All member reviews for Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution

Devastating portrait of brutal political movement.

Teen, 16 years old Written byhotfertea February 16, 2009

I got bored

This book is very boring. I do feel pity for her life and what happened but she makes it sound so boring. If you have no life or friends or awareness of whats fun, then read this book. For those of you in touch with reality, don't read it, it's very boring and the name Grandpa Hong made me crack up. By the way, Ji-Li Jiang has very bad grammar.
Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2014

Really awesome

I think this is an emotional book and I like how it is actually REAL, and it makes everything clear about the Cultural Revolution. I read this book when my mom bought it when I was nine and I'm Chinese so my grandma told MY mom that the Cultural Revolution took most things wrong. I think this book explains that. Also to parents, I have no idea why people think this is for ages 12+. I understood it perfectly fine when I was 9 years old. The only thing bad about this book was that I think the ending was huge cliffhanger, although it did explain a little at the epilogue.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

A life-changing book!

Every American child should read this!! This is one of those books you can never forget- sad, moving, and heart-breaking!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLaAnDfAbItY April 9, 2008

I cried

It was horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^_*

The most capturing book i have ever read!!!

this is the first book i have read completly with deep understanding. i am 12 years old and this book taught me a lesson don't abuse your powers of what you have. be happy of what you have and the freedom we have in this country because in the country in this book has no freedom and you relize people have much less thhan you!!! I sugjest you read this me!!!
Parent of a 2, 4, and 12 year old Written bymominashoe March 30, 2011
My son read this for his 6th grade Pre-Ap Language Arts class. He said he liked it just fine. I read some of it to him and it left me wanting to read the whole book. I did have to explain to him what a "sanitary belt" was, other than that we didn't have any concerns with the book.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2011

Terrible for anyone

This book is terrible! I can't believe some1 actually published this!!! If I had a choice I would never have read it. It could've been an okay book if someone she weren't soooooo boring and if the author actually wrote it, i felt as tho the author was just throwing things in there instead of piecing it all together. One of the worst books I've ever read.
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2010
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2010

Great book

Teen, 13 years old Written bydancingdivaz May 13, 2010

It's horrible. I feel bad for Ji-li and all...... but the way she describes it, uhmm -BORINNGGGG!!!!!! It's like, THE WORST BOOK EVER.
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2009

ages 14+

i am reading this book at school and im 12 years old, we have to read it but i dont understand a thing !
Parent of a 16 year old Written byannyonmousgirl October 11, 2009

Dare to explain?

this book will have you stashing kleenex in nearby spots, its a heart wrenching story of a chinese girl who was brought up believing that the loyalty of her family should be traded for the help of bettering the community and society. This book truly captures the struggle of a teenage girl in a communist government struggling to battle many inner demons and outer. It contains deaths, abuse, and other things that are looked down on in our society, but in hers, people simply look the other way. I truly believe if you read this book you will see, we as Americans are lucky.
Adult Written bymusic724 January 15, 2009

Must read for everyone

this book was so GOOD! and it was really touching. The only thing that was kind of bad for children was when An Yi's grandma committed suicide