All member reviews for North to Freedom

Hard to put down, and harder to forget.

Adult Written byreadinggirl April 9, 2008

Great Book

This book was a real gem, especially the references to David's prayers to God. There was virtually nothing wrong with it except some violence and a brief alcohol reference. I was very thought provoking as well!
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2011
I read this book not to long ago and it was pretty good. It was boring in the beggining then got better in the middle.
Teen, 13 years old Written byILoveReading765 November 19, 2010

So good!!

this is a good book but would be hard for younger kids to understand. if you want your child to get the full experance have them wait a few year.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydana m. April 9, 2008

okay if...

I did not read this book to anylize, but for a school assignment with pressing deadlines. I am sure that if I read it to critisize, I would have thouroghly enjoyed doing that. But for pure pleasure/booktalk, this is a fifty-fifty book. About half the people who read it will like it and about half won't. If you are the kind of person who is bored over survival stories where the author tries to keep you interested with emotional thoughts and descriptions (but doesn't do a very good job) about (yet again) children alone, than this is not the book for you. On the other hand, if you like books about children who have never lived in the outside world and are searching for their parents or parent, than this, I am sure, is a book you will like. But, I still must say (despite the fact that I did not, overall, like this book) it had a very touching ending.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophilepianist May 31, 2013

Amazing novel

Amazing novel with great life lessons to be learned. Of course, not everyone will "love" this book as much as I do, but ALL should read it. It is definitely a thinking book. Younger children may not understand it, but a must read for those 9+. It is not graphic, which I enjoyed. The subtle references to Psalm 23 are wonderful and the works of God are done in a non-cheesy way.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChristianHistoryFan June 28, 2012

My Favorite Book Of All Time

This is my favorite book of all time (except my Bible, of course). It is inspiring, and a unique POV of life itself. There is no content (most) parents would find inappropriate. Beautifully written. Kids need to know about WWII and the Holocaust so it won't happen again. This would be perfect for that. (It's set in post-WWII)
Kid, 11 years old December 4, 2009

I love this book! It's well writen, good length and this is my favorite book ever! My dad picked it out for me one time. It is really inspiring.
Adult Written byLilibeth July 16, 2009
I read this book when I was an eleven year old and I never forgot it. Today, as a grandmother, I bought the book for my grandson, and feel like it is just as relevant for his world. It's a 'thinking' book, a book for evaluating what is important in life, for learning to understand why people see things in a different way. For children who have grown up with everything, it is an introduction to the world as it has been and may well be again some day.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEEO April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byEO April 9, 2008

I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished reading "North to Freedom" this morning and loved it!! This is a great book!! It really makes you think because the some things we are used to and take for granted, David didn't know existed. We have so much and forget that many don't have anything. I saw the movie and even though I cried, if I was alone, I would have sobbed! It's such a touching book. God is watching over him all the way!
Adult Written bychuck6277 April 9, 2008

A much needed perspective

This novel's unique perspective is effective and much needed. Most stories of the Holocaust consider average people, young or old, and document the many changes in their lives. In this case, the main character knows nothing but life in the Concentration Camp. He has not been formally educated, purposefully nurtured, or introduced to politics, religion, or philosophy. The novel reveals yet another horror of the Holocaust: how Concentration Camps stripped children of childhood. This story forces the reader to consider the many kids who never knew anything but the inside of a Concentration Camp.
Adult Written byoneturner April 9, 2008