All member reviews for Native Son

Gritty novel of violence and race best for older teens.

Teen, 17 years old Written byWes64 August 2, 2013

Important novel for any teenager

First, let me explain the "positive message". This book is the one that convinced me the death penalty is wrong. I think that this message is incredibly important. I do not really have much more to add because the site review has pretty much got it right, but I think that it is OK for younger audiences as well. The third book gets bogged down in judicial proceedings that might confuse younger readers, but with the right explanations I'd say it's fit for anyone. I disagree that it is for older teens, because the sooner people learn about racism, the sooner they can stand against it. Teenagers who are 15, 14 ,13... they can suffer from racism, so why not have them read about it, and understand it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJay0904 March 8, 2015

Summary

The book native son depicts an African American male who faces the troubles and trials of living in a white society being discriminated, looked at different, and viewed worse than others. Biggur makes many bad decision due to the fact of what would happen to him if he was seen with someone or being somewhere he shouldn't be. He must go through life brushing discrimination off his shoulders, and for a young male it would be a very difficult challenge.