All member reviews for Of Thee I Sing

Educational, inspirational profiles of 13 American heroes.

Parent of a 4 year old Written bymama2D January 1, 2011

Reviews, not politics, please!

I don't think it's fair or informative for kjrutherford of Indiana to review this book because s/he hasn't read it. S/he says s/he's basing the opinion on a couple of negative reviews at amazon.com. I just checked amazon where the book has 86 5-star reviews, 6 4-star reviews, and 3 1-star reviews (and no 3 or 2-star reviews). In fact, kjrutherford is taking advantage of this review space to plug Lynn Cheney's books for kids. I think the "review", along with my critique of it, should both be removed to make way for comments from people who have actually read the book and have something constructive to say about it that would assist readers.
Parent Written byPitIggyMom February 25, 2011

Educator and Parent Written bykjrutherford December 27, 2010

Not interested after reading this and other site's reviews.

I was curious about this book, so I read the only review available on the CS website then I went to Amazon.com to read their reviews. I read the 2 negative reviews as I always do to determine identify any negatives or bias. Personally I wouldn't buy the book, but I disagree with "Borax" that buying books for your children written by "politicians" is weird. I have read 3 books written by Lynne Cheney for children and find them well-written, informative, beautifully illustrated and understandable at a variety of levels.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byBorax December 24, 2010

Greek myths have better moral lessons

What a tedious book. It's self-consciously earnest and worthy, and for most kids totally forgettable. Parents are buying this so they can mold their kids politics, not because it might inspire them or--God forbid--give them some pleasurable reading. We got this from a friend who is obsessed with making her kids into extensions of her own ideas. And no, this has nothing to do with my political views. I just don't know what kind of parent would give their kid a book by any politician. Weird.