All member reviews for Ready Player One

Exciting, funny, futuristic thriller about online games.

Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2014

A geeks' dream (but anyone would love it:)

When I finished Ready Player One I was stunned. It had everything that a good book should have; plot twists, fore shadowing, characters with personality, action, humor, you derived knowledge from it....... Sorry! I tend to get excited about amazing books. When I read this book I didn't read anything that bad unless swearing and game violence makes you uncomfortable (all the language is basically smack talk as it does often appear in games). Also, it might make you feel upset because they live on what was once our world but now is ruined because of what humans did to it. It might also frighten someone because it shows what people would go to get money. I will never forget this books and the messages and new ideas within it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 29, 2013

Awesome Novel Abounds With Profanity

This amazing novel from Ernest Cline features heavy language (f*ck, s*it, a**, b*tch, and every other bad word you could think of). If your kid is a fan of Ernest Cline's work on Buzz Feed, or his massive Internet presence on his blog, expect him/her to become interested in this one. There is a lot of violence, but almost all of it is in a video game, outside of one person's death in real life. I think it does have a positive message, that hard work and teamwork will result in great rewards. There is no sexual content, but there is a brief reference to masturbation (it takes up about half a page) and another brief reference to simulated sexual content. However, the narrator dismisses it as sad and pathetic. A couple of scenes take place in clubs, and two characters order alcoholic beverages, but this is in no way promoting consumption of alcohol. If your kid has already been exposed to offensive language, this should be fine. I, personally, read this when I was 12, and it had no effect on me.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymckenzie_11 July 7, 2014

Ready Player One

I loved this book! I was some what skeptical at first because my dad recommend it to me but it was amazing! If you're into or grew up in the the '80's then you should definitely read it. It may be a little hard for some younger kids to get the references and does have some strong language from time to time, but even with that it was still wonderful. Even though it's length may make a teen think twice about picking it up, it is a quick read and extremely hard to put down. Not only is it a great teen book but it would also be really interesting for any adult who experienced the '80's since it refers to things like Atari, many of the original pixelated games, movies, music, game manuals such as Dungeons and Dragons. It's a real page turner and I can't wait til it hits the big screen! I hope they do it justice!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude57447434 September 11, 2013

My review

This is a must read for anyone who is interested in the 1980's the movies the music the video games everything is to the T and I liked it a very Orwellian vibe