All member reviews for Princess Academy

Would-be princesses show grit, wisdom in empowering tale.

Age

Teen, 13 years old Written byMs.Readalot September 15, 2011

My favorite

I love this book! It has all the best things a book could have: action. romance (not yucky stuff), and you can understand how the characters feel! This book is by far one of my faves!
Kid, 11 years old June 2, 2011

Amazing

Great, excellent book... It's basically okay for any kid who can read it, I'm guessing about eight years old.
Teen, 17 years old Written bynewmillenium January 8, 2011

Perfect for young readers, enjoyable for older ones...

I loved this book when I was a tween and I still love it.
Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2010

I COULDN'T STOP READING IT!

Thsi book was REALLY GOOD! i HAD BOUGHT THE BOOK (301 PAGES) and i sat on the couch for about 5 hours. because I could not stop reading it! TRUE STORY The one death as posted above was to a bandit that held the main character and threatened to kill her, he fell off a cliff, (no blood at all)So as like most comments I would say everything about the book, that will be a spoiler. So I could say is GET THIS BOOK NOW!
Teen, 14 years old Written byepic April 9, 2008

a must read for any struggling or somewhat confused adolescent!

Princess Academy is one of the most touching and might I add cute books i have ever read. It is full of good morals to lead any preteen through life, but remind a teen what being a good person at heart is all about. This novel has inspired me to be a better person, and has had nothing but a positive effect on my life. I recommend this book to girls between the ages of 11 through fourteen(any girl older than that would view it as a simple fairy tale) and I'm pretty sure boys wouldn't be interested in this kind of story:) Miri is an aspiring character that all girls could only dream about being like. Her characteristics and traits displayed throughout the story shows a very judgemental girl evolving into a prim and proper lady who finds that people aren't always what others say they are. She is a shining example for girls everywhere and I can only wish that the book is read by all in order to get Miri's traits to spring up in the hearts of the young.
Parent Written byLollipop4508 June 17, 2011

The book is full of negative messages that are disguised as positive ones.

I know its a weird thing to say about a book, but its very true. This book is like a how-to for bad judgement. The hero, Mirri, just having learned to read that week, decides that she now has the keys to all problem solving. She doesn't question the idea that maybe just because she has read one book she doesn't have all the answers. The best example; She doesn't understand things like demand, and supply, but she learns that this weird rock that they get from the mountain is expensive. So she now "knows" that the traders are cheating her village, and can somehow stop them. Ok? How about the cost of hauling this rock through a mountain? She has no idea what that costs the traders. She has no idea if anyone out in the wider world even wants this rock at a given time. Maybe no one even is building a palace in the lowlands. So how exactly would she be able to force the traders to change their prices? She can't take the rocks to the cities herself. Maybe the traders simple can't afford to give a better price even if the price of the rock is theoretically high. UGH. There is nothing worse then an idiot with a teeny bit of knowledge. Thats Miri in a nutshell. Worse yet, she is exactly the same with rules. Miri thinks that she is the best qualified to know if a given rule is just or not. Im sorry? Maybe I think drugs should be legal. Does that mean I can act on it? You don't just break a rule because you don't like it. Only a sociopath does that. Maybe thats a very good point actually. Miri is as shallow and as egotistical a person as I could imagine. I doubt she will grow out of it. Do not give this book to a kid. They will not learn any good lessons, and plenty of bad ones.
Parent of a 6, 11, and 11 year old Written byhermione-miri January 11, 2011

Possitive Role Models

Great Possitive Role Model

Great Book!!!!!!!

Princess Academy is one of my favorite books. It is such a great book Iv'e read it 23 times.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemmad4 January 16, 2012

Very Cute

I had to read a Newbery book for my seventh grade English class. I chose it because it had a girly appeal. I landed up really enjoying it, the story was very cute.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Great Book!

Shows Miri's strength throughout the story. Great detail, and when the kids get older they should read the Books of Bayern :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byWarriors_Fanatic July 16, 2010

Teen, 14 years old Written bythreelilac March 17, 2010

great book!

i only say eight and up because younger kids may have a hard time understanding it, not because of the content. If you have a six or seven year old who loves to read, this book is great! I remember picking this up in the book store and loving it after reading the first chapter!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreamscometrue January 5, 2009

i loved this book so much

i loved this book it showed that girls can be a princess however she is it is a very good book for young fairy tale readers

The best book by Shannon Hale

She is a terrific writer this is also a brilliant story . Way to go Shannon
Teen, 14 years old Written bymusic_and_stuff_11 December 14, 2014

Great book for kids.

I read this book when I was 10 and still love it today. Miri and Peder are adorable and Britta is an admirable girl. The girls are brave and Katar has a change of heart (becoming less cold and opening her heart) The poems before each chapter are beautiful. I really enjoy/ed this book and think kids 9 and up will too.
Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2014

I'm obsessed with this book

Before you read this review, I haven't finished this book. The story is about a girl named Miri and she lives on a village, but then the prince's assistant woman comes to open an academy to see who will become the prince's princess. It isn't violent as far as I know, the woman who opened the academy's name is Olana. When the girls are bad, she locks them in the closet or gives them lashes on their wrists. Towards the end of the book bandits come and trap Olana and the girls and the chef in the bedchamber and threaten them. A bandit hangs the youngest girl by her wrists.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy January 12, 2013

My memories are very vague on this book.

It's been a while since I've read this book and I'm going on memory on this so forgive me if I mix this with some other book. I thought was really nice, I mean they gave the creeps to ban-dents just by reciting an old story now that is awesome. I like how the stones can transmit memories from one person to the other; she really investigates what she's curious about.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

princess academy

Why do people hide their feelings behind anger and meanness? How does Miri learn to see past these personas? Also, why is Miri's home, which is a hard place, so important to her? Why does the tutor treat the girls the way she does? And, perhaps most interesting of all, could we apply the rules of diplomacy that are taught to the girls in our own lives?
Kid, 10 years old June 20, 2012

Read Princess Academy NOW!

I LOVE this book! I do think common sense totally under rates it- the review was written by a man, they wont get this. Anyway, Princess academy is full of positive messages about teamwork, standing up to authority, and the power of education and how to use it wisely and of course friendship and girl power. But the book isn't just for girls, my second grade teacher read it to our class and the boys loved it too. My mom read this to me when I was three or four and I really didn't get it but I read it to myself and loved it and have been rereading it ever since.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjellia223 April 1, 2012

Love Shannon Hale

I love all of these books. I remember this was one of the first i read. Right now I am reading "Midnight in Austenland"