All member reviews for Monstrumologist

Gruesomely good gothic horror too violent for younger teens.

Kid, 11 years old May 28, 2013

A Classic (Although won the goriest book of the year award)

VIOLENCE: 10/10. Intense violence and strong gore. Monsters rip off human heads, scoop out their brains, and eat their insides. Broken and bloody limbs are displayed, and bloody walls are shown in a house. And the carnage doesn't stop there. A boat is under siege by monsters, where humans are gutted, torn apart, and skewered. A man describes how children are tossed to monsters in a pit, only to be gored and ripped open. A man's legs are ripped off, and a man is turned inside out. Monsters are stabbed, blown apart, and humans are attacked with bloody results. Autopsy is performed on a monster. A dead and scarred body of a girl is found at a cemetery. A mother's head is torn off, and her shoulders are dislocated. Guns are fired at monsters, sometimes striking them. Suspenseful/frightening moments throughout. Very gruesome, but a 9th grader should handle it. Not for kids. Very good story! 5 out of 5 stars!
Educator Written bykenlynnfaithsarah November 9, 2010

If nothing is scary enough, try this!

Booklist magazine said this might be the best horror novel of 2009, and I agree. The Monstrumologist is an amazing book, The horror begins in chapter one and does not stop until the end. It is marketed as a Young Adult novel, ages 14 and up, but I am reading it with a group of 7th and 8th grade students, Yancey does not hold back any detail, no matter how gory, so it is not for the easily grossed-out. The language and grammar are difficult, but my students have been eager to learn the unknown vocabulary, references to unfamilar people, and important concepts. It’s both challenging and creepy at the same time. On a scale of one to ten, I give it ten shrieks of fright. Read it....if you dare.
Adult Written byManieSansDelire June 28, 2011

The most scary novel in the Young Adult section

The thing that I liked best about this book was that it had violence- but well-explained violence. Though not a book for those with a small vocabulary (or no dictionary), for the experienced reader, this is a must-read horror story. The first in what is at least a trilogy, "The Monstrumologist" creates believable fear. I rated this book Pause for age 12. A friend of mine, of that age, loved this book, was able to understand it, and was not fazed by the violence- but I also wouldn't recommend this to some of my more squeamish adult friends. This book is not for those without a strong stomach! No expense is spared in describing the feasts of the headless Anthropophagi, but it seems to me that this is the only vice, violence. There is little sexual content; the only real sexual content is the prostitute that Kearns, Cory, or the Ripper, whichever guise he goes under at the moment, uses as bait for the Anthropophagi. In fact, her profession is only mentioned in passing, as Kearns' explanation for his actions- "She is only a woman of the streets." This book is one of the finest of its genre, referring both to its YA status and horror. With the rarest of devices, believable horror, this monster story makes one ask again if monsters are real. Yes, my dear child, monsters are real. I happen to have one hanging in my basement.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymathgirlie December 25, 2010

Horribly gory, but excellent!

"The Monstrumologist," while being without a doubt one of the goriest books I've ever read, is amazingly well-written and has strong characters. Will Henry is a child balancing between the metal state of a scared little boy who wants to be loyal to his fathers memory and stay with Dr. Warthrop (who he secretly is scared of and has thought of running away more than once), and an adult who is trying to help the community and putting his life on the line in the process. There is plot twist after gory plot twist, with the author certainly not skimping out on the bloody details! An amazing book that stays with your thoughts for days to come!
Teen, 13 years old Written byFinnick_is_smexy May 1, 2012

The Monstrumologis is EPIC!!!!!!

This is a good book that was fun to red. Though it had some pritty scary and sick parts it was all in all a good book. I am 13 right now andI read this book at the age of 12 I realy liked this book. I am trying to write a book that is almost as good as this one. I know there will never be a book better than The Monstrumologist.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byPachi22 November 28, 2010

perfect for teens

awesome book!!! the best monster book!!