All member reviews for Redwall: Redwall, Book 1

great

very good novel.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLvl100uberpidgey January 7, 2010

Great book!

Most teens will likely say "Talking animals who go on adventures? How incredibly stupid!" I was a bit skeptical at first, but this series of books is incredible! They are very well written and leave you wanting more, which is okay because as of the time I wrote this review, there are about 20 books in the series, and all of them are stellar and live up to the amazing first book!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypaperback.writer February 1, 2010

Favorite bookseries

Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 November 13, 2009

Wonderful book, but too violent for young kids.

I love this book, and all of the other books in the Redwall series that I've read! This book does contain some intense violence and mild language, so I'd say 12+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadinthirtymin October 27, 2011

book with detail

Its a great book the whole series is great but you should read it to your kids the words are very sophisticated and hard to understand so you might have to explain like what a habbit is
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

Wonderfully written, but...

This is a wonderful telling of a medieval abbey inhabited by mice, hedgehogs, badgers, hares, otters, and squirrels. (I think that's it...) This is the first in the series, and by far the one with the most plot and character developement. The detail is wonderful and, well...descriptive. (This is written in the style of Watership Down, another wonderfully written book, though it has a slow part toward the middle.) There is some violence. Some of the nice mouseys (as one of my younger friends describes them as) die deaths described in sometimes too much detail. Brian Jacques (pronounced 'Jakes') is setting up the rest of the series in this one volume. My mom has a comment though:"All the Redwall books have the same plot; something threatens the [Redwall] Abbey, and the main character goes on a quest for something with some other characters. The rest of the characters stay at the abbey and try and defend it. The questors (sp?) come back at just the right time, and save the abbey until the next book." This comment, for the most part, is completely accurate. I love this series personally, but sometimes requires multiple reads to completely understand it. Once you do, you will read them even more.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 7, 2010

perfect for adventure lovers!

Redwall is a great book for kids who love animals and fantasy. This book has a good dose of adventure in it. The violence isn't too realistic to scare younger kids and the plot is good enough to keep readers hooked.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKate Dawson April 9, 2008

wonderfull Books

The whole Redwall series is an excellent book series. They are adventerous, exciting, and have great morales behind them. They do have some confusing words, but these books are well worth reading!I would suggest them for kids about 10 or 11 and up. The Violence in them is very mild, and is no worse than Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, or Pirates of the Carribean. The Redwall books are amazingly well written, and are a must read for anyone into adventure, even adults would appreciate them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRivern October 1, 2010

Marvelous Tale of Adventure and Lore

The book Redwall has always been one of my all time favorites. It's meaningful, it's smart, and it has a very good moral to it. The plot revolves around a young mouse, Matthias, that helps around the Abbey. When the evil Cluny the Scourge comes to Redwall with evil intent, it's up to young Matthias to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior, located deep within the cave of the dreaded adderhead, Amadeus. While Matthias goes through incredible challenges and faces his worst fears, he finds himself and true love along the way. A message to parents: This is a marvelously written book that will positively affect your child. Because it's tween and teen oriented, it has a great deal of violence, which can get brutal at times. However, Brian Jaques doesn't go into too much detail about deaths, just phrases like 'The sword went right through his middle, his eyes lulling back in his skull'. A message to kids: I remember back when I was eight or nine, I stumbled upon this book at the library. I thought it looked interesting and brought it home, only to find it was much better than I expected. I would strongly recommend checking out this book; it's almost as if someone is giving you a personal overlook as to what is happening.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybap425 April 9, 2008

Very entertaining, read in three days!

This is a great book, but must have pretty good reading skills, as it is very long and some language is hard to understand, moles in particular. It is about 400 pages long. Just because this book is about animals does not mean it is a little kid book. I think you should be about ten to read this, if you can handle harry potter you can definetly handle this.
Kid, 9 years old November 29, 2009

redwall

it is a very good book including adventure,and violence
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

For Redwaaaaaall!!!! Medieval Times Mixed With Animals!

How could I describe Redwall? The only book I love to read with an entire cast of animals! A little mouse is a lot more threatening with a legendary sword, no? I really enjoy this series! It is chock full of action, adventure, and comedy! As long as you know medieval speak, know that this is awesome!

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

My Favorite Book Ever!

The title says it all!

Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

one of the best series ever...

this book is really good, and if u like it u should check out the others in the series!! an awesum original, hard-to-put-down book, it keeps u hooked to the very end!!! however i would make sure u know wut ur kid and or u are able to read...cuz for kids it could be kinda hard bcuz of all the different dialects, and in all of the books there is violence. however, i found that the heros always taught great morals and etc. and the story is so good that they may read it anyway, and its also good for them to learn to read with all that kind of thing, instead of just normal english. a great book! even better ones are outcast of redwall, rakkety tam, and the bellmaker.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

great

great and action-Packed.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypakibadboy April 9, 2008

An awesome book for all ages!

I have most of the Redwall series and have read more of it. Brian Jacque's captivating descriptions of feasts and wars can make anyone feel like they're in the book itself. I love the feel of the story and that he breaks it up into three smaller books, so you can pace your reading to a 'book' every two days. I recommend it to anyone who like fantasy and animals, but not for those who don't like a good medieval battle.