All member reviews for Monster

Provocative book about teen on trial for murder.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLena Cantarell December 20, 2011

When You Pick It Up You Will Never Let It go

Hi Im A 15 Year Old Girl Name Selena And I Think This Book Can Be For 7th Grader's.
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2011

Awsome

I read this book in 6th grade in Mr.Hlavins class and i loved this book. One of the best books ever read!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bykhiid munch May 10, 2011

perfect for kids who have an not so good life you should read it

this isthe greatest book ever
Adult Written byJosieKiper April 7, 2011

Good, but not fully appropriate for younger teens.

It was a decently good book, but some of the side topics may not be age appropriate if you are under 14 or 15. Being as how the maturity level of teenagers has risen through out the years, 13 may be acceptable too. The amount of swearing is very low, although some words are a little bit rude or harsh. I personally think the book was pretty good, and I would reccomend it to someone between the ages of fourteen and twenty.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byallihamp March 8, 2011

i think the book was good it teaches you a lesson about robbing a store that its not a good idea
Teen, 15 years old Written bybend boots March 1, 2011

Adult Written byt.r.reader December 6, 2010

Such a shame to rate this as "iffy"

If there's an infrequent use of "mild to moderate" language and implicit or passing references to sexual activity, I'm unsure why this book would be rated so highly for sex and language. Violence? Of course violence is part of "Monster;" the story is about a young teenager on trial for aiding in a robbery which results in murder. I rate this as appropriate for ages 13 and up not for any "controversial content," but because Myer weaves such a complex story, following the protagonist, Steve, as he struggles to understand how he's come to this point, his overwhelming trial, his dreams in life. Readers are left to figure out Steve's guilt or innocence; Steve himself must grapple with who he is versus what others see him as. Though these questions are never explicitly asked, Myers' story encourages readers to consider how we view young, urban black men; how these perceptions are internalized; justice; how a life (potentially) derails. "Monster" is a quick read that will draw in reluctant readers with its mixed journal and screenplay-style narrative, but be warned: it not only entertains (because let's face it: it's just a darn good story), it also gets kids and teens to think.
Kid, 10 years old June 19, 2010

best book ever!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byPufferpuff September 5, 2009

I love it:) It makes me realize da true world.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywoodyactor May 21, 2009

this is an amazing bok i am thirteen and i lovedit

ok im not a reader as a matter of fact i realy hate reading but i am an actor iv been in over than 100 plays and i love it because it is like a script so im use to it and i love that i read almost 200 pages in a matter of 40 minutes i loved it it was a little sexual so i think 13 is the starting age to read this book all in all i loved it
Teen, 15 years old Written bycharmedone April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bypanda_bear13 April 9, 2008

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I have just barely started to read this book. it's right, it does make you have pity for Steve. i do want to continue reading this book. it seems good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysave_the_tigers! April 9, 2008

This book is AWESOME!!

I haven't even finished reading this book and I already think it's awesome! Everyone must read this book or they shall be sorry! It's packed with so many interesting comments and events. A definent page-turner!
Teen, 14 years old Written byANTONETTE April 9, 2008

a must read for peoplewho love suspense and drama

a lit action a little drama but a whole lot of suspense you can't miss