All member reviews for Pride and Prejudice

Masterpiece of romance and manners entertains at any age.

Teen, 14 years old Written byelectric ella August 13, 2012

A compelling classic that will delight any taste in literature

I think that mature readers of age 13 and up should enjoy this. It is a light-hearted story that took me a while to read, but it is worth it. Jane Austen is an amazing writer and some of the issues brought up in the book are still relevant today, which is a great thing to discuss with your family. I read this along with my mum, so we could ask each other questions along the way. I suggest this if your child is reading Pride and Prejudice as his/her first classic novel, because the style is very different to that of a modern story. The characters are fantastic! From vapid Mrs. Bennet and her four very different daughters to the brooding Mr. Darcy. When Lydia, the youngest daughter, runs away with her lover Wickham, it is seen as a complete scandal. Obviously in our society today, that wouldn't be such a terrible thing and it brings up another good discussion point: how etiquette and what is right and wrong has changed over the past years. If you enjoyed this book, I would suggest reading the parody, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", but I would only reccommend this to very mature readers of 14 and up. Thanks for reading my review: please rate it because I love hearing what you think!
Teen, 15 years old Written byPride and Prejudice April 13, 2013

Must Read!

This is one of my favorite books of all time! It can be tricky to understand because of the old language at times, so I'd recommend watching the movie first if you start getting confused. It's a really beautiful love story and definitely worth reading.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycocolith February 10, 2012

Delicious, must read, British drama!!

I absolutely loved this book!! The dialogue was both intelligent and entertaining. The characters were witty and well developed and the plot was extremely good! Must read for those who enjoy British Drama and/or romances with strong female characters.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhiphoph June 28, 2013

Austen

Pride and Prejudice has now been around for 200 years! When you read it, it's no wonder why people are still picking it up so long after it was first published. Jane Austen pulls you into the story so that you can't put it down. Pride and Prejudice is a love story set in the 19th century, where every woman must be married off. The heroine is Elizabeth Bennet, one of five daughters. Her mother, Mrs. Bennet is determined to get all of her daughters married off, most of the time not caring about whether her daughters love the man or not. The book begins with Mrs. Bennet's excitement over the rich and single Mr. Bingley moving near them. When Elizabeth comes across Mr. Darcy (a friend of Mr. Bingley), she decides that she loathes him. Will she change her mind? Elizabeth is a strong woman who speaks what she thinks. Mr. Darcy has a wonderful character growth throughout the book, changing for the better because of his admiration for Elizabeth. There isn't any sexual situations in the book, though one of the girls is suggested to have been living with a man before they were married. Most of the romance is sweet and pure, the slow process of courting. There's no foul language or violence. One minor character is said to drink and gamble a lot. Elizabeth has a good relationship with her father and her elder sister, Jane. Pride and Prejudice is a enjoyable story, that I'd highly suggest for people to read. Note: Though I said that it's on for ages 10+, I might wait until a child is bit older for them to be introduced to this book, so that they can fully enjoy it.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Teen, 16 years old Written bybible_girl June 2, 2015

Great Book

There are so many good role modals in this book (and bad ones). I especially love the words Jane Austen used to describe things. The words can get hard but if you read it on a kindle it will be much easier to understand. I recommend this to anyone who has a semi-decent vocabulary and who loves to read a little out dated English.
Adult Written byjsdgdjfgdjg June 2, 2015

Teen, 14 years old Written byashleighh February 26, 2015

Classic

your kid should read this by the time they are 18
Teen, 15 years old Written byHannah.Rose December 16, 2014

My opinion as a teenage student

If, you have/want to watch the MOVIE, then read this review. The movie has no nudity, the only sexual content is kissing, which does not occur close to often; basically only at the end in the movie does Mr. Darcy start kissing Elizabeth's forehead, cheek, chin, and then lips. I would say this movie is not good for someone 12 years of age or younger. Although there is no actual cussing or nudity or heavy sexual content, the movie does include multiple rude comments in old style English. With the film being old style English, anyone 12 years of age or younger, will simply not understand. The movie will become boring, and discourage such a young viewer, of ever watching the film again. A pre-teen will most likely not be able to comprehend the plot, or understand what they're saying until they are older.
Adult Written bySquidyman October 27, 2014

a guys review

Overall this is a decent book. Most guys would not choose to pick up this book, the book is often required reading material for school. Sure the book is not fast paced and "exciting", but I would say that pride & prejudice is at least an in site of the life of 18th century English upper class life style. This makes for a good history book with fictional characters. I recommend listening to it as an audio book. The only negative aspect of the book may be excessively judging others based primarily on their financial wealth.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjujube14 May 28, 2014

A classic and sweet book

I really like this book, but I have to admit it takes someone who can sit down and just completely melt into a book. Some hard vocabulary for younger kids. Really, really cute. And even though it's set in a different time period, I can totally see Elizabeth's spunky and sweet personality through Jane Austen's writing.