A penetrating look at a poor child's life.

Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2011
Kid, 12 years old March 31, 2011

perfect for that age group of 9&up

Teen, 17 years old Written byalexander555 June 17, 2015

Best book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so descriptive!!!!! OMG... 100000000000000000000000000000000 out of 10

Read for school book
Educator and Parent Written bymomfizz February 2, 2015

I agree not for kids or anyone depressed!!!!

If you are NOT depressed (plus have time to mourn because you will become so) and can read through the selections and find the ones about the dust storms, FINE! Copy them or read them to class; but please don't just give the whole book to a class of kids to process on their own!! Anyone younger that 12 will struggle with fear and anxiety that this produces. Anyone between 13 and 20 will be struggling enough to process the emotions coming in at them from every angle. There is no sense adding a book with an accident that is far from happening in the average "dust bowl family" and totally unnecessary to understand the Depression or the Dust bowl.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2014

Great book

It talks about the Dust Bowl and it is a great book, but I say the sad part is when Billie Jo tosses the pail and sets her mother on fire, and she dies with her baby.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer321 February 17, 2014

Out of the Dust

This was a good book, but it was very sad and violent. The mother in this book dies when her daughter throws kerosene on her (It was an accident). This is just a small part of the violence; there is more. Overall a good book though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywolf2000 November 13, 2013

why i think....

it is an amazing and inspiring book i as a 13 year old girl really enjoyed it it has no sex, drugs or swear words (spoiler alert) but it does have drinking and a charictor does get drunk but it is a sad book with a bad turn of events but as well as the bad there is also some good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiles12345677A. August 3, 2013

good book

disturbing
Kid, 8 years old June 20, 2013

Billy Joe's point of view

I think it is a bit sad when her mother dies along with her baby brother.And it is a bit violent when the Dust Bowl starts.But the story has an amazing moral and is written in the diary form of a 10 year old.
Kid, 11 years old September 25, 2012

Out of the Dust

The book is a giant collection of poems. I liked it but not a lot. It was still a good book. Some parts were disgusting-like mud coming out of his nose- I would recommend it if you can't ever find a good book
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2011

My oppion on to recimend this book for your son or daughter

i think that it was an ok, it is really weird and you need to really read it to get it and if u like a book about a girl and what she goes through and her feelings, then you will really enjoy this book. My Summary: It is about Billie Jo and how her life takes a toll when her best friend moves away and her mom dies, from the birth of her little brother Franklin. And her dad is to blame for the fire that burned her mother also nearly killing her. You see Billie Jo loves to play piano and when her mother dies, her depression makes that hard. I thought her life couldnt get any worse, but it does, her dad gets cancer and is dying. Billie Jo' solusion was to run away because her dad no longer talked or looked at her. When she on the train west, she meets a nice man who is running away also because he cant feed his family. When Billie Jo takes a nap and wakes up her food is gone but a picture of his family is under her. She then relizes that she cant leave her dad, so goes back... you will have to read what happens next. I think that i would recamend this book for your child because i actually learned from it, i learned that you cant run away from your life u can only try to make it better, so yes i would have your child read this!!! :) but this is the only down sider, it is kind of violent and some things are bad role models but you do learn from their mistakes and you learn not to do those things.
Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2010
This movie takes place in Oaklahoma. And this book is about a girl named Billie Joe who lives with her mother who is having a second child. And Billie Joe also is living with her father. Billie Joe's family is dealing with the duststorms. But one day when the duststorm hits it ruins Billie Joe's dad's crops. He looses his job. But when life is harsh in Oaklahoma Billie Joe plays songs. I think Karen Hesse is a great author. Because I red a lot of her books. And there all very well written. But Out of The Dust is my favorite book written by her because the story is amazing And it's fun learning about the charectors in the book.
Kid, 11 years old June 16, 2009