Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Peter and the Starcatchers

A swashbuckling high-seas adventure.

Adult Written byPuppeteergirl July 27, 2011

Worried about this book?

I really enjoy this series! I read it to my brothers and they beg me to continue when its time to stop. The only thing that bothers me about this series is the sneaky (and completely unnecessary) sexual content. Nothing horrid, but enough to make me purposefully skip certain sentences. For instance, one character's governess flirts and possibly has a sexual relationship with one of the villains (implied), and the mermaids look like naked women from the waist up (they have long hair that supposedly covers them). Some other stuff I didn't think necessary to skip: a mermaid saves Peter from drowning and gives him CPR and in his dazed state he thinks its a kiss (pretty silly actually)- a pirate captain has a special sail made that is shaped like a corset (image included in the book). I definitely recommend this series, but read it yourself first, so you can choose to skip stuff or not. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good, but nobody's perfect, even the heroes.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byzapfam May 30, 2009

Best Peter Pan Story Ever

This has got to be the best story ever....other than the two that follow it..Its based off the Disney Peter Pan cartoon really. And is a Disney Book actually. It gives you all about how Peter and the lost boys came to the island and how it got its 'neverland' name. Everything has a start and I loved the rendition of the mermaids starting as fish, how Peter became able to fly, the infamous Crocodile, and tink! I really hope that a director with abilities to capture the essence of books, makes these three stories into a movie or better yet a television series!
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byTheauerbachfamily December 25, 2010

Creative. Some of the twisted innuendoes were over her head, but we thought it was great.

I love how it tells the story of Peter before he became Peter pan. This is the biggest book my daughter read and she couldn't put it down.
Adult Written byhelenessister April 9, 2008

We haven't had this much fun in a long time

I read this book aloud to my two children (8 and 11). The chapters are short and fast paced. Each night we would read two or three chapters before bed. (with a lot of begging for more) The characters are well developed and the pirate dialect is fun to read aloud. We were all laughing out loud. Some times the action was so exciting I couldn't get the words out fast enough. We enjoyed trying to figure out, as we were reading how it was connecting to Peter Pan. We were sad when it came to an end. We miss the characters . . . the good ones and the bad ones!
Adult Written byluckey April 9, 2008

Great Adventure

I bought the audio book for this one. I listened to it first, and then later my two boys (7 and 9) listened on the last road trip. They didn't want to get out of the car and every time we got in the car they wanted to listen to more. that should speak for its self, 7 and half hours of listening. It sure helped pass the time in the car.
Adult Written bycalla.lilly April 9, 2008

Amazingly good stuff!!

You always worry about books like these. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's well written. The story picks up quickly and holds your interest. All those questions we had as kids reading Peter Pan are finally answered! The slightly questionable material IMO isn't really an issue. The naked mermaid isn't described, and it was from the point of view of a shocked young boy. It's a pirate book....of course they are drinking....they are the bad guys. Sword fighting...again...pirates... And yes he gets his hand chopped off. We knew that was gonna happen, how else would he become Cap'n Hook?!?! All of that is done in the least graphic way possible. I was really impressed! I definitely reccommend these books!
Adult Written by1froggy1 June 1, 2015

Great Plot line!

I love this book, I have read it and I think that there are some limits because of the rum and other such drugs, but other than that it is a great story.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 11, 2011
Read this to my son when he was 8, and he was suitably enthralled. My then-5-year-old-daughter had little interest, though there is a good female lead to engage girls. Barry and Pearson spin a decent adventure yarn, with believable characters and just enough comedy and action to keep things moving without being gratuitous. Here and there, they put in tidbits that allude to the Peter Pan mythology that seem more distracting than prescient. There's some implied violence and broad double entendres, but nothing particularly inappropriate. Overall, a solid read for 8 and up.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written bypebchristian March 23, 2010

A great adventure story

I thouroughly enjoyed Peter and the Starcatchers. It involves fairies, pirates, wild savages. It was a classic adventure story. A really great adventure story.

Adult Written byLiamGlancey May 6, 2009

Not your father's Peter Pan.

There is a certain magic to the original Peter stories because they are, well, magical. Fairies and magic are accepted as real and J. M. Barrie makes no excuses for that. The entire point of this story is that, rather than taking it on faith that these things exist, their origins need to be explained. Not only did this take the fun out of the story but it also left room to catch the abundant spelling and grammatical mistakes. If it had been anything BUT a Peter Pan story I probably would have liked it more. As it is, I feel the two 'versions' clash a bit.
Adult Written byerererer April 9, 2008