All member reviews for Moon Over Manifest

Kid, 11 years old February 16, 2011

Great Story!

I highly enjoyed this. Once I got past the boring title and cover, I found this very enjoyable. Set in the Great Depression and WWI, Moon Over Manifest is educational on the lives of many people during the times. The main character, Abilene, is interesting and clever. I, personally, preferred the story being told by Miss Sadie. The transitions into Miss Sadie's stories were fluid, but the ones out of her stories were not quite as smooth. The story starts fairly slow, and I was originally reading this because my mom wanted me to. Once I got a fair ways into the story, however, I was reading it because I was interested in it. There is some violence, none of it especially graphic, however. At one point a man is stabbed, and another man blames it on a boy who gets knocked unconscious, and the boy goes through most of the story thinking he is the culprit. The same man who was the killer steps in a steel trap and falls backward, dying from a rock his head hits, but leaves his foot and boot behind. A main character dies at war, and many people die of the flu. Many important characters have to work in a mine which pays very little, and only in vouchers for the company store, which charges twice the regular cost. Finally, the members of the Ku Klux Klan burn a cross to warn some German miners having a meeting. I feel this story is best for strong readers eleven and up. While boys may like it, the main character is a girl, though the main characters in Miss Sadie's stories are boys.
Kid, 12 years old May 13, 2014

Meh...

I really did not like this book from start to finish. It has a confusing storyline, and like all stories should, there really isn't a problem, or climax in the book.
Kid, 11 years old June 16, 2011

The best book review of Moon Over Manifest

I think it's a very book just from hearing the summary right away I went and bought and plus it's only about 10.00 dollars. It's a good book, from my own reading to myself outloud I got a movie out of it, it should be made into a movie it would be a good movie for all ages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheBridge January 30, 2011

not at all age apropriate due to some love scenes
Kid, 11 years old September 16, 2012

Great Book

Moon over Manifest is at book. Although the story line was scattered and sort of confusing it was great. Abilene Tucker was abandoned by her father to live in this strange town called Manifest. There she gets all curious about her father and sets out to learn about her father. Doing that lands her in Miss Sadie's divining Parlor. This is the part where I think the story line got all scrambled. But it was still a great book.
Kid, 11 years old September 6, 2011

hazel's coment

it is a very good and wonderful book