All member reviews for Peter and the Starcatchers

A swashbuckling high-seas adventure.

Adult Written byhelenessister April 9, 2008

We haven't had this much fun in a long time

I read this book aloud to my two children (8 and 11). The chapters are short and fast paced. Each night we would read two or three chapters before bed. (with a lot of begging for more) The characters are well developed and the pirate dialect is fun to read aloud. We were all laughing out loud. Some times the action was so exciting I couldn't get the words out fast enough. We enjoyed trying to figure out, as we were reading how it was connecting to Peter Pan. We were sad when it came to an end. We miss the characters . . . the good ones and the bad ones!

Teen, 15 years old Written byFairyturf April 9, 2008

Must Read!!

This book was phenomenal!!! i loved it. I read the first book and it blew me away! it took me two days to read this book and it is now my favorite book along with the 1st book. I would go up to watch TV and i would run back downstairs to read. thats all i would do but anyways, i hope dave and Peter keep writing books! i can't wait for another book to come out! =) over all.....I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

finally! a good fanatasy!!!

fanatasy lovers look no more! a non-plagairistic book is here! though it is claimed a sequel to peter pan, the book has a few added touches! it is rare these days to find a really, and i mean REALLY good fanatasy, with REAL characters. i honestly couldnt put it down. though before you read it to your kids i would be careful, there is some violence, and some sexual content. its a great story, so what i did when reading it to my brother was i skipped those parts, since they really werent needed. one of the best ever!
Teen, 14 years old Written bygilly_boy January 6, 2012

Cool, the origin of Peter Pan.

I'm a big Peter Pan fan, when I saw this, I couldn't wait to read it. I've read the whole series and even the new "The Bridge to Neverland" also written by them as the not really sequel but still has Peter. Although there is the issue of the age. I one time read that he is seven days old or the same age as Wendy but this book thinks he is about fourteen. So the age of Peter is kind of difficult to grasp, including how he looks. In this book, they actually tell you what he looks like or at least what most people think he looks like. Plus they tell you how Mrs. Darling got that kiss on the right hand corner of her mocking mouth and why Mr. Darling doesn't like Peter (in the series at least). If you read the book, it explains a lot of why things happen in "Peter and Wendy" or "Peter Pan." Here's one thing I don't understand about the book, the title always has the letters PS. Why PS is there a hidden note or message in the book or something?
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoogle April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bydolphindreamer April 9, 2008

A great twist on Peter Pan!

I personally like this book better than the original Peter Pan story. Its exciting and kids 9+ will love it. Its also a real page turner!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCountry Girl4571 April 9, 2008

Its a pirates life for me

I loved this book. The moment you opened the page action and adventure started...I got soooo into it I didnt want to ever out it down. I would recommend this book to grades 7 and up. It takes a lil while to read but its a great and action packed book....it does have the pirates drinking a lil but we all no thats normal for them. But over all I would totally recommend that you read this book and soon!!!!
Adult Written byerererer April 9, 2008

I cried I laughed

I love this book!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bytintin_in_arcata April 9, 2008

Dave Barry?

you'd think that Dave Barry (or anyone) would screw up a prequel to Peter Pan, but this book is actually quite wonderful. Dave Barry does sneak some iffy things in there every so often, but I think Ridley Pearson kept things under control. This is an adventurous read, filled with action, humor, and well developed characters. I actually think that it is better than the official Sequel to Peter Pan (Peter Pan in Scarlet). 5 stars from me!
Kid, 6 years old February 25, 2012

Great adventure helps develop love of books

I agree with other reviewers that there is quite a lot of violence, and some scary situations that aren't for every kid/family -- however, my son loved the adventure and couldn't wait for the next installment (we read to him every night). The vocabulary, syntax, complex story line -- all have been a treat for a child who loves a good tale. This is one of the first "chapter books" without a ton of pictures that my son has shown any interest in. If you're interested in helping your child develop a love of books, and they can handle some of the suspense of a more mature story line, then I would recommend Peter and the Starcathers (we're off to get the next one!)

A must read for all Peter Pan Lovers!

THis book was an absolute AMAZING prequel to the world-renowned Peter Pan! I absolutly couldn't put it down. Suprisingly, when I read Peter Pan afterwords, this book was able to answer many of my questions about the book. THank You Dave Barry!
Adult Written byluckey April 9, 2008

Great Adventure

I bought the audio book for this one. I listened to it first, and then later my two boys (7 and 9) listened on the last road trip. They didn't want to get out of the car and every time we got in the car they wanted to listen to more. that should speak for its self, 7 and half hours of listening. It sure helped pass the time in the car.
Teen, 14 years old Written byasgman2000@aol.com April 9, 2008

Not bad!

Peter and the Starcatchers is a fun summer read. It's filled with action, adventure, and a few good laughs. This book is one of those books that you know is weird, but it's still fun too read.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

I guess I'm just too old

I was really disappointed with this book. I loved Peter Pan and its sort of poetic, never-stop style of writing that Barry was able to do. It was sort of like a child telling someone about an adventure. This book is written in the style that some adults seem to think that kids will find easy to read. I found it boring and bereft of the power Peter Pan had to make a person believe in the story. Peter Pan made me feel like a little kid. Peter and the Starcatchers was just a book.

I was AMAZED!!!!!

Peter and the starcatches is a very good book. It talks about how Peter and Molly search an island looking for starstuff. They fight off an evil captain named Black Stache, an angry mob of Savages, Capatain Slank, and a very angry Crocodile. This book will surprise you. It is full of mystierious, adventour and MORE!!!!!!!!!!! I think you would love this book
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008