All member reviews for Monster

Provocative book about teen on trial for murder.

Parent of a 2, 6, and 14 year old Written byadnetn March 1, 2009

Outraged and Appauled!

I am outraged and appauled that my son was required to read this book in school. Sexual references are immoral and entirely inappropriate for any reader - much less a high school student. Don't waste your time.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycharmedone April 9, 2008

a must read for peoplewho love suspense and drama

a lit action a little drama but a whole lot of suspense you can't miss
Educator and Parent Written byMediaXpert April 13, 2014

LEARNING

Tense, Well Written, and Expressive.

THE BOOK: Monster is about 16 year old black Steve Harmon. He is on trial for a murder that he is ALMOST sure he did not commit. It portrays the reality of the American judicial system, and how it mistreats minorities. THE RATING: While this book wasn't exceptional or moving, Walter Dean Myers does a good job with the entire book. It conveys how scared Steve is; the courtroom intensity; and how unpleasant prison is. AGE: Rated PAUSE for 12 and up for violence, blood, disturbing images, and implied sexual content. Some people believe that because this book has mature content, it is not good. And indeed, there is violence, blood, sexual content, and drug material, but it isn't over the top; it's in the context of the story.
Written byAnonymous March 26, 2014

Predictable: with a great message

GENERAL OPINION: I love Walter Dean Myers, and with this book it seems that he has stepped outside of his comfort zone for this one. He usually writes in a casual, humorous way. However, this book is tense and dramatic. It is still a very enjoyable book. It is about 16 year-old Steve, who is black, and is on trial for the murder of a drug store owner. Throughout the book, Steve can't seem to come to a consensus with himself about his guilt/innocence. The whole book (except for Steve's journal) is written as a movie script, which I believe keeps it unbiased. The details are clear in the script, however the details that Steve provides in his journal about himself are murky. This book is a very good discussion starter, especially if you play "jury". ABOUT THE RATING: I think 4 stars is a reasonable rating for this book. It was good, but nothing exceptional. I didn't feel that I was "involved" in the book. It was also predictable. I wouldn't imagine Walter Dean Myers having a negative ending for one of his books. Don't get me wrong though: this book deserves a place on your bookshelf. ABOUT THE AGE RATING: I believe that this book doesn't convey a "great" message, but it does convey a message: and that is the reality of the American justice system, and how it mistreats minorities. This book is iffy for children under 12. Keep in mind the whole book is about a murder trial, and includes detailed descriptions of people dying, getting shot, stabbed, beat, and raped. There are also descriptions of blood that are graphic and somewhat disturbing. However, a young teen should be able to handle this book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byVictoria13wm May 8, 2012

monster great

Monster is a very good book. very educational for the young black males.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykeenay March 8, 2012

learn from your mistakes teenagers

i think this a great book that teenager can read to grt there life together
Adult Written byJosieKiper April 7, 2011

Good, but not fully appropriate for younger teens.

It was a decently good book, but some of the side topics may not be age appropriate if you are under 14 or 15. Being as how the maturity level of teenagers has risen through out the years, 13 may be acceptable too. The amount of swearing is very low, although some words are a little bit rude or harsh. I personally think the book was pretty good, and I would reccomend it to someone between the ages of fourteen and twenty.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byallihamp March 8, 2011

i think the book was good it teaches you a lesson about robbing a store that its not a good idea
Adult Written byt.r.reader December 6, 2010

Such a shame to rate this as "iffy"

If there's an infrequent use of "mild to moderate" language and implicit or passing references to sexual activity, I'm unsure why this book would be rated so highly for sex and language. Violence? Of course violence is part of "Monster;" the story is about a young teenager on trial for aiding in a robbery which results in murder. I rate this as appropriate for ages 13 and up not for any "controversial content," but because Myer weaves such a complex story, following the protagonist, Steve, as he struggles to understand how he's come to this point, his overwhelming trial, his dreams in life. Readers are left to figure out Steve's guilt or innocence; Steve himself must grapple with who he is versus what others see him as. Though these questions are never explicitly asked, Myers' story encourages readers to consider how we view young, urban black men; how these perceptions are internalized; justice; how a life (potentially) derails. "Monster" is a quick read that will draw in reluctant readers with its mixed journal and screenplay-style narrative, but be warned: it not only entertains (because let's face it: it's just a darn good story), it also gets kids and teens to think.
Kid, 10 years old June 19, 2010

best book ever!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byPufferpuff September 5, 2009

I love it:) It makes me realize da true world.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypanda_bear13 April 9, 2008

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I have just barely started to read this book. it's right, it does make you have pity for Steve. i do want to continue reading this book. it seems good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysave_the_tigers! April 9, 2008

This book is AWESOME!!

I haven't even finished reading this book and I already think it's awesome! Everyone must read this book or they shall be sorry! It's packed with so many interesting comments and events. A definent page-turner!
Teen, 14 years old Written byANTONETTE April 9, 2008