All member reviews for Peter and the Starcatchers

A swashbuckling high-seas adventure.

Age

Teen, 13 years old Written bySelenaGomezfan110 November 9, 2010

Why I rated this Iffy for ages 9-10

Peter is DEFINETLY NOT a good role model. He killed Mermaids!!!!! I think so, anyway, either that or he just hurt them. I can't remember. and there is some innuendo, like: 'he kissed a mermaid who was naked from the waist up'. and some cussing like He__ , D--n, and the like.And a little too much violence for littler kids. anyway, its a pretty good book, and it's not terribly Innapropriate; nothing explicit.
Adult Written byPuppeteergirl July 27, 2011

Worried about this book?

I really enjoy this series! I read it to my brothers and they beg me to continue when its time to stop. The only thing that bothers me about this series is the sneaky (and completely unnecessary) sexual content. Nothing horrid, but enough to make me purposefully skip certain sentences. For instance, one character's governess flirts and possibly has a sexual relationship with one of the villains (implied), and the mermaids look like naked women from the waist up (they have long hair that supposedly covers them). Some other stuff I didn't think necessary to skip: a mermaid saves Peter from drowning and gives him CPR and in his dazed state he thinks its a kiss (pretty silly actually)- a pirate captain has a special sail made that is shaped like a corset (image included in the book). I definitely recommend this series, but read it yourself first, so you can choose to skip stuff or not. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good, but nobody's perfect, even the heroes.
Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2010

i have always loved all of these books! the only thing dissapointing was the end of the 3rd one!
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byzapfam May 30, 2009

Best Peter Pan Story Ever

This has got to be the best story ever....other than the two that follow it..Its based off the Disney Peter Pan cartoon really. And is a Disney Book actually. It gives you all about how Peter and the lost boys came to the island and how it got its 'neverland' name. Everything has a start and I loved the rendition of the mermaids starting as fish, how Peter became able to fly, the infamous Crocodile, and tink! I really hope that a director with abilities to capture the essence of books, makes these three stories into a movie or better yet a television series!
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byTheauerbachfamily December 25, 2010

Creative. Some of the twisted innuendoes were over her head, but we thought it was great.

I love how it tells the story of Peter before he became Peter pan. This is the biggest book my daughter read and she couldn't put it down.
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2010

awesomeee boook!!!!!!! i love itt .its very intereestingg.. you get glued to the book after the 3rd chapter :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byRicochet94 June 6, 2010

Ripping good yarn.

While not exactly true to it's source material, it's a page-turning read that will keep you up long past midnight. Think 'Harry Potter' meets 'Pirates of the Carribean'. Although surpringly violent for it's intended audience.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookworm12345511 October 7, 2009

i love these books

i really like these books i love books with peterpan as a kid my favorite storys werent about princess like other girls i loved peter pan so maybe i mwierd that way but i dont care anyway i love these books it brings a new idea to the story of peter pan
Adult Written byhelenessister April 9, 2008

We haven't had this much fun in a long time

I read this book aloud to my two children (8 and 11). The chapters are short and fast paced. Each night we would read two or three chapters before bed. (with a lot of begging for more) The characters are well developed and the pirate dialect is fun to read aloud. We were all laughing out loud. Some times the action was so exciting I couldn't get the words out fast enough. We enjoyed trying to figure out, as we were reading how it was connecting to Peter Pan. We were sad when it came to an end. We miss the characters . . . the good ones and the bad ones!
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008

I cried I laughed

I love this book!!!
Adult Written by1froggy1 June 1, 2015

Great Plot line!

I love this book, I have read it and I think that there are some limits because of the rum and other such drugs, but other than that it is a great story.
Teen, 17 years old Written byUuuuuuuuuuuuuu September 30, 2013

Wow

Peter and four other orphans are taken aboard a rickety old ship, the Never Land, to be delivered as servants to the evil king of Rundoon. Also on board the ship is Molly, daughter of the British Ambassador to Rundoon, and a mysterious trunk filled with a special treasure. The feared pirate Captain Black Stache knows there's a valuable treasure on board, though he doesn't know what it is. Peter befriends Molly and finds out that she and her father are Starcatchers, members of a centuries-old secret society that protects humanity by making sure that evil people don't get their hands on starstuff, magical material that falls from the stars and changes the nature of everything it touches. Through storm, treachery, and shipwreck, Peter, Molly, and the boys end up on an island with the treasure, the pirates, fierce natives, the villainous first mate of the Never Land, mermaids created by the starstuff, and a giant crocodile. While Peter and Molly try to get the starstuff for the Starcatchers, everyone else is battling to get it for themselves.
Kid, 6 years old February 25, 2012

Great adventure helps develop love of books

I agree with other reviewers that there is quite a lot of violence, and some scary situations that aren't for every kid/family -- however, my son loved the adventure and couldn't wait for the next installment (we read to him every night). The vocabulary, syntax, complex story line -- all have been a treat for a child who loves a good tale. This is one of the first "chapter books" without a ton of pictures that my son has shown any interest in. If you're interested in helping your child develop a love of books, and they can handle some of the suspense of a more mature story line, then I would recommend Peter and the Starcathers (we're off to get the next one!)
Teen, 14 years old Written bygilly_boy January 6, 2012

Cool, the origin of Peter Pan.

I'm a big Peter Pan fan, when I saw this, I couldn't wait to read it. I've read the whole series and even the new "The Bridge to Neverland" also written by them as the not really sequel but still has Peter. Although there is the issue of the age. I one time read that he is seven days old or the same age as Wendy but this book thinks he is about fourteen. So the age of Peter is kind of difficult to grasp, including how he looks. In this book, they actually tell you what he looks like or at least what most people think he looks like. Plus they tell you how Mrs. Darling got that kiss on the right hand corner of her mocking mouth and why Mr. Darling doesn't like Peter (in the series at least). If you read the book, it explains a lot of why things happen in "Peter and Wendy" or "Peter Pan." Here's one thing I don't understand about the book, the title always has the letters PS. Why PS is there a hidden note or message in the book or something?
Kid, 11 years old March 14, 2011

amazing book!

this is an amazing book.it tells the story of the classic character "peter pan" before he became the lost boy that so many movies and books are based off of. in the begining he was just an orphan on a ship, if all had gone as planed he would have just been an ignored sevant to an evil king. but things did not go as planned and desteny took peter for a wild ride! there are only a few reasons why i rated this book ages nine and up. number one charaters get into situations that younger children would not understand the importance of. characters also make desicions that would be confusing for young readers . thre are also some mildly scary characters in this novel that include: captian hook ( of course), lord umbra, the shadow thieves, and many more sinister power hungry villians who are all after one thing ;stardust i wont tell you any more about the stuff for fear of ruining the book. the other reason i rated this book nine+ was they use a very wide range of vocabulary though i enjoy long descriptive words lots of kids even my age (12) dont know what they mean, this is a really good book for teens and pre teens even if they just sart reading it for a book report and don't think they'll like it, by the end they'll be dying to read the sequal. this book keept me busy and i ws upset when the series ended becuse i wanted to read more! i have never met any one who didn't like this book adn i hope who ever is reading this will not e the first!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCzechRepGirl March 2, 2011

Peter Pan VS. Peter and The Star Catchers.

I am a very strong Peter fan, and find this book very good, though has room to improve. in the original they say "My parents were planning my growing up so I ran away and never will grow up." not that he was an orphin. other than that and a few bothersome things, I loved it. I am using it for a program to help 7th graders read at a faster and deeper level.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 11, 2011

Read this to my son when he was 8, and he was suitably enthralled. My then-5-year-old-daughter had little interest, though there is a good female lead to engage girls. Barry and Pearson spin a decent adventure yarn, with believable characters and just enough comedy and action to keep things moving without being gratuitous. Here and there, they put in tidbits that allude to the Peter Pan mythology that seem more distracting than prescient. There's some implied violence and broad double entendres, but nothing particularly inappropriate. Overall, a solid read for 8 and up.
Kid, 11 years old August 18, 2010

it was a great book.there is fighting,but its pirate stuff.the mermaid is naked from the waist up,but it was not detailed.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written bypebchristian March 23, 2010

A great adventure story

I thouroughly enjoyed Peter and the Starcatchers. It involves fairies, pirates, wild savages. It was a classic adventure story. A really great adventure story.