager can read to grt there life together