All member reviews for Princess Academy

Would-be princesses show grit, wisdom in empowering tale.

Teen, 13 years old Written byChocolate Princess October 25, 2015

Great book

Just to let you know, this book is not just for girls. A few of my guy friends read it and they said it was really good. I was reluctant to read it because of the title and the first chapter not being very exciting, but eventually, I read it in 7th grade, and loved it. I could have read this book when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, though. To summarize it: Miri is a girl in a small, mountain village. One day, soldiers come to their village and tell them that they need all of the girls 12-16. The soldiers say that the prophet said that the prince's wife would be from their village. The parents reluctantly agree to send the girls to a "princess academy." The teacher is a gruff, harsh middle-aged woman. Miri and the other girls learn great morals and make many friends in this great book. This is a good book for reading to your children at bedtime.
Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2014

I'm obsessed with this book

Before you read this review, I haven't finished this book. The story is about a girl named Miri and she lives on a village, but then the prince's assistant woman comes to open an academy to see who will become the prince's princess. It isn't violent as far as I know, the woman who opened the academy's name is Olana. When the girls are bad, she locks them in the closet or gives them lashes on their wrists. Towards the end of the book bandits come and trap Olana and the girls and the chef in the bedchamber and threaten them. A bandit hangs the youngest girl by her wrists.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

princess academy

Why do people hide their feelings behind anger and meanness? How does Miri learn to see past these personas? Also, why is Miri's home, which is a hard place, so important to her? Why does the tutor treat the girls the way she does? And, perhaps most interesting of all, could we apply the rules of diplomacy that are taught to the girls in our own lives?
Kid, 10 years old June 20, 2012

Read Princess Academy NOW!

I LOVE this book! I do think common sense totally under rates it- the review was written by a man, they wont get this. Anyway, Princess academy is full of positive messages about teamwork, standing up to authority, and the power of education and how to use it wisely and of course friendship and girl power. But the book isn't just for girls, my second grade teacher read it to our class and the boys loved it too. My mom read this to me when I was three or four and I really didn't get it but I read it to myself and loved it and have been rereading it ever since.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySmartyPants23 September 21, 2010

awesome for any age

This book was one of my favorites since I was 8 years old. Shannon Hale is THE best auther of my life.
Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2010
I really like this book!
Teen, 14 years old Written byqueenamb99 July 8, 2010

Nice book but, worried about the younger kids understanding!

From a teen/tween point of view this book is awesome. For a parent's point of view (I am not a parent) this book relly doesn't teach a lesson, but, it has a lesson in it. I don't think that it is for 9 year olds because at that age some girls might have a problem understanding the romance, trading, complicated words, and also the quarry speech. For a 14 year old some things took me a little while to put together but I got it. This book is a book that you would say uses "Girl power" as i would say!
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byWe3ChinaC June 15, 2010

Not what I expected from the title (a good thing)

In an age where "princess" almost always equals a Disney-esque rendering of royalty, I was at first hesitant about selecting this book for my two girls but am SO glad we gave it a shot. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. It also provides a great contrast to the highly commercialized princess stories/fairy tales, which often incorporate a "love at first sight" aspect to the story line and can lead to good, age-appropriate discussions about the whole "knight in shining armor" myth. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is considering reading it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCapeCodEmi May 15, 2010

Enjoyable for all ages

awesome book. great for elementary schoolers and adults have liked it too. Great role models
Teen, 13 years old Written byLissaNicky May 8, 2010

Girl-Power!

This was a good book that girls who love a good girl-power story will love. This book has action, friendship, love, courage, girl-power and more.
Parent of a 4, 8, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byinspiredby February 24, 2010

Daughter & I both love this book.

Great book!
Teen, 14 years old Written byoriginality95 February 22, 2010

Imaginaitve and Mesmorizing

This book is a perfect blend of adventure, romance, and girl power. Overall a perfect read for 5th-8th grade I'd say. I remember loving every bit of this books content, not one problem. I read this when I was 11, and thought it was awesome then and still do. Shannon Hale is a very talented author I recommend all her books. Her books are unlike the other tween books out their with very imaginative settings and far away places. Its the ideal read for a comfy weekend curled up on the couch. I read this in days!
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 8, 2010

Perfect for Kids!

i read this book when i was twelve; and loved it! it follows the story of a girl called miri as she is forced to enroll in the princess academy with many others. the girls must prepare for the prince to choose a bride. the mountain girls are un-educated and struggle to learn. although miri is unfairly punished in the first part of the book, she stays in at break to study (a good role model). kids who are as young as seven can read this book, but probably won't want to. great for kids!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byfourbluesixpink December 25, 2009

Great for tweens, and teens, and Mom's to read to younger daughters

I read this because my daughter was reading it. I really enjoyed it myself. I especially liked how they had a community with seemingly little power come together to show courage and overwhelming protection and love when needed.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLobymustard November 11, 2009

Love it

I love Shannon Hale and this book of hers is wonderful. Its a great fairytaleish story.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bycemontejo November 11, 2009
Teen, 16 years old Written bySceneTek November 1, 2009

perfect for all

love it i'm 16 & read this book this past summer as a joke my friend gave me it.. but i loved the stroy line & what i got out of it. so i passed it on to my 9yr old sister
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycrystalp September 23, 2009

A great read!

Great book for girls! It has very strong characters who have morals and want to learn as much as they can.
Parent of a 6, 9, 13, and 15 year old Written byfmlyfn September 14, 2009

My girls and I loved it!

This is a must read for anyone who likes adventure, fantasy and a little bit young love.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byBianca J. August 19, 2009

Satisfying ending for all!

Delightful, realistic princess story in fantasy setting.