All member reviews for Out of the Dust

A penetrating look at a poor child's life.

Parent Written bysexy_monkey July 29, 2012

stupid monk3ys everywhere

bad it gave me nightmares. the person who wrote this is a stupid monkey
Teen, 14 years old Written byyolo_b#*@% July 29, 2012

poopitypoop

the person who rote is a stupid monkey,.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBookpro101 July 25, 2012

Don't be fooled!

Horrible. Just horrible. Please don't waste your time with this. Don't be fooled by what other people say! This book contains graphic violence, drinking, giving birth and more. If you are a parent please DO NOT give this book to your child. I cannot stress this enough!!!
Adult Written byhobotoboyobo July 25, 2012

Reviewing person

Inappropriate for people under the age of 18
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoneyrocks97 October 11, 2011

DISSAPOINTING!

To read this book was not very fun. You would never think that in a kids book that the mom would die and the brother and it was practically Billie Jo's fault.
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

AWESOME BOOK!!!!!!

This book is historical fiction and it has alot of facts about how hard it was living during the terrible times of the dust storm, it is very well written and while reading it i got very emotinal and i like the way it was free verse also it was very interesting to learn all the different emotions billie jo was feeling during this time era!!! i totally recormend it
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2011

Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2011

My oppion on to recimend this book for your son or daughter

i think that it was an ok, it is really weird and you need to really read it to get it and if u like a book about a girl and what she goes through and her feelings, then you will really enjoy this book. My Summary: It is about Billie Jo and how her life takes a toll when her best friend moves away and her mom dies, from the birth of her little brother Franklin. And her dad is to blame for the fire that burned her mother also nearly killing her. You see Billie Jo loves to play piano and when her mother dies, her depression makes that hard. I thought her life couldnt get any worse, but it does, her dad gets cancer and is dying. Billie Jo' solusion was to run away because her dad no longer talked or looked at her. When she on the train west, she meets a nice man who is running away also because he cant feed his family. When Billie Jo takes a nap and wakes up her food is gone but a picture of his family is under her. She then relizes that she cant leave her dad, so goes back... you will have to read what happens next. I think that i would recamend this book for your child because i actually learned from it, i learned that you cant run away from your life u can only try to make it better, so yes i would have your child read this!!! :) but this is the only down sider, it is kind of violent and some things are bad role models but you do learn from their mistakes and you learn not to do those things.
Adult Written bydylandog July 8, 2010

Read Out Of The Dust!!

This book was amazing it really inspired me. I think this book is a great read because the story is well written and the plot is very simple it's not like the Da Vinchi Code. Karen Hesse is such a great author. YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK
Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2010

This movie takes place in Oaklahoma. And this book is about a girl named Billie Joe who lives with her mother who is having a second child. And Billie Joe also is living with her father. Billie Joe's family is dealing with the duststorms. But one day when the duststorm hits it ruins Billie Joe's dad's crops. He looses his job. But when life is harsh in Oaklahoma Billie Joe plays songs. I think Karen Hesse is a great author. Because I red a lot of her books. And there all very well written. But Out of The Dust is my favorite book written by her because the story is amazing And it's fun learning about the charectors in the book.
Teen, 17 years old Written byReanRossier April 21, 2010

GREAT

I love this movie. I spent 2 hours reading this book. This book is about a girl named Billie Joe and the book is about her hard and harsh life in the dust storms in Oaklahoma. Karen Hesse ( the author) writes a great story about a young girl. This book will make you want to read it agian and agian
Kid, 11 years old June 16, 2009

Out of the dust

this book is great for childeren in the age of 8-120

I Loved This!!!

I don't understand why people did not enjoy this book because it had to be one of the best books I have ever read! The author's technique was very attractive, easy to read, and unique. I cannot wait to read another book by Karen Hesse.