All member reviews for Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1: The Ruins of Gorlan

1st in popular series has positive characters, some battles.

Teen, 17 years old Written byEliasador April 27, 2011

Breathtakingly Brilliant!!!!

It is the spectacular kickoff to one of the best series that I have read in a few years. I have just finished the fourth one and I loved it. I can't stop thinking about. I NEED the next one!!!! I cannot rest until I have the next one!!!! The only reason I am writing this review is because I do not have the fifth one at my fingertips. If I had it, I would be curled up on the couch until I had read it cover to cover, for these books are nearly impossible to put down.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBluegillkid January 26, 2011

This book rocks

It is a good way to get kids to read or to continue reading
Kid, 10 years old June 12, 2011

BEST SERIES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best book ever I can't think of a reason why someone would hate this book. I usually hate reading but I finished this book in one day Other recommended series by me are the percy jackson series, the underland chronicles, the hunger games troligy, the kane chronicles, and the heros of olympus, and the diary of a wimpy kid series
Kid, 11 years old December 31, 2010

hate the BOOK
Parent of a 9 year old Written byjuneliz59 August 25, 2010

Love it, sorry the author chose to include some language

Love the story. My son said he couldn't put it down, and I agree! I am bummed that the author chose to put the D-word in about six times -- it really wasn't necessary to the story. For now, though I have decided to let my son read it because of all the positive messages and the very intriguing story line.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bycvanorder June 22, 2010

Love the series

Both my boys love this series. Great role models and positive messages. Characters are well developed and the story line moves at a good pace.
Kid, 11 years old July 12, 2011

Parent of a 7, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byHousewifespice April 30, 2010

Family Favorite

Love this book! Love the series! We listen to these audiobooks on family roadtrips and everyone enjoys them. Lighter than Lord of the Rings, but destined to be classics.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRockbinder September 12, 2011

The Best Book I Ever Read!!!

I actually read this book by accident. I was searching for some other book and found this one, I found the cover interesting so I started reading it. After I read it, I highly recommend this to those who don't believe in themselves, or are always getting bullied. This book will teach them to sometimes rely on other and always believe in one's self.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheMythologyGeek May 9, 2011

Perfect for all ages!

Amazing book! I am now reading the ninth, and almost finished. John does use the 'D- word' several times, but it's not too bad. The messages are very good. Although, the book can be a bit over detailed. But he is Australian so it's as expected(they're like british is their writing, stretching it out a bit). But over all amazing!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byHula Gator John May 13, 2010

Perfiect for tweens.

The whole family loved the series. Good role models, team work, counting on others, trust, hoiw to deal with disapointment, delaied gratification. Also beleivable fictional places and likely events.
Adult Written byShaneS 1 April 19, 2015

Awesome book series :-)

I think you should be above 10 there is a little bit of swearing and some violent scences but other than that it is the best sereis of books I've read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBooklover123m December 14, 2014

Awesome Characters and plot.

I love this book!!!!! It is a quick read but is in a fairly long series, Definitely recommended.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byNice Mommy November 29, 2014

I really think this is okay for younger kids

I'm usually the first one to say something is not okay for an age group everyone else says is fine. But aside from occasional language and stopping to explain the bullying, we have not found this objectionable for our interested almost 7 year old. It is really encouraging him to read and of course, he wants to be a ranger. The story has finally brought in our resisting 9 year old who thought it would be "boring".
Teen, 13 years old Written byLil'Fires2001 September 28, 2014

Absolutely Amazing!

Just finished reading the entire series for the second time. I really enjoyed the first book because it was very intriguing. Ruins of Gorlan caught my attention and got me really into the book, constantly keeping me on the edge of my seat. Whether or not someone likes the book is completely up to taste in books. all throughout the series, there was not ONE boring moment for me. Every kid (adults too) should read at least the first book.
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2014

Best book ever!!!!!!!!

I think this is a great book for kids who are into medieval time and like knights and weird creatures. It is not a scary book but it does have war in it.
Kid, 9 years old December 29, 2013

THE BEST

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER! well the whole series is.
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2013

Gets you hooked the moment you read it!

I love this series! There is mild swearing and a little violent but it is after all the Middle Ages and you would expect a little violence. But other than that it is a wonderful series. I just finished the fifth book and can't wait to finish the series. Halt and the other adults are good role models to the teens. So basically give it a chance and you will be amazed! :D
Teen, 16 years old Written byRollTide0131 March 6, 2013

AWESOME

This book is awesome I read it and it has definitely ranked upon my top ten favorite books list!!!
Kid, 10 years old October 27, 2012

Lord of the Rings like fantasy

Review by rsm2. Great fantasy story that feels like lord of the rings. Lots of violence but to good to miss. A must read for fantasy lovers!