All member reviews for Monster

Provocative book about teen on trial for murder.

Adult Written byJesse419 July 6, 2010

Eye opener

Good Book. Took me an hour or so to read it. This was my first time reading a Walter Meyers book. I think it is appropriate for 8th or 9h graders. It can open there eyes a little. As for the sexuality, violence and language I think it sets the tone of the book without going over board with it because lets face it teens to early adulthood say far worse. I think a lot of ppl in general have been faced with some kind of peer preasure or wanting to excepted in there life and from what i got from it that's what this book was about. A teen growing up in Harlem who wants to be excepted by the so called "tough guys" of the neighborhood, but at the same time wants and has a bright future a head of him and from one mistake brings his hopes and dreams to a stand still of the possibilty of spending a very long time in prison. It was clear that he was guilty and pretty much just got lucky. This book shows teenagers and young adults what could happen if you get caught up in the wrong crowd and give in to peer preasure. This is a extreme case of just that but this kind of thing happens everyday, not just with ppl in Harlem but ppl from any where. I think more teens and young adults need to have there eyes opened to such things. We all know what it is like to be in similar circumstances maybe just not so severe. My thoughts are that Steve did participate in the crime. Maybe he chickened out at the last moment maybe he didn't but he did participate and in result was involved in felony murder. King knew he would participate because he knew Steve looked up to him. Osvaldo participated because he wanted to make a name for himself. King Participated because he looked up to Bobo. Bobo did it, well because he wasn't right in the head. King might have not shot the clerk but this is what happens when you hangout with ppl like them and think they are loyal because 99% of the time they're not and will tell lies on you/ rat you out to save there on behinds. That is pretty much what they all did. Bobo, Osvaldo and King all did that to get lighter sentences. Steve just lied and said he was no where around these guys and barley knew them when it was aparant he did and hung out with them. He got lucky. Do I think he should have got 25 to life? No, but I do think he should have been punished. Robbery is a serious thing. I know none of them expected it to go down like that but that is the risk you take when you do something of this nature. What I hope young readers get out of this book is this, all these kids were bad. There was no hero of this story. These kids commited a horrible crime, lied, cheated in anyway not to go down for it. Those so called "Tough guys" that you might idolize, hangout with or want to be like might not be so tough when the heat is on and authorties of any stature start asking them questions and acussing/ bust them. Names will start spewing from there mouth and they won't have an ounce of regret. So stay clear from stuff like this. Check your priorities and take a look in the mirror. It just shows how quick incidents take to spiral out of control and you're on the other end fighting for your life.
Adult Written bytheatreteach September 12, 2009

This story does deal with racism and a little bit of violence and sex, but it is very educational and interesting. Definitely a worth while read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHarryPotterandW... July 9, 2011

Great book; Easy to handle

I had to read this book for school, and I have to say it was good! It's formatted differently than most books which will appeal to non-readers. It was also a pretty easy read, but mature at the same time. The inference to sex and rape was mildly brief and if you are a young teen or older, there's no reason you can't handle it. Steve is a good role model, staying strong through the trial and never giving up on believing he's not guilty. A book everyone should read!
Teen, 15 years old Written bykhiid munch May 10, 2011

perfect for kids who have an not so good life you should read it

this isthe greatest book ever
Adult Written byt.r.reader December 6, 2010

Such a shame to rate this as "iffy"

If there's an infrequent use of "mild to moderate" language and implicit or passing references to sexual activity, I'm unsure why this book would be rated so highly for sex and language. Violence? Of course violence is part of "Monster;" the story is about a young teenager on trial for aiding in a robbery which results in murder. I rate this as appropriate for ages 13 and up not for any "controversial content," but because Myer weaves such a complex story, following the protagonist, Steve, as he struggles to understand how he's come to this point, his overwhelming trial, his dreams in life. Readers are left to figure out Steve's guilt or innocence; Steve himself must grapple with who he is versus what others see him as. Though these questions are never explicitly asked, Myers' story encourages readers to consider how we view young, urban black men; how these perceptions are internalized; justice; how a life (potentially) derails. "Monster" is a quick read that will draw in reluctant readers with its mixed journal and screenplay-style narrative, but be warned: it not only entertains (because let's face it: it's just a darn good story), it also gets kids and teens to think.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byallihamp March 8, 2011

i think the book was good it teaches you a lesson about robbing a store that its not a good idea
Adult Written byJosieKiper April 7, 2011

Good, but not fully appropriate for younger teens.

It was a decently good book, but some of the side topics may not be age appropriate if you are under 14 or 15. Being as how the maturity level of teenagers has risen through out the years, 13 may be acceptable too. The amount of swearing is very low, although some words are a little bit rude or harsh. I personally think the book was pretty good, and I would reccomend it to someone between the ages of fourteen and twenty.
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2011

Awsome

I read this book in 6th grade in Mr.Hlavins class and i loved this book. One of the best books ever read!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byodem13 April 25, 2011

i had to read it for my 8th grade reading class and it is really good. as for the language and sexual stuff you hear worse every day in school
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2010

a book with advice

It's a very good book with strong messages. If you keep getting into trouble, it becomes a habit. And your actions become worse as well as the consequences that follow. Just follow the rules and don't lie.
Parent of a 7, 9, 12, and 13 year old Written byConservative Mom November 10, 2009

Inappropriate for under 17!

As a parent, I am so disappointed that my child's teacher assigned this book and now she will be ostricized because I will most definately NOT allow her to read this book. The author could have told the story minus the graphic sexual attacks and other violence. Why expose my child to those things at her age (13)? The book is shallow and without merit.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycharmedone April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byjeennnaaaa101 November 23, 2009

I love this book. I'm in 8th grade and read it as a class. Although it talks about robbing, smokin, and getting a girl pregnant does'nt mean very much. It shows the consequences of each of those things done. Monster has a few themes; Be true to yourself and Think about your tomorrows. This book is a lesson learn and that you shouldn't give in to peer pressure.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTamaraClarke85 September 25, 2010

About Middle School

I like because it tell you realty.GOOD BOOK!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 19, 2010

best book ever!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byPufferpuff September 5, 2009

I love it:) It makes me realize da true world.
Adult Written bymonkeysmd August 26, 2011

Good

Teen, 15 years old Written bybend boots March 1, 2011

Teen, 15 years old Written bypollenine January 7, 2010

the book to read love and never forget - monster

i think that this was the best book that i have ever read i would have recomended this book to other people because i and them can learn from it. the book teaches a lot about what can happen to you if you were in steve situation and it teaches you that you should do babd or you get bad so that is the reason why it think its good.
Adult Written byteach26 March 26, 2009

Appropriate and Necessary

First of all, the sexual references in this book are so slight and passing they are negligible, and second--there is nothing "immoral" or wrong with sexuality. It is a part of life. This book tells a heart-wrenching story of a boy on the cusp of adulthood, facing decisions that most adults never have to make. While he is determined to be a good big brother and role model to Jerry, his little bro, he is also sucked into the street life of his older acquaintances. As a new high school teacher, I will most definitely be requiring my students to read this book.