Provocative book about teen on trial for murder.

Teen, 16 years old Written byVictoria13wm May 8, 2012

monster great

Monster is a very good book. very educational for the young black males.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTamaraClarke85 September 25, 2010

About Middle School

I like because it tell you realty.GOOD BOOK!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bypanda_bear13 April 9, 2008

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I have just barely started to read this book. it's right, it does make you have pity for Steve. i do want to continue reading this book. it seems good.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPufferpuff September 5, 2009
I love it:) It makes me realize da true world.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycharmedone April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bysave_the_tigers! April 9, 2008

This book is AWESOME!!

I haven't even finished reading this book and I already think it's awesome! Everyone must read this book or they shall be sorry! It's packed with so many interesting comments and events. A definent page-turner!
Educator and Parent Written byMediaXpert April 13, 2014

Tense, Well Written, and Expressive.

THE BOOK: Monster is about 16 year old black Steve Harmon. He is on trial for a murder that he is ALMOST sure he did not commit. It portrays the reality of the American judicial system, and how it mistreats minorities. THE RATING: While this book wasn't exceptional or moving, Walter Dean Myers does a good job with the entire book. It conveys how scared Steve is; the courtroom intensity; and how unpleasant prison is. AGE: Rated PAUSE for 12 and up for violence, blood, disturbing images, and implied sexual content. Some people believe that because this book has mature content, it is not good. And indeed, there is violence, blood, sexual content, and drug material, but it isn't over the top; it's in the context of the story.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykeenay March 8, 2012

learn from your mistakes teenagers

i think this a great book that teenager can read to grt there life together
Adult Written bymonkeysmd August 26, 2011

Good

Teen, 13 years old Written byMibs November 12, 2015

Not the best.

It seems like everyone really likes this book, but honestly I don't really love it. It sounded really cool and original, but it wasn't totally engaging. I got bored of it pretty fast. There Isn't much that younger children shouldn't be able to handle. I read this book when I was 10. The only reason I say eleven is because I don't think anyone younger would really think it was interesting. Still, the perspective was fresh, and it's still worth reading.
Adult Written byJosieKiper April 7, 2011

Good, but not fully appropriate for younger teens.

It was a decently good book, but some of the side topics may not be age appropriate if you are under 14 or 15. Being as how the maturity level of teenagers has risen through out the years, 13 may be acceptable too. The amount of swearing is very low, although some words are a little bit rude or harsh. I personally think the book was pretty good, and I would reccomend it to someone between the ages of fourteen and twenty.
Adult Written byt.r.reader December 6, 2010

Such a shame to rate this as "iffy"

If there's an infrequent use of "mild to moderate" language and implicit or passing references to sexual activity, I'm unsure why this book would be rated so highly for sex and language. Violence? Of course violence is part of "Monster;" the story is about a young teenager on trial for aiding in a robbery which results in murder. I rate this as appropriate for ages 13 and up not for any "controversial content," but because Myer weaves such a complex story, following the protagonist, Steve, as he struggles to understand how he's come to this point, his overwhelming trial, his dreams in life. Readers are left to figure out Steve's guilt or innocence; Steve himself must grapple with who he is versus what others see him as. Though these questions are never explicitly asked, Myers' story encourages readers to consider how we view young, urban black men; how these perceptions are internalized; justice; how a life (potentially) derails. "Monster" is a quick read that will draw in reluctant readers with its mixed journal and screenplay-style narrative, but be warned: it not only entertains (because let's face it: it's just a darn good story), it also gets kids and teens to think.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykaylesie March 20, 2016

BEST BOOK EVER

This book is written in the form of a movie script. There are parts that are flashbacks that give a little more information about what Steve remembers about the event. This book is about Steve who is on trial for assistance in a robbery and murder. It has some violence but nothing you don't hear about all the time in the news. i strongly recommend this book to who ever is thinking about reading it.
Adult Written byemmae June 25, 2015

School

We read this as a class, at school. It is great!!! One of the best books I've ever read, for school. Of course I do like the books I actually get to choose, but for being "forced" to read it, it's amazing!!!
Parent of a 15 year old Written byallihamp March 8, 2011
i think the book was good it teaches you a lesson about robbing a store that its not a good idea
Teen, 14 years old Written byANTONETTE April 9, 2008