All member reviews for Princess Academy

Would-be princesses show grit, wisdom in empowering tale.

Teen, 17 years old Written bynewmillenium January 8, 2011

Perfect for young readers, enjoyable for older ones...

I loved this book when I was a tween and I still love it.
Parent Written byLollipop4508 June 17, 2011

The book is full of negative messages that are disguised as positive ones.

I know its a weird thing to say about a book, but its very true. This book is like a how-to for bad judgement. The hero, Mirri, just having learned to read that week, decides that she now has the keys to all problem solving. She doesn't question the idea that maybe just because she has read one book she doesn't have all the answers. The best example; She doesn't understand things like demand, and supply, but she learns that this weird rock that they get from the mountain is expensive. So she now "knows" that the traders are cheating her village, and can somehow stop them. Ok? How about the cost of hauling this rock through a mountain? She has no idea what that costs the traders. She has no idea if anyone out in the wider world even wants this rock at a given time. Maybe no one even is building a palace in the lowlands. So how exactly would she be able to force the traders to change their prices? She can't take the rocks to the cities herself. Maybe the traders simple can't afford to give a better price even if the price of the rock is theoretically high. UGH. There is nothing worse then an idiot with a teeny bit of knowledge. Thats Miri in a nutshell. Worse yet, she is exactly the same with rules. Miri thinks that she is the best qualified to know if a given rule is just or not. Im sorry? Maybe I think drugs should be legal. Does that mean I can act on it? You don't just break a rule because you don't like it. Only a sociopath does that. Maybe thats a very good point actually. Miri is as shallow and as egotistical a person as I could imagine. I doubt she will grow out of it. Do not give this book to a kid. They will not learn any good lessons, and plenty of bad ones.
Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2010

I COULDN'T STOP READING IT!

Thsi book was REALLY GOOD! i HAD BOUGHT THE BOOK (301 PAGES) and i sat on the couch for about 5 hours. because I could not stop reading it! TRUE STORY The one death as posted above was to a bandit that held the main character and threatened to kill her, he fell off a cliff, (no blood at all)So as like most comments I would say everything about the book, that will be a spoiler. So I could say is GET THIS BOOK NOW!
Kid, 11 years old June 2, 2011

Amazing

Great, excellent book... It's basically okay for any kid who can read it, I'm guessing about eight years old.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Great Book!

Shows Miri's strength throughout the story. Great detail, and when the kids get older they should read the Books of Bayern :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byMs.Readalot September 15, 2011

My favorite

I love this book! It has all the best things a book could have: action. romance (not yucky stuff), and you can understand how the characters feel! This book is by far one of my faves!
Parent of a 6, 11, and 11 year old Written byhermione-miri January 11, 2011

Possitive Role Models

Great Possitive Role Model
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byProudMommyYukiko March 11, 2010

Not Shannon's Best Work (HORRIBLE BOOK)

Well, To start off I loved the Goose Girl and my kids really enjoyed me reading it to them at night time. It was a great book and my kids begged ne each night for just one more chapter. When I found theis book at my local bookstore on sale I literally jumped up and down like a little child with a new toy. My kids went t obed early that night just to get in at least 4 chapters before bedtime. The beggining of the book was hard to get into and very complicated for my 8 year old daughter to understand. Why was it hard? Because how is she supposed too know what Goat Cheese and Love is all about. I continued on to read the book and Not only did my kids cry but I also went to my bed and cried that night too. I continued reading and got into the book. My daughters were very impressed at how Miri was so determined to learn. I went to bed and continued reading the book to myself. The ending was HORRIBLE. Miri worked so hard to become the princess and make a better life for her family but her bestfriend gets the title as princess. I knew that I didnt want my kids to think that If you worked hard you come up with nothing. So, I wrote my own ending and rip out the last pages and replaced them with a great happy version of the goat boy actually bieng the prince, If you know your kids are not the best in History or Big words and Idioms then I suggest you read it to them and explain. My personal view of the book was one of Shannon Hale's most horrible books.

Great Book!!!!!!!

Princess Academy is one of my favorite books. It is such a great book Iv'e read it 23 times.
Teen, 14 years old Written byepic April 9, 2008

a must read for any struggling or somewhat confused adolescent!

Princess Academy is one of the most touching and might I add cute books i have ever read. It is full of good morals to lead any preteen through life, but remind a teen what being a good person at heart is all about. This novel has inspired me to be a better person, and has had nothing but a positive effect on my life. I recommend this book to girls between the ages of 11 through fourteen(any girl older than that would view it as a simple fairy tale) and I'm pretty sure boys wouldn't be interested in this kind of story:) Miri is an aspiring character that all girls could only dream about being like. Her characteristics and traits displayed throughout the story shows a very judgemental girl evolving into a prim and proper lady who finds that people aren't always what others say they are. She is a shining example for girls everywhere and I can only wish that the book is read by all in order to get Miri's traits to spring up in the hearts of the young.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymusic_and_stuff_11 December 14, 2014

Great book for kids.

I read this book when I was 10 and still love it today. Miri and Peder are adorable and Britta is an admirable girl. The girls are brave and Katar has a change of heart (becoming less cold and opening her heart) The poems before each chapter are beautiful. I really enjoy/ed this book and think kids 9 and up will too.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythreelilac March 17, 2010

great book!

i only say eight and up because younger kids may have a hard time understanding it, not because of the content. If you have a six or seven year old who loves to read, this book is great! I remember picking this up in the book store and loving it after reading the first chapter!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreamscometrue January 5, 2009

i loved this book so much

i loved this book it showed that girls can be a princess however she is it is a very good book for young fairy tale readers

The best book by Shannon Hale

She is a terrific writer this is also a brilliant story . Way to go Shannon
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy January 12, 2013

My memories are very vague on this book.

It's been a while since I've read this book and I'm going on memory on this so forgive me if I mix this with some other book. I thought was really nice, I mean they gave the creeps to ban-dents just by reciting an old story now that is awesome. I like how the stones can transmit memories from one person to the other; she really investigates what she's curious about.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjellia223 April 1, 2012

Love Shannon Hale

I love all of these books. I remember this was one of the first i read. Right now I am reading "Midnight in Austenland"
Teen, 13 years old Written byemmad4 January 16, 2012

Very Cute

I had to read a Newbery book for my seventh grade English class. I chose it because it had a girly appeal. I landed up really enjoying it, the story was very cute.
Kid, 11 years old August 4, 2011

Best book ever

It was a really good book I would tell every girl to check it out!
Adult Written bykld2003 August 5, 2010

Even adults can enjoy this book.

I have read this book twice for two different book clubs and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't worry about the "girl power" stuff just enjoyed a book where the main charachter has to figure out her role in life. Miri is a a typical teen young woman who has doubts in some areas and confidence in others. I loved that she came from a family that loved each other instead of the usual "family in crisis" stuff usually included in modern fiction.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWarriors_Fanatic July 16, 2010