All member reviews for Nothing But the Truth: A Documentary Novel

Depicts high school with devastating accuracy.

Parent Written by1194801 December 8, 2011

communication

Parents need to keep OPEN COMMUNICATION REGARDING SCHOOL OF THEIR CHILDREN. Very important so children will know to come home and tell their experiences regarding their school day, no matter how mi nute it sounds
Teen, 15 years old Written bymarialeaschad February 9, 2009
Adult Written byamomtoo February 4, 2010

Wow!

Younger kids will probably not get the meaning of this book. How even stretching or not telling the whole truth can have devestating consequences. It's also a book about accepting responsibility for your own actions. I really enjoyed this book. I think it is a must read for middle school and up students. A good reminder for adults, too!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycatreviews March 16, 2012

2nd worst book I have ever read

We had to read this book in school. This is the WORST book I have every read. The plot is EXTREMELY boring - THERE IS NOTHING INTERESTING AT ALL. It seems like that this book has been written to increase children's approval of English teachers. IT ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT depict high school life with accuracy. High school life is much more advanced. DON'T READ IT!
Adult Written byLMom April 9, 2008

Avi gets me thinking

Just spent an hour on a panel discussing this book. Avi was present and the 7th and 8th graders in attendance really understood the characters and their challenges. We discussed how there are many views of the "truth". Many were upset at the treatment of Ms. Narwin although Avi said the students usually side with Phillip.
Teen, 15 years old Written byasdancer55 August 29, 2011

dont read waste of time!

This book is so boring dont read it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byiheartchocolate198 February 26, 2010

Good message, boring plot

This book is about being responsible for your actions. It shows how one small thing can lead to a nation-wide scandal. The book sends out a very positive message, but, personally, I thought it was extremely boring. The plot wasn't engrossing, the only reason I read ahead was to see if it got better. The student was very disrespectful toward the teacher and literature in general. Also, I thought that the idea of the book was genius, but the way it was expressed seemed stupid to me - I mean, all this because a boy was singing to the national anthem? Seems pathetic to me. Now, Avi is a great author, but I'd say this is far from his best book. I wouldn't recommend it if you were looking for an interesting book to read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byxxhehexx12 November 13, 2009

Best Book

I absolutely love this book. I read it all in one day because I couldnt but it done. I highly recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymissy09 October 18, 2009

Not the best book i ever read

i am an 8th grader and it was an okay book. it wasnt the best and the ending was really dumb but it was kin of funny. there are a few swear words and the student isnt very respectful
Teen, 13 years old Written byanonymousreader February 8, 2009

Nothing But The Truth: Nothing But The Worst Book Ever!

Although I am still young, I have read many pieces of great literature (The Oddessey, The Jungle, Animal Farm, and much more). This is not one of them. The characters are shallow, stupid, and corrupt. Maybe if you were eight you would like this book. However, I am not eight and I highly reccommend that you never ever read this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaliloop February 1, 2009

i liked it.

this book really shows you independence. and how 2 take up 4 urself.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjessicamorgan December 10, 2008

i loved it

my class and i just got done reading this novel today actually (i read a head i couldn't stand the suspense (: it is very age a appropriate this was by far the best book i have ever read the ending is also grate i would recommend this book for any ela teacher in the us i think the kids would love this book i did (:
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookluver101 April 9, 2008

A MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this book is so good i couldnt put it down it is written in a very unique way but it very fun 2 read and ur very satified at the end wit the way it turned out
Teen, 17 years old Written bygocrzy101 April 9, 2008

I didnt like this book

i read this book. and unless you are one of those people who like to be up on top of things then i wouldnt reccomend this book. had to read it at school. only reson i did and ever will.!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bydawgs1 October 24, 2010

Good for tweens.

The way it's written is sort of cunfusing, plus the ending will make you completely wish you hadn't read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytaylor theurer May 4, 2010

Great book

I love this book we read it in summer school and it is actually intresting!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy May 6, 2009

Spot-On, Insightful, and Brilliantly Written

Wow. That's all I can think to say. The book couldn't have ended with a better line, changing the entire rest of the novel for you on the spot. I also appreciate the way that the book is written, almost like Phillip's file. It consists of memos, conversations, and diary entries that give you the whole story of Philip's actions, the story that he himself can't even fully get. Philip Malloy is a bright kid, but he obviously has some sort of a disdain for literature. So, whil singing along to the national anthem one morning, his english teacher, Miss Narwin, sends him to the principal's office. Philip swears she has a grudge against him, and things elevate from there. Was Philip simply trying to be patriotic? Or was he intentionally pushing Ms. Narwin' buttons? Or was the case something completely different, something so simple, yet something to hide...