All member reviews for Pretty Little Liars #1

Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2011

AWESOME!!!

This book is great!!!! Im only 11 and finished the first book in this series within 2 days! I think its fine for anyone 10 and up or in sixth grade and up. It only has kissing, really. And any adults who dont think their 10 and 11 yr old kids dont know a thing about this kind of stuff, your probably wrong. We DO have health class, FYI!!!! But the girls do somebad things, and i highly doubt anybody would look up to them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLivi2121 September 15, 2009

Just fine for tweens!

Loved It - and so will your teenager!
Teen, 14 years old Written byFutureMrs.JohnnyDepp August 7, 2009

Fine for 13+

I loved this book and all of the others in the Pretty Little Liars series I read them all very quickly. They may have a lot of bad things, but nothing that a 13 year old wouldn't already know about. I enjoy the mysteries and drama and how everything is weaved together in this series.
Kid, 11 years old October 31, 2010

11+

This is an awesome book. It teaches people to be yourself and what comes around goes around. Plus, the plot is genius!
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2009

Perfect if you're older and love mysteries.

This book was an addiction I couldnt settle. Just waiting for the next book tugged at my heartstrings. Although the books were amazingly written and crafted, there were many things that shouldnt be read by children. There is sex, drinking, violence, bad choices, and bad messages. But I just cant pry away from the page turner.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLetchen April 13, 2010

Obviously, you're not going to use the characters in this book as role models. There's a little bit of everything--eating disorders, sexuality, cursing, violence, drinking, and sex, but in all, it's entertaining. I really enjoyed reading this book and didn't find it as shallow as other teenage books. It was a little creepy, with Alison's disappearance and the messages that are popping up everywhere, but it added an edge to the story. The characters are all a little extreme, in my opinion, but that makes the story interesting. I say read it if you're looking to relax but to also get a little something from it. It's a little mature, but I wouldn't say 15 and up. We all know about this stuff anyway.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypretty little liar April 23, 2009

i loved it, it's the best book ever

pretty little liars are the best novels ever, i wish they would make them int o a movie series
Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2014

Just a bunch of stereotypical rich kids behaving badly

I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of this first book. It was basically just a bunch of rich kids drinking and swearing and doing sexy stuff. But once you get through the first book, you'll find that the rest of the series is quite good, so it's worth it. Or if you don't want to sit through it, you can just watch the show, which is like, 10x better.
Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2014

Ten and up kids

THis is a really great book. I read it and I'm ten. I was a little scared by books 12+ because it gets more violent then but this should be allowed to be read by kids 10+. I loved the suspense and mystery. The TV show is bad though. No watching it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylipglosschaos September 4, 2010

A Perfect Wake-Up Call

There's absolutely no problem with this book. Any kid aged over 15 understands that just because they read a book where they do bad things, doesn't mean they should do it. Just because a book isn't completely G rated doesn't mean that teenagers can't understand. Because they befriended this Queen-Bee Alison, they were caught up in this. It is BECAUSE they drink, do drugs, smoke, hook up with teachers, etc. that they are in this mess. When I read this, a lot of what goes through my mind is "Huh. Wow. I definitely shouldn't make out with my English teachers then." And her friend having gone missing... well that actually happens in real life. You can't pretend that a 15 year old doesn't understand that it's a dangerous world out there. Giving her kiddy books that make the world look like sunshine and rainbows is only going to make her an idiot.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylgirlrocks July 6, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written bytiedye365 May 4, 2010

anyone younger than 13 shouldn't read this.

pretty little liars... one of the BEST series EVER!! ?
Teen, 16 years old Written bycelenalala August 24, 2009

Perfectly Fine Book - Recommended For Teens

I understand what people are saying about the violence, etc, but you will find that in most teen books, television, and even the real world. I don't see why teenagers wouldn't be mature enough to understand it. Also, when they speak of bulimia and shoplifting, it is addressed that it is the wrong thing to do. These girls are obviously not role models because they do bad things and recieve consequences. No teenager would read this and think that they want to do these things too. For instance, Spencer plagiarizes her sister's essay and she gets in major trouble. She is humiliated and her parents nearly disown her. This book isn't any worse than the other things out there.
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2015

While I was reading this book, I noticed not too much kissing and stuff as it says on this site. There was a scene when a girl half stripped in front of a guy, but nothing much happened after that. There were also passionate kisses. There were a couple of mentions of people under 18 smoking and drinking. This book should be okay for people 13 and under, as long as they are mature and know what is right from wrong.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIlovebooks331 June 18, 2015

As long as your mature enough, you should know that the behavior in this book shouldn't be looked up to.

I found this book to be a guilty-pleasure type novel. I'm mostly reading it for the mystery part, it was pretty enjoyable. And like I said in the title, behavior in this book shouldn't be looked up too, so it does have educational value on what you SHOULDN'T do. However there is A LOT of swearing in this book. But I've read most of the series, and it gets milder as it progresses. There is also smoking, and even more consumerism. There is also a lot of sexual stuff, and there is a part where 2 girls flash a boy in the mall.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 3, 2015

Good book for early and late teens

Teen, 14 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 February 23, 2014

Awesome!

I read this book when I was 13 and am still continuing the rest of the series. I love it! Sure it doesn't set a good example, but thats what makes it interesting. My friends and I just can't get enough of this awesomeness!
Kid, 10 years old December 5, 2013

Great!!!

These are great books but parents might want to be wary about the story behind it all. Basically (as it says above) four friends are being stalked by an anonymous source which goes by 'A'. Lots of people have boyfriends and there is quite a bit of kissing and a tad bit of sex.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZahryia October 21, 2013

Pretty Little Liars book review by 8th grade girl.

This book is really good I have read this book and the five following books .This books is about the struggles these young not so innocent girls have to go through . They have to go through losing a member , having a guilty conscious of something bad they ALL did , and getting these messages (from someone they don't know ) that if they don't listen to what the message says they or someone they love could end up DEADor very hurt . These girls are not the girls you want walking down our halls, they might have a pretty face but whats on the inside not so pretty at all. Through out this book these girls are trying to wipe their slate clean , but will this mystery person -A let them , or make the suffer for the rest of their life's ?
Teen, 15 years old Written bybluegiraffe66 September 30, 2013

not okay fo anyone under 15 or 16

this was a very provocative and inappropriate book. I had to put it down (even though my eyes were glued to the page) because it was way disturbing.