Exciting, funny, futuristic thriller about online games.

Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2014

A geeks' dream (but anyone would love it:)

When I finished Ready Player One I was stunned. It had everything that a good book should have; plot twists, fore shadowing, characters with personality, action, humor, you derived knowledge from it....... Sorry! I tend to get excited about amazing books. When I read this book I didn't read anything that bad unless swearing and game violence makes you uncomfortable (all the language is basically smack talk as it does often appear in games). Also, it might make you feel upset because they live on what was once our world but now is ruined because of what humans did to it. It might also frighten someone because it shows what people would go to get money. I will never forget this books and the messages and new ideas within it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 29, 2013

Awesome Novel Abounds With Profanity

This amazing novel from Ernest Cline features heavy language (f*ck, s*it, a**, b*tch, and every other bad word you could think of). If your kid is a fan of Ernest Cline's work on Buzz Feed, or his massive Internet presence on his blog, expect him/her to become interested in this one. There is a lot of violence, but almost all of it is in a video game, outside of one person's death in real life. I think it does have a positive message, that hard work and teamwork will result in great rewards. There is no sexual content, but there is a brief reference to masturbation (it takes up about half a page) and another brief reference to simulated sexual content. However, the narrator dismisses it as sad and pathetic. A couple of scenes take place in clubs, and two characters order alcoholic beverages, but this is in no way promoting consumption of alcohol. If your kid has already been exposed to offensive language, this should be fine. I, personally, read this when I was 12, and it had no effect on me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude57447434 September 11, 2013

My review

This is a must read for anyone who is interested in the 1980's the movies the music the video games everything is to the T and I liked it a very Orwellian vibe
Teen, 15 years old Written bymckenzie_11 July 7, 2014

Ready Player One

I loved this book! I was some what skeptical at first because my dad recommend it to me but it was amazing! If you're into or grew up in the the '80's then you should definitely read it. It may be a little hard for some younger kids to get the references and does have some strong language from time to time, but even with that it was still wonderful. Even though it's length may make a teen think twice about picking it up, it is a quick read and extremely hard to put down. Not only is it a great teen book but it would also be really interesting for any adult who experienced the '80's since it refers to things like Atari, many of the original pixelated games, movies, music, game manuals such as Dungeons and Dragons. It's a real page turner and I can't wait til it hits the big screen! I hope they do it justice!!
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byEmily55555 November 21, 2015

Tech nerds will absolutely love it

I read this and it has a lot of language that is inappropriate for most tweens. Also has sexual content not described in this review. Masturbation and other references. Who will love this book: people who lived in the 80's or want to learn about video game and pop culture history. Nice friendship message at end.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythisisanawesomeread June 25, 2015

It's a great book for teens

I think the book was great and that it is a great book for video game and movie lovers. It has references to movies and video games and music that are from the 1980s and 1990s .It is a great book over all I loved it
Parent Written byKateM 4 January 4, 2016

80s geek fest that appeals to teens too

All of our family enjoyed this book a lot, it's a fun read with a good plot and engaging characters. Maybe British people swear more than those in the US, but I can't imagine any UK child of secondary age (11/12 upwards) being in the least disturbed by the language used in this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEnglishPenguin January 9, 2017

Dystopian future about gaming utopia is lots of fun.

While the book does present problems it doesn't really answer, (such as, why is everyone ok with living in a virtual world that acts as a drug to stave off their horrible everyday lives and what could happen if the game suddenly was destroyed or the fact that what if the worlds crappy condition is partially due to the majority of the human population caring more about a virtual world?) other then those its a pretty decent book to be categorized as YA (I'm sorry, but most young adult books are the same formula over and over again.) The characters may not be the best, but the sheer amount of work Ernest Cline put into creating a living breathing (albeit paper) VR world is amazing. The book is basically a celebration of the future of games (which is scary) and of the origins of games. The book did have some questionable materiel though, violence wasn't much of a problem, most of it was virtual. As for language, there is a fair deal, several F-bombs, but overall, considering its based on a VR world where gamers can chat openly, its incredibly mild (I'm looking at you Call of Duty chat) The book is also very funny, but not overly so. There is some inappropriate content, maybe a paragraph to skip, but its still fairly mild considering its online chat. One charterer (SPOILER?) is eventually found to be a lesbian, so, yah..... Overall, this book was just fun, I didn't really think it had any deep messages (except big corporations are evil and the 80's was amazing) but if your just looking for a fun book, I would highly recommend this one.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJudetheDude December 9, 2016

A great book

This book is probably one of the best I have ever read. Sure, there is some violence but only a brief reference to sex. The book features the "future" and the VR gaming world. In this book there is a game that you can be anything you want. The main character stumbles upon the first clue placed by the creator to be the owner. Then he is in a mad race against teen and adults, willing to do anything to win. Then it gets bloody. I think that it is a good book and is a good recommendation.
Kid, 11 years old November 22, 2016

Amazing Book!

This is an awesome and amazing book! The big concern here is the language. The characters all say "f--k," "s--t," "ass," "a--hole," "damn," and more well over two dozen times. There isn't much violence , and the sex isn't much. Read this book!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byRyan805 November 18, 2016

From a 14 year old bookworm I can say that this is the best boom I have ever read.

This story is amazing. It does contain some relationships as well as a few swear words here and there. There is also some reference to drugs. but it's not the base of the story. If you are on the edge, I would suggest you read it (you should either way, its great for all ages) and then decide if it is inappropriate. This story to sum it up, is the love child of 1980's culture and dungeons and dragons. Please read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySunbr3aker September 27, 2016

Excellent Book!

This book was very well written and I genuinely enjoyed it. It has an amazing adventure plot. So of course the adventure itself is epic. I loved the main characters, they have almost nothing in common with each other and they still get along quite well. It has fairly consistent swearing and has some sexual references, but the book itself is amazing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzkromminga July 22, 2016

The Best I Have Read in my Life

A great read for teens or adults who love video games OR* 80's pop culture. If you do not want your teen reading books with explicit language, this is not the book for you, but really, if you don't want your teen hearing explicit language, cut off access from internet TV, movies, video games, and school. *Note you do not have to be a gamer to enjoy this book.
Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2016

I Love This Book

I love this book. Ready Player One is an amazing book about a character obsessed with a fake Oasis world. While this book has several curse words it is a great book for kids. It gives them something to relate to -being obsessed with the online world- and it also teaches them about the 1980's which is very interesting. I loved reading about this and mentioning it to my father who gladly talked about it with me. It brought us closer together and gave us a good topic to talk about. The book has a few scenes that could possibly be a bit too much for kids action wise, explosions, death threats, etc, but nothing anyone couldn't handle. While I am a twelve year old myself, I do read a lot higher than my grade level. (The Fault In Our Stars, How To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.) So, if you feel that this is a bit too much that is understandable. I do highly recommend this book to anyone around the age of 12, if they're okay with a little bit of cursing. It has several great lessons and a great plot that absolutely captivates me until the end.
Teen, 14 years old Written byILoveCSM May 1, 2016

SUPER AWESOME BOOK

Ready Player One is a great book for ages 13 and up. This book is all about virtual reality (VR), and a scavenger hunt for the ultimate easter egg. This book is great for geeks (and anyone) who like 1980's pop culture. There is a lot of profanity, though, some heavy suggestive themes, but other then that, its fine. I would highly recommend this book!
Adult Written byseequinn April 2, 2016

Thought provoking and nostalgic.

Entertaining read with themes that reminded me of 1984 (Orwell). Very rich in popular culture from the 1980's (music, film, video games and more). A wonderful book that has made me and everyone I've recommended it to remember why I/they love reading and makes you what to immediately read more like it (great for someone who hasn't picked up a book in a while) There is a small section that discusses masturbation, but it's quite educational. The audio book - voiced by Wil Wheaton - is also fantastic.
Parent Written byHUGOMANHD October 6, 2015

Great For geeky kids who love technology.

A great story my son tells me, it dose have some Curseing here and there But I think it's ok because I read half-way until I got a bit board but overall a great Story, just tell your child to NEVER reapeat the language.