All member reviews for Nation

Teen, 13 years old Written bynoveleater November 7, 2010

A fun read, but a little slow.

Wow. This book is a really interesting novel about surviving on a deserted island. An adult is murdered, by only a kid. (!!!!!!??????) A kid is shot at multiple times, and a boy drinks beer, which gets him pretty, darn sick! They make beer, and there is a scene where a lady is in labor and her baby is born with the help of a girl. There is drawings done by the boy showing a girl's chest. And then draws a picture of a boy with his lower waist showing. There is singing, and a giant wave nearly kills a man. The language is what you would expected on a deserted- island- plot- book, if you know what I mean. I wouldn't be too worried about young kids reading this, just as long as they aren't learning anything they haven't before, like the difference between a girl and a boy. There isn't blood, and your child would probably learn a few things, as a lady's modesty is a man's priority in this book, which is true. I liked this book, but the reason why I gave one less star, is because of the humor that isn't there. I have read other Terry Pratchet books and have loved them because of the humor, but this book was missing Terry's charm. See 'ya and enjoy!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilahcraig October 31, 2014

Nation

This book is about a boy who survives on a deserted island with few companions, and how he learns to create relationships with people he wouldn't normally hang out with. Terry Pratchett did a really good job portraying the emotions of mature young teens and getting you to feel their sensibilities as well. This book has a lot of positive messages, but there is some mature content that adds to the story.