All member reviews for Ramona the Pest

Ramona tale helps young kids build empathy.

Adult Written byMamiola April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byavidcritc April 9, 2008

when you need a good laugh

all of the ramona books are usually funny and sometimes so ridiculous that you blink and reread the section you've just read to make sure you've read it right. they are the type of books that are perfect for when you really need a good laugh. and they have influenced me more than i care to admit. ramona has a strange obsession with pulling the curly hair of a classmate and shouting "boing!" i read the book when i was eight, and to this day, whenever i am talking to a friend of mine who has very curly hair, at some point in the conversation i reach out, tug a curl, and say boing. she's resigned to it by now.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykk1024 November 13, 2013

i love this book

i love this book it makes kids like me think im 13 and I started reading books like this when I was 7
Parent of a 5 year old Written byamyj.carroll May 23, 2012

Refreshing story from a simpler time.

I loved reading this book to my 5 year old. It was refreshing to read about a simpler time. And my daughter really enjoyed reading something from the perspective of a five year old. There were many illuminating moments when I realized how condescending adults can be to young kids, for example when adults said things that I have heard myself saying in the past. It was a good lesson for me as well as a fun story for my daughter.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 October 5, 2010

A good book for any age

One thing about the Ramona books is that they appeal to all ages. It's funny to read what Ramona was thinking in the book, like when her kindergarten teacher told Ramona to "sit down for the present" but Ramona thought she meant an actual present. The only thing I didn't like about the book was how it seemed weird near the end, and some of the things that happen seem too normal and not very interesting. Ramona is naughty, but she isn't trying to be mischievous (for instance, when she kept pulling a girl's hair it was because she thought it was fun.)
Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2010
Adult Written byemikamc April 9, 2008

these ramona books are inspiring

i dont think you have acctually read a good book untill you have read ramona books.these books by beverly cleary are tremendous and are very good for reading at any age.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymoonjunio July 5, 2016

Good as a read aloud, consider skipping tooth fairy parts

The great thing about Ramona is how sympathetic her thoughts and feelings are. This series has survived the decades because it really gets into the everyday mess of kids' "little" problems that sure feel like a big deal. This was written when kids were routinely called "good" and "bad" based on their choices, and Ramona is often considered bad even though she doesn't mean to be. Dealing with parents, big kids, and even the nicest of teachers is a challenge for any kid, especially when they're always the littlest. Much like the Little Critter books, it's a delight for kids to see a protagonist who means well but doesn't always do well at first. I used this as an audiobook on a long drive and there were many questions, so I think a read-aloud is the best format with kids at least the first time through. There was some discussion of tooth fairy belief that you may want to keep an eye out for.
Adult Written byshair April 9, 2008

Fun For 6 year olds

My daughter and I read together every morning before scool. She really prefers chapter books because they are more geared toward her reading level. We love the Ramona books! I have found that they are generally clean, with the exceptions being language like stupid, brat, and dumb. Ramona gets herself into really funny, relateable situations. I find that I rarely do any editing.