Kid reviews for One of Us Is Lying

Dirty secrets abound in fun but intense high school mystery.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhonest.reviews August 2, 2017

The Best Book I've Ever Read

This book was a very, very good story. It had unique characters all with their own personalities. It was like a crime version of The Breakfast Club. Amazing all the way through and I would definitely recommend it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytropicalreviews January 28, 2018

Great Book- but not recommended for children under 14

I loved this book! There were so many twists, I never knew who to trust! This book is rich with detail and the whole book tied together really well in the end. Most kids say 13+ however, I would argue 15+. The age rating could vary based on different family's rules and restrictions. The book did include: mild violence-including descriptions of characters getting very angry, sex- going into full detail on a kiss and touching and talking about "hookups", drinking/drugs- underaged drinking, selling of drugs, positive role models- sticking up for eachother. PARENTS: if you are not sure about the age rating, just read it first, if it's not appropriate, then that's just another book for your enjoyment! :) Overall, great storyline! Would recommend!
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2018

Loved it!

I'm 12 and I definitely do not think this book is 14+! This book is amazing, some mature themes, but definitely okay for middle schoolers.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytiffany.07 August 15, 2017
Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks78 April 9, 2018

AMAZING

Was in a bookstore and a woman there recommended it to me so glad she did because it’s the best YA book I have read for a long time. Keeps you guessing the whole time and the ending is so surprising. Talks about issues such as homophobia, drugs, abusive relationships, bipolar disorder, alcoholic parents, and acidemic pressure. Toutches on so many important issues whilst being an overall amazing mystery!

Teen, 17 years old Written byTheBookNerd413 June 3, 2018

Completely insensitive and predictable

This book was interesting. It was pretty predictable, and did not handle mental illness well. While the story was interesting, it overall did not seem as serious as it should have been while handling this topic. There are lines that discuss school shootings in a completely insensitive way, in fact, one character believes it’s not “creative enough.” If you want a serious and well thought out book, read This is Where it Ends

Teen, 13 years old Written bystorm_150 February 14, 2018

zaddy

i think this is helping to kids

Teen, 13 years old Written byEdgyMcEdge February 22, 2018

Brilliant story, some adult topics

I like bed this book it was fantastic. Extremely interesting with an intricate story line and brilliant characters. I recommend it but it tackles some adult themes like alchohol, though it is usually quite subtle!

Teen, 14 years old Written byAnnabellexox March 23, 2018
Kid, 11 years old June 17, 2018

Inappropriate, but best book I've ever read

It was good, a few parts with inappropriate stuff, death, drugs, suicide, teens drinking, one of the characters gets abused by her boyfriend, some swearing; teens say f--k. Some of the characters are amazing role models though. It's my favorite book.

Kid, 12 years old April 12, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written bybook_lover1 December 2, 2018

REALLY GOOD!

The ending was predictable, but I LOVED IT! Best book I've read in a while, and I read like, a new book every day.

Teen, 14 years old Written byepiphanies October 19, 2018

Amazing book!

This book had me glued from start to finish, with a great twist that wraps the book up really well! Definitely recommend.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKatniss013 September 26, 2018

You won't put it down.

This book is very well written, and the constant suspense and tension means you'll keep turning the pages to find out what happens. The cliffhangers and multiple POVs make for a fascinating, fast-paced read, and there is a huge plot twist at the end. This book is perfect for fans of thrilling mystery YA novels, but both teens and adults will definitely love it.

Kid, 9 years old May 1, 2018

One of Us Is Lying

One of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus is about four teenagers who walk into detention with their classmate Simon. Before the end of detention, Simon is dead. No one saw anyone do anything to him, and all four of the students in the room at that time are suspects in Simon’s murder. Simon had also planned to release horrifying secrets about those four students on Tuesday on his notorious gossip app About That, which makes them even more likely suspects. An investigation is now ongoing. The book alternates between the points of view of each of the four main characters, with about two points of view highlighted in each chapter. This mystery had my fingers always clamped on to the next page. I finished this book in two sittings and refused to put it down until I finished. I would recommend this book to anyone who is 12+ at minimum, but I think the book is mostly appropriate for teens ages 14+ because of some violence, including a lot of social and online bullying, a fairly graphic description of a character dying, that’s pretty much it, the characters kiss, several have romantic relationships, and having sex is mentioned a couple times, the characters use most swear words that exist but infrequently, and there is some drinking/drugs/smoking but not an excessive amount. Overall, this is a great book that I recommend.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLMay662 January 12, 2019

Best books I’ve ever read!!!

Must buy !!! I’ve read a ton of books but this was by far the best. Such a gripping story with a shocking end.
Teen, 13 years old Written byitskat November 25, 2018

Amazing book!

I read this book when I was 11, which is a bit young for some of the topics. I enjoyed this book SO much. The plot was interesting and had a great ending. There was a lot of detail in kiss scenes and some swearing, and the characters aren't the best role models. The author did a great job of talking about issues. She talked about homophobia, pressure for good grades (for lack if better words) alcoholism, and other things.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysadlymarmar November 24, 2018
Teen, 16 years old Written byhoneysucklestars September 12, 2018

This book was great!

Okay so this book was very very good. Big plot twist, great read from start to finish. What parents or anyone needs to know: There are references to sex, as a lot of the rumors are she slept with him, etc and one of the main girls explains, not in detail to the sex, but in detail as to how romantic. There is a lot of references to drugs and drinking, as one dude is a drug dealer, etc. This book obviously has violence, as its about murder. It says stuff about school shootings, and suicide. That is just a warning to someone who might want it. Now, this book is absolutely amazing. major plot twist. This is now probably one of my favourite books.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAyesha10 September 11, 2018

An amazing book

This is truely an amazing book with many twists and turns