All member reviews for Princess Academy

Princesses show grit, wisdom in empowering tale.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Great Book!

Shows Miri's strength throughout the story. Great detail, and when the kids get older they should read the Books of Bayern :)
Teen, 17 years old Written bynewmillenium January 8, 2011

Perfect for young readers, enjoyable for older ones...

I loved this book when I was a tween and I still love it.
Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2010

I COULDN'T STOP READING IT!

Thsi book was REALLY GOOD! i HAD BOUGHT THE BOOK (301 PAGES) and i sat on the couch for about 5 hours. because I could not stop reading it! TRUE STORY The one death as posted above was to a bandit that held the main character and threatened to kill her, he fell off a cliff, (no blood at all)So as like most comments I would say everything about the book, that will be a spoiler. So I could say is GET THIS BOOK NOW!
Parent of a 6, 11, and 11 year old Written byhermione-miri January 11, 2011

Possitive Role Models

Great Possitive Role Model
Kid, 11 years old June 2, 2011

Amazing

Great, excellent book... It's basically okay for any kid who can read it, I'm guessing about eight years old.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySmartyPants23 September 21, 2010

awesome for any age

This book was one of my favorites since I was 8 years old. Shannon Hale is THE best auther of my life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMs.Readalot September 15, 2011

My favorite

I love this book! It has all the best things a book could have: action. romance (not yucky stuff), and you can understand how the characters feel! This book is by far one of my faves!
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byWe3ChinaC June 15, 2010

Not what I expected from the title (a good thing)

In an age where "princess" almost always equals a Disney-esque rendering of royalty, I was at first hesitant about selecting this book for my two girls but am SO glad we gave it a shot. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. It also provides a great contrast to the highly commercialized princess stories/fairy tales, which often incorporate a "love at first sight" aspect to the story line and can lead to good, age-appropriate discussions about the whole "knight in shining armor" myth. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is considering reading it!
Parent of a 4, 8, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byinspiredby February 24, 2010

Daughter & I both love this book.

Great book!
Teen, 16 years old Written byLobymustard November 11, 2009

Love it

I love Shannon Hale and this book of hers is wonderful. Its a great fairytaleish story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWarriors_Fanatic July 16, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byfliptastic818 April 9, 2008

Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2010

I really like this book!

The best book by Shannon Hale

She is a terrific writer this is also a brilliant story . Way to go Shannon
Teen, 14 years old Written bythreelilac March 17, 2010

great book!

i only say eight and up because younger kids may have a hard time understanding it, not because of the content. If you have a six or seven year old who loves to read, this book is great! I remember picking this up in the book store and loving it after reading the first chapter!

Great Book!!!!!!!

Princess Academy is one of my favorite books. It is such a great book Iv'e read it 23 times.
Teen, 14 years old Written byepic April 9, 2008

a must read for any struggling or somewhat confused adolescent!

Princess Academy is one of the most touching and might I add cute books i have ever read. It is full of good morals to lead any preteen through life, but remind a teen what being a good person at heart is all about. This novel has inspired me to be a better person, and has had nothing but a positive effect on my life. I recommend this book to girls between the ages of 11 through fourteen(any girl older than that would view it as a simple fairy tale) and I'm pretty sure boys wouldn't be interested in this kind of story:) Miri is an aspiring character that all girls could only dream about being like. Her characteristics and traits displayed throughout the story shows a very judgemental girl evolving into a prim and proper lady who finds that people aren't always what others say they are. She is a shining example for girls everywhere and I can only wish that the book is read by all in order to get Miri's traits to spring up in the hearts of the young.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreamscometrue January 5, 2009

i loved this book so much

i loved this book it showed that girls can be a princess however she is it is a very good book for young fairy tale readers
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

This book is awsome!!! Maybe even as awsome as Harry potter!

I could not put this book down it is one of those books where you are sad you are done and you wish it could be real! I really felt like i was in the book too!Every kid has to read this book its a good book. Its sad and sweet at the same time..... I think i will read it again! So bye i need to get started reading the most awsome book(besides harry potter) again!
Parent Written byLollipop4508 June 17, 2011

The book is full of negative messages that are disguised as positive ones.

I know its a weird thing to say about a book, but its very true. This book is like a how-to for bad judgement. The hero, Mirri, just having learned to read that week, decides that she now has the keys to all problem solving. She doesn't question the idea that maybe just because she has read one book she doesn't have all the answers. The best example; She doesn't understand things like demand, and supply, but she learns that this weird rock that they get from the mountain is expensive. So she now "knows" that the traders are cheating her village, and can somehow stop them. Ok? How about the cost of hauling this rock through a mountain? She has no idea what that costs the traders. She has no idea if anyone out in the wider world even wants this rock at a given time. Maybe no one even is building a palace in the lowlands. So how exactly would she be able to force the traders to change their prices? She can't take the rocks to the cities herself. Maybe the traders simple can't afford to give a better price even if the price of the rock is theoretically high. UGH. There is nothing worse then an idiot with a teeny bit of knowledge. Thats Miri in a nutshell. Worse yet, she is exactly the same with rules. Miri thinks that she is the best qualified to know if a given rule is just or not. Im sorry? Maybe I think drugs should be legal. Does that mean I can act on it? You don't just break a rule because you don't like it. Only a sociopath does that. Maybe thats a very good point actually. Miri is as shallow and as egotistical a person as I could imagine. I doubt she will grow out of it. Do not give this book to a kid. They will not learn any good lessons, and plenty of bad ones.